Had to do it...DELIVERED 9/16/16

My 1917 Colt comes up a little short for the clasp. Perhaps if the leather was worked or a little of the edge relieved, it would work.

T

any possibility thats a revolver holster ? IIRC they are very close in design. I always though the strap went across the back of grip..... you carry a 1911 cocked and ready to rock.

100 yard trip. 73 degrees, humid, light rain, light breeze. All rounds '69 HXP from tin. Added a click of left windage and of elevation before starting. Shot 2 enblocs into the left target, quickly adjusting the elevation to ZERO clicks. Put three enblocs into the right target. On the second one I aimed a little low to see the group and circled it. Then fired one more for good measure.

Best of the 4 Garand's I have owned.

T[banana]

Last edited:
holy SMOKES that is the nicest looking Garand I've ever seen! the patina on that stock is amazing!

for the expressed purpose of being able to blame YOU personally for the lack of money in my bank account coming up, as this thread forced me to fill out/mail another order form this week for my THIRD m1 garand...i have the WWII springfield...the tractor gun...and now i'm hoping for the H&R because my grandfather worked there in the 1950's after his tour in the air force (which was after his tour in the south pacific in the navy, which was after his tour in north africa fighting Rommel with the army)...trying to complete the collection here at some point.

Looking good. In general, does there seem to be much variation in the accuracy on M1s for different surplus? I've noticed my Mosin is noticeably more accurate with certain types of surplus.

Looking good. In general, does there seem to be much variation in the accuracy on M1s for different surplus? I've noticed my Mosin is noticeably more accurate with certain types of surplus.

As with anything some rifles will shoot better than most and some lots of ammo will shine vs others.
If you look into the accuracy specifications of Ball ,M2, .30cal it's not great. In a nut shell it is average of 5 MOA so if they tested 100 lots as long as the average mean radius was X the ammo was accepted. So you could have ammo that might shoot 8 MOA to 1 MOA as long as the average is 5 or better.
So far my best scores have been with 1968 HXP that came in cardboard containers. I have 1 tin left.

I no longer shoot HXP for score as i can load better ammo for less.

In a nut shell if you can hold the black of a SR 1 target you the ammo and rifle are doing well.
Hold the 10 ring even better.

My 1942 SA service grade will hold the black well in a new stock but not so much in the stock it arrived with.
My HRA 1955 will shoot better.
My rifle with well fitted new stock and new Criterion barrel I built last year will shoot around 2-3 moa with hxp and around 1.5" with reloads.
Now if I bed the action and so the National Match upgrades might get closer to 1 moa.

For the record on a good day I'm a 3 moa shooter...good days are getting harder to come by!

Last edited:
As with anything some rifles will shoot better than most and some lots of ammo will shine vs others.
If you look into the accuracy specifications of Ball ,M2, .30cal it's not great. In a nut shell it is average of 5 MOA so if they tested 100 lots as long as the average mean radius was X the ammo was accepted. So you could have ammo that might shoot 8 MOA to 1 MOA as long as the average is 5 or better.
So far my best scores have been with 1968 HXP that came in cardboard containers. I have 1 tin left.

I no longer shoot HXP for score as i can load better ammo for less.

In a nut shell if you can hold the black of a SR 1 target you the ammo and rifle are doing well.
Hold the 10 ring even better.

My 1942 SA service grade will hold the black well in a new stock but not so much in the stock it arrived with.
My HRA 1955 will shoot better.
My rifle with well fitted new stock and new Criterion barrel I built last year will shoot around 2-3 moa with hxp and around 1.5" with reloads.
Now if I bed the action and so the National Match upgrades might get closer to 1 moa.

For the record on a good day I'm a 3 moa shooter...good days are getting harder to come by!

Nice information. I've heard M1s referred to as accurate, but accurate for WW2 military and accurate for 2016 bench shooter with optics demanding sub MOA are two different things. There would presumably have to be some potential there, given the existence of M1C and M1D. Obviously not your standard issue, but still an M1 at the core.

Then again, they made Mosin snipers, and I would not count myself as particularly accurate with it. Then again, it could be the rifle since it's the only 91/30 I've tried.

Nice information. I've heard M1s referred to as accurate, but accurate for WW2 military and accurate for 2016 bench shooter with optics demanding sub MOA are two different things. There would presumably have to be some potential there, given the existence of M1C and M1D. Obviously not your standard issue, but still an M1 at the core.

Then again, they made Mosin snipers, and I would not count myself as particularly accurate with it. Then again, it could be the rifle since it's the only 91/30 I've tried.

4moa was GTG for the snipers too. Think about it. They used the same M2 ball as every other M1. So other than just careful selection of barrels there was not a lot done to the snipers.
M1 D .....look at that design and tell me if you think it's "accurate". Then look at the scope.
From one club member who was a sniper Korean war the "sniper" rifles on average where more consistent in accuracy than a rifle off the rack the optic extended our range that's about it.
What made the big difference where putting someone behind the rifle who could shoot.

Now as for accuracy of the M1 I have not found a accuracy standard set for new production M1s I can only assume the army laid down the base line of shooting as well as M2 ball ? Also remember ammo was tested from a Mann accuracy device or simular test barrels.

The M1 Over haul manual states (again they test in batches and get a median average, which allows a certain percentage of guns that suck out the door)
At 1000" INCHES 5 consecutive shots must fall with in the out line and the group should be no larger than 1.77" measured from the center of the group. The manual also suggested firing 3 warm up shots.
Gives the rifle only 2 chances to pass. It allows front sight correction and 2 clicks +/- from the base setting of 8 clicks up to get the group with in the box.

The 3 warm up shots are a indication of the know trait of the M1 to toss the first round anywhere but where you want it to go.

Here in this post you can see the targeting and accuracy target used.
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...racy-and-targeting-quot?highlight=M1+accuracy

Last edited:
Never been a huge fan of the M1 snipers. Now an 03A4 or 4gery would be another story. For a pre-WW1 era - early ww2 rifle, the springfield will still hold it's own, even with irons. Earlier this year I shot a 192 on a reduced 600 yard target during 20 round slow fire. All but a few shots were touching each other. Beat the AR guys that day too :)

a 1903 or a3 with a decent stock and barrel will embarrass all but the most ultra tuned M1/M1a with equal shooters behind the sights.

the 1903 accuacy standard was 2moa also though they where shooting the more accurate 174 grain bullet then
my reproduction A4 will put my best lot of HXP into just under 1.5" groups with little effort as long as im on. Im sure i could shoot sub moa with it if I had the skills with reloads. I have come close but hover at the 1" mark and my 5 shot groups re always ruined by me and pull a shot !

Sad to read on the CMP Forums that some are "unhappy" with the Service Grades they have received... before shooting them.

what, you didn't actually expect them to SHOOT the rifles? that would be SO uncivilized!

i emailed a gentleman yesterday to offer to swap a few parts between our M1's to make them more 'correct', and he basically told me to pound sand. i was pretty confused about this reaction until I realized that most people don't actually enjoy their rifles as much as I do. as soon as I get a box from the CMP, that rifle gets dismantled and finger-****ed and inspected (totally different from finger ****ing, ftr) that there will never be a mystery in one of these things. i love old rifles...more than I love my new rifles somehow even though they don't shoot QUITE as well. but not everyone is as passionate about these chunks of metal and wood as some of us.

even in 'mixmasters' each part has a history, and some of them have traveled the world (and have markings confirming this)...researching and uncoding this history seems pointless to some, but to me it's a way to connect to the previous generations of men in this country who believed in freedom as it was intended by our forefathers.

what, you didn't actually expect them to SHOOT the rifles? that would be SO uncivilized!

i emailed a gentleman yesterday to offer to swap a few parts between our M1's to make them more 'correct', and he basically told me to pound sand. i was pretty confused about this reaction until I realized that most people don't actually enjoy their rifles as much as I do. as soon as I get a box from the CMP, that rifle gets dismantled and finger-****ed and inspected (totally different from finger ****ing, ftr) that there will never be a mystery in one of these things. i love old rifles...more than I love my new rifles somehow even though they don't shoot QUITE as well. but not everyone is as passionate about these chunks of metal and wood as some of us.

even in 'mixmasters' each part has a history, and some of them have traveled the world (and have markings confirming this)...researching and uncoding this history seems pointless to some, but to me it's a way to connect to the previous generations of men in this country who believed in freedom as it was intended by our forefathers.

