Had to do it...DELIVERED 9/16/16

Orion full spring kit came today. Nothing in the eStore yet. Should be soon - snail mail 8/26th are being processed.

There is hope for a nice one; there have been a couple of LEAD '60s rebuilds and early serial numbers.

T[angry2]

Last edited:
I noticed they were available again after I had already put money down for a different non-M1 acquisition. I honestly half expected them not to come back. I've probably missed the train on good priced options for Garands. I guess there's always CMP matches to try to scratch that itch. With the cost/availability of appropriate 30-06 (based on what I've read) I'm not sure how often I'd get to take it out.

My first service grade was $550 in 12/2011; the price had just gone up $25 while my order was waiting in the queue - and it wasn't grandfathered. It was $650 a couple of years ago, and now its $730. Any forum, including this one, they are now $900-$1500 for ex-CMPs.

T

Almost wet myself (well, I do have a catheter in from today's surgery). I saw my CMP ID# first when looking in the eStore a few minutes ago; #255578. I thought I was getting a Garand from June of '41!

T

[pics]

Last edited:
I bought my m1 from the department of civilian marksmenship in 1989 for $65.00. I remember they left the box in the driveway and my mom was mad she almost ran it over. Times have certainly changed.

Ouch. My Bear Super Magnum 44 compound bow cost about twice that with arrows and other accessories in October of 1989. Still have it, and occasionally plink at a target back at 30 yards.

T

Last edited:
DBU'd at 9:10 this morning. No SN yet in eStore. They were advertising 2-4 weeks, and my DBU was 19 days from snail mail, so they are on schedule.

T[smile]

Last edited:
I thought I had heard the Garand shouldn't take current production loads as they're too hot or something. Maybe this is overstated. I guess you could always reload your own.

to a point yes its over stated.... its all about port pressure at the gas port. Some loads with have a powder that produces to much "port" pressure creating a condition where the excessive pressure cause the op rod to slam back vs pushed back against the resistance of the op rod spring.... think in terms of getting hit with a fast ball vs a knuckle ball.

the end result is you get into reloading.... its not hard and does not require a lot of equipment.... for the cost of a case of M1 safe ammo you can buy a reloading set up powder and bullets and have a good head start. or bight the bullet and buy the 10 case limit from the CMP should give you plenty to shoot over the years unless you plan to compete often.

to a point yes its over stated.... its all about port pressure at the gas port. Some loads with have a powder that produces to much "port" pressure creating a condition where the excessive pressure cause the op rod to slam back vs pushed back against the resistance of the op rod spring.... think in terms of getting hit with a fast ball vs a knuckle ball.

the end result is you get into reloading.... its not hard and does not require a lot of equipment.... for the cost of a case of M1 safe ammo you can buy a reloading set up powder and bullets and have a good head start. or bight the bullet and buy the 10 case limit from the CMP should give you plenty to shoot over the years unless you plan to compete often.

The M1 was originally why I got into reloading years ago. I knew the HXP was going to run out...and it is.

poking around the CMP forums guys posting 9/12-13 reporting shipped on the 14th would not surprise me if yours ships today or friday

Looks like I got what I wanted; Springfield (well to tell the truth, I was hoping for a Winchester), WW2 date, and USGI wood. For wood I actually got an original SA stock, not a post war. The stock has been sanded and the cartouche is faint, but you can see SA in the right light angle. I put the piece of lichen right over the point of the "A". Wood is very good with some ding, dents, and scuffs. Receiver at 2.96M is definitely 6/44, but the barrel is marked 5/43 (?). Barrel is also 1 ME and 2+ TE.

Bolt is 12-SA (end 3/44)
Op-Rod is 6-SA (end 12/43)
Trigger assembly is pure HRA

Looks like a keeper. At some point I would like to swap the trigger group for a SA group.

T

Very nice! The outdoor setting seems to be the proper one for a nice set of Garand photos. Even though it's just text, I've always enjoyed the stamping on the receiver. Something authoritative and commanding to me. I like the style centered text this one has. Was it IHC that did the justified text? I don't quite recall. I think it might've been only a certain amount (maybe certain years, post-war if I recall) that they did that.

Tomorrow morning I add the measly second milsurp to my "collection". Unfortunately, not an M1 (or a K98k). I just know that by the time I have enough saved to order one from the CMP, they won't be taking orders again. Do they bill you as soon as they receive your mailed order, or just when they fulfill it?

They bill just before they ship.

T

That's good. Though since they're currently shipping fairly quickly, I guess it's kind of moot. If they were on the months-long lag like they were before, I could try sending an order now and saving in the interim.

Do you think they tried to take your requests into account, or it was just coincidence? It sounds like they ended up adhering to it. To be honest, I never would have thought about making a specific request, but I guess nothing ventured means nothing gained.

Of the three I've ordered, they all came through. Two were post war USGI stocks, and one was a USGI stock off a Danish Garand.

T

Cleaned, greased, and dressed. All the stock needed was a wipe of simple green on the wood followed by a coat of Howard's Feed and Wax. A shot of CLP down the bore followed by a bore snake left it bright and sharp. I didn't rebuild it with the spring kit yet; lets see how is works first.

T

Sweet. Do you find simple green works well? I thought about getting some for decosmolining but leaned towards mineral spirits. Do you ever do M1 matches? I've been meaning to check out one in Pembroke one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom