Had to do it...DELIVERED 9/16/16

There was no cosmoline to deal with; it was very clean.

T

Sorry, I meant in general as a cleaning agent. I've heard a few people recommend it, but I thought it was a little odd for firearms. But again, heard more than one suggest it, it appears more commonly recommended for stocks. I sometimes wipe a very light coat of ballistol over my Mosin's stock.

Nice,

A few notes for those not knowing or curious.

M1s for the most part from the CMP can be anything from complete right from the crate or put together with parts on hand.

CMP not only received complete rifles from the US ARMY but parts also. Receivers, barreled actions, barrels. CMP has been assembling rifles for some time.
Long gone are the cosmo encrusted rifles right from the crate. Anything of any real value goes to the CMP auctions.

Also near the end of the M1 garand general issue they where putting out guns together with anything they had on hand along with other countries so if there where 1943 barrels kicking around in a aresenal they didnt go to waste.... about 15 years ago one of the guys in our club bought a case of M1 and M1d barrels all looked brand new (i believe it was 30 barrels per case) dates ranged from 1941-1949 and I believe all the M1D barrels where late 60s ?

I love the M1s and really like inspecting them to see what you find...

I have had a few "rare" parts come through on cmp rifles which I have been able to sell or trade for other parts for my rifles.

Time I think I have a forged SA trigger assembly I dont know how to date them but Im pretty sure its all SA inside? Been a few years since I looked at that rifle. I lost my data sheets in a pipe leak and looking for time to redo them.

looking forward to range report!

as far as getting your request: That depends on who pulls your order. When the fine people are assigning the rifle to your order if the order processor knows the serial number ranges they can for fill your WWII request. From what a few people I know who actually have worked or volunteered at cmp the rifles are all graded and boxed up ready to go before they even start filling orders. So knowing what wood is on it might be tough unless there is some inside code that shows new or old wood ?

The fact that there seems to be some good GI wood this time around either they came across a few cases of wood or rifles with good wood.

one club member went down for the build your own M1 while back and when in one of the wharehouses on a little tour they where unboxing crates of barreled actions... so you never really know what you are going to get from the cmp.

You get a nice rifle for 730$ shipped thats about all you can count on.

Last edited:
Sweet. Do you find simple green works well? I thought about getting some for decosmolining but leaned towards mineral spirits. Do you ever do M1 matches? I've been meaning to check out one in Pembroke one of these days.

there are only 2 matches left this year........ come on down your gun or club gun no problem.... I will be there the next 2 matches. we will get you dialed in. If you have a half decent 100 yard zero you wont have any issues... basically you add 2 moa or 2 clicks up from you 100 yard zero and that will get you close at 200.... come on down

there are only 2 matches left this year........ come on down your gun or club gun no problem.... I will be there the next 2 matches. we will get you dialed in. If you have a half decent 100 yard zero you wont have any issues... basically you add 2 moa or 2 clicks up from you 100 yard zero and that will get you close at 200.... come on down

Nice. I'm an aspiring M1 owner, so I'd use a club gun but that's fine with me. It's nice to have that option and I think it's great that it would allow someone like me to participate. Hopefully an M1 can become milsurp #3 in my safe someday. Too bad I couldn't get started 10 years ago.

I read a flyer for the M1 match and it sounded like it would be a blast. 10/16 might just work...

Went to the range as it is closed tomorrow for a woman's shoot and its raining Sunday. First we shot 5 bottles of water with the 1914 Colt in .38 special using the 50gr. 1500fps SD rounds. Made 'em jump a little.

Kid then wanted to sit in the car. Used 2 en-blocs to sight it in. First shots were at 2:00 (50 yards, '69 HXP). I then moved both sights the wrong way; the group moved up and then right. Meh. Corrected and put 6 of the second 8 in the circle. Put the last en-bloc into a pumpkin. Looks like 4 hits. Everything functioned fine.

90 minutes of chatting on CMP forums netted me an even trade for a correct SA trigger group.

T

Nice. I'm an aspiring M1 owner, so I'd use a club gun but that's fine with me. It's nice to have that option and I think it's great that it would allow someone like me to participate. Hopefully an M1 can become milsurp #3 in my safe someday. Too bad I couldn't get started 10 years ago.

I read a flyer for the M1 match and it sounded like it would be a blast. 10/16 might just work...

Very good. Club guns are excellent at Pembroke. All are 10 ring capable.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to the range as it is closed tomorrow for a woman's shoot and its raining Sunday. First we shot 5 bottles of water with the 1914 Colt in .38 special using the 50gr. 1500fps SD rounds. Made 'em jump a little.

Kid then wanted to sit in the car. Used 2 en-blocs to sight it in. First shots were at 2:00 (50 yards, '69 HXP). I then moved both sights the wrong way; the group moved up and then right. Meh. Corrected and put 6 of the second 8 in the circle. Put the last en-bloc into a pumpkin. Looks like 4 hits. Everything functioned fine.

90 minutes of chatting on CMP forums netted me an even trade for a correct SA trigger group.

T

Nice .. I have had so much luck on cmp forum

Rifle needs only 1 click of elevation. That will probably change at 100 yards. The low flyer was from a flinch. The correct trigger group for 6/44 includes a SA-5 hammer, SA-11 safety, a SA-12 trigger housing, stamped floorplate and milled trigger latch.

Went through the rest of the case, paperwork, etc. You no longer get a free Shoot-N-See target; they must be cutting back.

T[wink]

Last edited:
I didn't get a target with mine that I bought 3 years ago. Got the dvd and chamber flag, clip, and book

you're gonna make me go check now!

I swear that foam was out of that case at least 6 times over the years! Then one day my daughter said what's this...little corner peaking out. Lift foam and sure as PING.
Theres a target. I found the video M1 America's rifle a few weeks later the same way in another case from a more recent purchase.

7532f3395b4fe403e01b5e03d11b962a.jpg
3eb84afbc14ce92190191c74497f6b8e.jpg

Arrived today. SA 4-64 rebuild, SA 1-64 barrel, IHC bolt and trigger group, NM oprod. Stock has great figure, RIA FK and I believe SA EMcF cartouches.
c4103963a8babf8492b76c66a47deacd.jpg

7532f3395b4fe403e01b5e03d11b962a.jpg
3eb84afbc14ce92190191c74497f6b8e.jpg

Arrived today. SA 4-64 rebuild, SA 1-64 barrel, IHC bolt and trigger group, NM oprod. Stock has great figure, RIA FK and I believe SA EMcF cartouches.
c4103963a8babf8492b76c66a47deacd.jpg

Sweet detail strip clean and get it ready for Pembroke M1 match on 10/16

Soxfan9, wow, nice Rifle. I have 2 SA rebuilds and a soft spot for them... Don't change a thing on that rifle.. It's "correct" as a rebuild.

Edit.. is the stock bedded? SA did this on their rebuilds.

SoxFan9, Very nice! Looks like your metal is in better shape than mine...mine has a few pits and rough spots.

My traded trigger housing came today, so I basically have a 'correct' grade rifle now with a SA-5 hammer, SA-11 safety, and SA-12 trigger housing. I'm not going to look in detail at the follower and linkage, nor the rear sight assembly.

Hope to get out and try it at 100 yards before I'm shut down with surgery on the 28th.

T

Soxfan9, wow, nice Rifle. I have 2 SA rebuilds and a soft spot for them... Don't change a thing on that rifle.. It's "correct" as a rebuild.

Edit.. is the stock bedded? SA did this on their rebuilds.

No, it's not bedded. I'm not changing anything.

SoxFan9, Very nice! Looks like your metal is in better shape than mine...mine has a few pits and rough spots.

My traded trigger housing came today, so I basically have a 'correct' grade rifle now with a SA-5 hammer, SA-11 safety, and SA-12 trigger housing. I'm not going to look in detail at the follower and linkage, nor the rear sight assembly.

Hope to get out and try it at 100 yards before I'm shut down with surgery on the 28th.

T

The metal is very nice. I'm interested to see how this one shoots, the barrel looks great.

I'd love to make it, have to check the kids hockey schedules. How long does the match usually take?

Starts at 9 and depending on how many shooters 3 relays will bring us to 1pm.
Depends on how smooth things go also... if there is a lot of line stoppage and to much bull shitting it can take a bit longer. Ideally each relay should run under 45min with about 10 min between relays for pit change.

T

Hanson has their 3rd Sunday shoot coming up 12pm. Non match easy going shoot. Bench or positions doesn't matter.

Nice rifle Sox. I'm planning to go to the October M1 match. This thread is really compounding the sadness of not having an M1 though. Going to turn me into that crying Michael Jordan photo.

Starts at 9 and depending on how many shooters 3 relays will bring us to 1pm.
Depends on how smooth things go also... if there is a lot of line stoppage and to much bull shitting it can take a bit longer. Ideally each relay should run under 45min with about 10 min between relays for pit change.

Show up earlier for paperwork, squadding and a safety briefing, etc

Back
Top Bottom