I wish I could upvote this twice. I enjoy reading and scouring for data on everything about milsurps. I love the accessories that came with my Mosin and SKS. I like to try to imagine the people that were hammering and machining my 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 in the factory with war all around them.

For me, the history is inseparable from the item. I enjoy asking and answering (when I can) questions about milsurps. I'm new to the milsurp game, but I would say that I am passionate about it.

There's just something about milsurps that please me more than modern production pieces. I enjoy those, too, but not quite the same. If I'm lucky enough to get an M1, I am sure I will spend plenty of time trying to decipher and learn all that I can about it. That, and shoot it...a lot.

A service grade rifle from the cmp is rated on 2 things 1st a certain amount of muzzle and throat errosion or wear. Then overall condition its a balance of these that gets "graded"
I hade a rack grade 1943 SA that looked like it was sand blasted with gravel and the wood was about as loose as 2 slabs of wood bound with elastics around the receiver BUT it had a brand new (at least it looked that way) 1957 barre everything else was worn well....it functioned fine and I could shoot into the low 400s with that rifle. Although the trigger sucked and the serations on the reciever where worn so no positive "clicks" and sometimes the sight would drop.

Any one who complains about a cmp service grade usually wont even bother emailing CMP CS or sending it back.

I have recieved 4 out of 7 M1s from the cmp with broken op rod springs and 1 cracked op rod.....all which where quickly replaced after a email to CS. I kept the rifles as I found it a waste of time to ship complete rifles back and forth...

I also challenge anyone to find a better deal on a service grade rifle for 730$ shipped......

Nice! I kind of want to start filling out an order form for when I'm ready to send it in, but I know that as soon as I'm done with it, I'll start trying to find ways to justify sending it right away.

Just received my service grade today.It is my first cmp order I couldn't be happier
july of 42 Springfield
45 Springfield barrel
62 Springfield rebuild electric penciled
cmp stock
normal mix match but should be a good shooter

Just received my service grade today.It is my first cmp order I couldn't be happier
july of 42 Springfield
45 Springfield barrel
62 Springfield rebuild electric penciled
cmp stock
normal mix match but should be a good shooter

Gonna make it to the match? Yep, seems like it should be a good shooter.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice rifle Sox. I'm planning to go to the October M1 match. This thread is really compounding the sadness of not having an M1 though. Going to turn me into that crying Michael Jordan photo.

If you had not already heard, the club rifles are great shooters. Hope we see you there...

Mountain said:
If you had not already heard, the club rifles are great shooters. Hope we see you there...

I've never done a match before but I am planning on going to the October one.

Gonna make it to the match? Yep, seems like it should be a good shooter.

going to try, it's at the Pembroke club if I remember. I belong to Hanson and might try to get to one of those first to get an idea of what to expect

going to try, it's at the Pembroke club if I remember. I belong to Hanson and might try to get to one of those first to get an idea of what to expect
HANSON RUNS A CMP SHOOT 1st saturday 8am and 3rd Sunsay 12pm every month. laid back easy shoot...bench, positions and just about any rifle
Hanson is a shoot but you will see how the course of fire is run and get a zero on your rifle.
Hanson you can shoot positions or from the bench no pressure from the clock. Perfect for first time and testing rifles... I go to Hanson over the winter months.

Steve , Russ and Paul are great guys and full of info and there to help.

I,will toss a reminder at you for pembroke

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom