• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Had a friendly argument with a friend this weekend...

I personally do not blame anybody at Sandyhook elementary. I dont believe that in our great country that any child in any school should ever be in danger in the way that those children were. The only persons I blame for the tragic events that took place there are Adam Lanza and whomever didn't properly store the weapons that he had no right to have access too. God bless those children and the families that have had to deal with the tragedy that happened there. But though I wouldn't necessarily disagree with having security placed in our schools to protect our children I really find it a shame that we need to concern ourselves with this kind of protection for elementary aged kids in this supposedly wonderful country we live in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The Cumbria massacre in the UK claimed 12 dead and 11 injured. The gunman used a double barrel shotgun and a bolt action rifle. Where there is a will to kill, there is a way to kill.

The problem with "sensible" restrictions, is that the left's end-game is complete disarmament and will use the guise of "sensible" restrictions to further whittle away your rights until you have nothing. In 1994, it was a 10 round mag limit. Now, NY has a 7 round mag limit with other states looking to follow. Soon, it's going to be 5 rounds, then 1 round, then no rounds...

One of the most effective means of combating the whole "reasonable restriction" and "mental health screening" arguments (at least from my experience) is..
I ask... who gets to decide what is reasonable? What's reasonable to one man may be borderline to another and completely unacceptable to a third. So who gets to decide?
Same with mental health screenings. I have seen some great shooters and highly responsible gun owners with very "varied" personalities. So who gets to decide? What makes one person's opinion more correct than another? Who will you say is qualified to decide what you can and cannot do in this life?

I personally do not blame anybody at Sandyhook elementary. I dont believe that in our great country that any child in any school should ever be in danger in the way that those children were. The only persons I blame for the tragic events that took place there are Adam Lanza and whomever didn't properly store the weapons that he had no right to have access too. God bless those children and the families that have had to deal with the tragedy that happened there. But though I wouldn't necessarily disagree with having security placed in our schools to protect our children I really find it a shame that we need to concern ourselves with this kind of protection for elementary aged kids in this supposedly wonderful country we live in.

Do we know if his mother had not secured her firearms? Are we 100% sure the firearms all belonged to her?

I personally do not blame anybody at Sandyhook elementary.

If you, as a matter of policy, forbid people under your control to defend themselves, YOU are obligated to do so. The "powers that be" did not. I almost lost a friend in that building that day, and twenty-six people DID lose their lives there. So I take it personally.

Last edited:
So I guess I don't even understand the whole machine gun argument either, why did we give in on that one to begin with. The way I read the second amendment is like this: Because having an army is needed to make the free nation survive and because that army, in the wrong hands, can do terrible thing, the people need to be unrestricted in what they can posses in order to combat that army and government. Seems pretty simple to me.QUOTE]
therein lies the conundrum. Where do you draw the line? Machine guns or semi-autos? There will never be a perfect answer. Being a history buff of sorts, I was thinking about this while on Battle Road in Lexington and Concord. Go walk it sometime its a great place. Those lobster backs were marching to Concord to guess what? to seize ammo and weapons of the local citizenry. Sound familiar? The Brits were equipped with some of the best weaponry of the time. Our guys had good weapons but did not have the cannons and other ordinance of the British Army. I believe the ability of Americans to put up a reasonable defense in the face of a tyrannical government was what the founders had in mind when they wrote the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] amendment. They were thinking of Lexington and Concord.

No translate that to modern times the disparity between military and the citizenry weapons is now so wide it will never be close that’s obvious. But what I like to point out is the armed citizenry should at least have the firepower similar to the police and a common military ground pounder. I stopped an anti with this argument when he said I was arguing that citizens should be able to possess tanks, F-16s, grenades and rocket launchers, blah blah. I am not, but a semi-automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine was certainly a legitimate weapon for self-defense and in the hands of many responsible citizens is a powerful deterrent to a tyrannical government or police force. Usually when you point this out, the constitution is an out of date document written by old white men argument comes out, that’s when you got them. I then invite them to leave the country.

I am not completely sure where Adam acquired the weapons he used so I didn't specify this fact in my posting because I couldn't be accurate. I am interested in knowing the answer to that and exactly what he had to do to get them. Did he just open a closet door and there they were or did he spend hours breaking into a gun safe? I don't believe they have ever said.
I am sorry that you are personally connected to the tragedy there. It is absolutely awful. I do have to stick with what I said before though... as bad as what happened is the people to blame are the ones who perpetrated the crime. You can not start blaming innocent people because they were not prepared for such a horrific event. Thats the same kind of reasoning that the liberals are using right now to try to strip our rights away from us. What we have to do is change policy so that it doesn't 1.) Infringe on our constitutional rights 2.) Allows for the safety of our children 3.) Keeps firearms out of the hands of known mentally unstable individuals like Adam Lambert.

"They were not prepared for such a horrific event" - this from the same cast of characters who claim this is an EPIDEMIC. Well... which is it?? Are we having an epidemic of these kinds of incidents, or is this an unpredictable, isolated case? Or is it a rare case of a sociopath, capitalizing on the brittleness of the "gun-free zone" model of "security" ?

Classic misdirection. Adam Lanza could have walked into that school with not much more than a goddamned BLUNDERBUSS and still wreaked the same havoc. Why? Because NOBODY there was in a position to stop him.

Frankly, I've had it with the horse hockey about this. The failure was clearly on the part of the "custodians" of those children, who failed in their duty to protect. And I am not willing to let them off the hook.

The problem goes deeper than any individual or small group of individuals. As a whole, American society has fallen into this false government security blanket. Rainbows and puppies are on every corner and bad things only happen in movies. The public is disconnected from the evils of the world and can't comprehend the situations when they happen here.

The problem goes deeper than any individual or small group of individuals. As a whole, American society has fallen into this false government security blanket. Rainbows and puppies are on every corner and bad things only happen in movies. The public is disconnected from the evils of the world and can't comprehend the situations when they happen here.

That is certainly true. However, it still remains that the governing authority sought fit to disarm all competent adults, as a matter of law, my friend included. Then, said authority, having done so, failed to provide adequate protection to compensate. The irrational act was in the FORMER, i.e. the disarming of reasonable people in an obviously hostile world.

That is certainly true. However, it still remains that the governing authority sought fit to disarm all competent adults, as a matter of law, my friend included. Then, said authority, having done so, failed to provide adequate protection to compensate. The irrational act was in the FORMER, i.e. the disarming of reasonable people in an obviously hostile world.

Gov is a reflection of society, the people have become lazy and complacent with their oversight, and this is the gov we get in return. If the people demanded freedom, the gov would give it, they wouldn't have a choice.

If I was a school teacher, I wouldn't care what the law is, I would carry to school. Let them arrest me after I save a school full of children from a crazed gunman. Wouldn't you rather be alive anyway? Good people need to start ignoring ridiculous laws, we all do it everyday on the roads, why not go a little further?

This gov has gone full retard, following every little bit of their moronic "laws" means you have too.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
Thomas Jefferson

If I was a school teacher, I wouldn't care what the law is, I would carry to school. Let them arrest me after I save a school full of children from a crazed gunman.

The problem, as a practical matter, is, given the (extremely remote) odds of being involved in such a situation, and the (rather ordinary) odds of having one's weapon discovered, carrying illegally in this instance cannot overcome the cost/beneifts calculus.

And as I pointe out in another thread, a SpaceCritter shot full of holes is a mighty sad sight, so, as regards disregarding the moronic laws, unless I can be assured of a bunch of you at my side...

Last edited:
I would rather find away to remove access to weapons from people who are mentally unstable than to have mall cops with guns providing security in my daughters schools. Lets be honest.. you know that they would end up with minimally trained, minimum wage security staff in public school systems that hit a bullseye from 7 yards with a 22 caliber revolver 6 times and passed a simple background test. Not a kid loving ex marine highly skilled/trained overqualified individule that we would all envision in that position. So as I feel that it is an enormous over reaction to the situation that the liberals are trying to take my firearms away because of this event I feel just the same as it would be to shove armed guards into schools. I believe strongly that we must make changes to insure the safety of our children. Policies are weak and need to be strengthened. The answer is not to take our 2A rights away as the liberals would like but maybe some locked doors, bullet proof glass and a security entryway like in a federal building would have kept Adam away from the children? Maybe a proper gun safe would have kept the weapons out of his hands? There are a lot of questions that this tragedy has created and unfortunately none of us has the answer because only time can tell what the proper reaction to insure this won't happen again is.

1. You will NEVER remove access to weapons from those who are mentally unstable. Why? Because, they will CREATE them, if they cannot obtain them. Gasoline is a mighty fine weapon.

2. Fine libertarian that I am, I would be remiss were I not to suggest that, mayhaps, the problem is with your damnable gub'mit schools, to begin with, and their asinine and irrational policies.

3. Unless you have some special access to the records of J. Paul Vance and friends, we - including you - really cannot say anything about what the Lanza family may or may not have had in terms of weapons, gun safes, ...

I agree... they will always find a weapon. If he went in there with a can of gas then Obama wouldn't be trying to strip our rights and this conversation wouldnt have ever happened. I also agree and said in an earlier post that I have absolutely no idea what Adam went through to procure the weapons. But I do believe that some minimal security policies and features could have saved those children from gas or a gun... I'm an engineer at a pharmaceutical packaging plant and with the minimum security we have at our facility he would have been able to do nothing but throw lead at the outside of the building. I would have to believe these same features could easilly be implemented in our schools. Why is it that policy allows people to just walk into schools. A short entryway, some bullet proof glass, a camera/intercom, a airport type metal detector and some remotely locked doors could have eliminated his ability to get into the school.

But I do believe that some minimal security policies and features could have saved those children from gas or a gun...

The policy they were lacking was anyone in the building able to mount an effective defense.

As for "camera/intercom" or locked doors... or even security cameras... the building had them. It met the standard security criteria for the gub'mit schools today. Didn't help.

I am about as liberal a gun owner can be. I absolutely love the hobby of shooting but never believe that I will be in a situation that a gun will be the difference between life and death. My guns reside in a safe, I rarely conceal carry, I don't hunt, and the majority of my family, neighbors, friends don't even realize I own any firearms so I am definitely not a guns blazing, 2A quoting, self militia. With that being said, I absolutely under no circumstance am willing to freely give up any of my constitutional rights for no one, no matter what kind of liberal pansy a$$ excuse they have accepted in their sheepish minds! I feel that if you find it necessary to have a fully outfitted AR with all the trimmings and you believe that you need it for whatever reason then god bless the constitution for granting you the right to. As long as you follow the laws, respect the responsibilities that owning a firearm comes with and don't do anything that makes it harder for me to own my firearms then have fun!
I am tired of all the gun control, anti gun, Newtown fanatics (starting with Dictator Obama) trying to restrict my rights and turn me into an OUTLAW in my community because I believe in the second amendment and my/your right to bear arms. I fear that this is all building up to something that is going to come to a head and negatively impact our hobby, protection, way of life…

Part of the problem with where we find ourselves today as a country is that "liberals" have basically become big government fascists - "conservatives" have become big government fascists - and the rest of us are left to try and live out our lives in the meat grinder that they have created.

This country was founded by "liberals" - they were surely doing something pretty radical when the established the country. They believed in sovereignty of the individual - with all of the rights and responsibilities that came with that.

I bitch about "liberals" all the time - mostly because that's what the worst of them call themselves.

If more "liberals" actually would defend the principles that this country was founded on - then we would be in a lot better place right now.

these are some great responses. and i completely hear every one of you. ive been reading alot on here every day and i understand the frustration. it was difficult to argue with this particular individual because he owns a firearm, and his house contains many. i suppose i had the thought of how much hypocrisy i was hearing from this person.

he owns a gun, is telling me he believes in gun rights and that he is on my side, but kept inserting all of these negative/crooked comments in the midst. here i am trying to make my points and getting all fired up over it, and hes yelling back at me 'IM ON YOUR SIDE' and all i can think is, no your not. if he truly believed in protecting his right to bear arms, there would be no 'wiggle room' for government interference.

When he says: "I'm on your side" - you need to say " NO you're NOT" - and then lay out the reasons why.

You need to learn to deconstruct people's arguments and rip apart their logic.

Watch some Jan Helfeldt interviews on how pissed off he gets people by ripping apart their arguments - find the interviews of the politicians - those are the best ones:

The Bottom Line Interviews by Jan Helfeld - YouTube

Got into an argument with a guy I work with a few weeks ago. This is someone I’ve been talking to about this subject since I was applying for my LTC and who has told me about all his guns, scopes, wish list, etc. He only has an FID and looked at me funny when I told him I was applying for an LTC; I guess that should had tipped me off.

Anyways, I made a random comment in the kitchen about how something would soon be “banned for our safety” and he throws in “Well I agree with the NRA”. At this point I was a little confused about what the NRA had to do with anything so I asked him; to which he replies

“Well nobody needs these assault weapons and 20, 30, or 60 round clips (yes, clips)”

Again I ask him to elaborate on his explanation of assault weapons after correcting his terminology.

“Come on you know what I’m talking about. Those guns that look like the military ones and that shoot 1,000/2,000 rounds a minute”

Now this went on for a while with him telling me how easy it is to convert an AR-15 to a machine gun and so on. Seemed no matter how much I tried to educate him, he wasn’t having it. I realized how long we had been arguing and that his ass needed to get back to work and I really needed to get some orders in (plus was about to start insulting his intelligence) so I ended with let’s just agree to disagree. He didn’t seem to understand that I really did not agree with him, so he laughed and walked away. Needless to say I avoid that subject with him as much as possible now. I’m thankful it wasn’t a good friend, just a wakeup call of who can have this outlook really.

The whole " let's agree to disagree " thing is where you dig yourself a hole.

You first need to educate yourself (if you haven't already) so that when you get into one of these arguments - you rip the guy apart with fact and detail - and then you finish him off with not a " let's agree to disagree " but a : " the reason why I'm ripping you a new one is because you are just plain WRONG - I know this stuff inside and out - and you are simply completely WRONG"

The 1000 rounds a minute thing is classic - I had somebody pull that one on me recently and I told them " Look - I have a walk in safe in my basement that is FULL of "assault weapons" - if you believe that any single one of them will shoot 1000 rounds a minute I will let you pick out one of your choice - I will take you and that firearm down to the range with 1000 rounds of ammunition - and if you can shoot 1000 rounds a minute thru it - and I WILL TIME YOU - then I will give you $1000 - if you can't do it - then you owe me $1000. If you don't take the bet - I'm going to accept that as your admission that you're full of shit".

Obviously that didn't end well - but he has never brought up the "1000 rounds a minute" thing again. And there was like 4 other people watching that debacle - and 2 of them start asking all sorts of questions afterwards.

See - one of the reasons you make other people look like idiots - in PUBLIC - is because it's a teaching moment for all of the other people in attendance.

Right. If the state has fully-automatic weapons, then the people need fully-automatic weapons. Instead, we're largely left with semi-automatic equivalents, which are obviously inferior in capability, and now the private ownership of these are being threatened.

I'll rhetorically ask, "How can the citizenry go toe-to-toe against a tyrants armed forces with bolt-action rifles?" Of course, we know the answer to that one. They can't. Which is exactly the point.

Actually - that's not really true.

The Army and Marines actually don't put full auto capable rifles into the hands of normal infantrymen - and as far back as WW2 the ground pounding branches of the military found that simply putting full-auto light weapons into the hands of the average infantryman didn't result in higher enemy kill rates - it just resulted in a bunch of wasted ammo.

The M14 was originally designed to be full-auto - they stopped doing that when they found it was simply uncontrollable at full auto.

There's a reason why the BAR was such a heavier weapon than the Garand even they both shot the same round.

I just read recently the Army and Marines too I believe - are equipping the average infantryman with semi-auto.

It's hits that count - not ammo expenditure.

So I guess I don't even understand the whole machine gun argument either, why did we give in on that one to begin with. The way I read the second amendment is like this: Because having an army is needed to make the free nation survive and because that army, in the wrong hands, can do terrible thing, the people need to be unrestricted in what they can posses in order to combat that army and government. Seems pretty simple to me.QUOTE]
therein lies the conundrum. Where do you draw the line? Machine guns or semi-autos? There will never be a perfect answer. Being a history buff of sorts, I was thinking about this while on Battle Road in Lexington and Concord. Go walk it sometime its a great place. Those lobster backs were marching to Concord to guess what? to seize ammo and weapons of the local citizenry. Sound familiar? The Brits were equipped with some of the best weaponry of the time. Our guys had good weapons but did not have the cannons and other ordinance of the British Army. I believe the ability of Americans to put up a reasonable defense in the face of a tyrannical government was what the founders had in mind when they wrote the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] amendment. They were thinking of Lexington and Concord.

No translate that to modern times the disparity between military and the citizenry weapons is now so wide it will never be close that’s obvious. But what I like to point out is the armed citizenry should at least have the firepower similar to the police and a common military ground pounder. I stopped an anti with this argument when he said I was arguing that citizens should be able to possess tanks, F-16s, grenades and rocket launchers, blah blah. I am not, but a semi-automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine was certainly a legitimate weapon for self-defense and in the hands of many responsible citizens is a powerful deterrent to a tyrannical government or police force. Usually when you point this out, the constitution is an out of date document written by old white men argument comes out, that’s when you got them. I then invite them to leave the country.

If you really dig in and look at how a lot of the wars have been fought over the last 200 years - you can easily rip apart the whole - "then civilians will want F-16's and cannons and nuclear weapons" argument.

Here's the truth- civilians that go up against government forces will often take massive casualties - but they usually WIN - in the end. The Afghans have been kicking ass on the British, then the Soviets and now us. They really don't have too many heavy weapons - other than mortars and the occasional rocket from what I understand.

If civilians wanted to kick the government's ass - all they really need is the same firepower as the average infantry unit - and enough anti-aircraft and anti-tank missiles to take out all of those resources - and then you're talking equal fight.

I just watched Charlie Wilson's war the other day - and it made the point well that once the Afghans got missiles to knock down the Soviet helicopters - the war almost instantly started going their way.

The Vietnamese didn't defeat us with heavy weaponry - they defeated us with superior tactics - light weapons (militia weapons) - and by being willing to keep taking losses over time - while we couldn't continue to sustain our losses.

The Yugoslavians tied down many German divisions during WW2 with guerilla attacks, sabotage, and random attacks.

Chris Dorner is once again giving us all a lesson on how impotent a large military/police force can be.

The reality is that a lot of the weaponry in the government's hands is only really good for causing massive destruction. Just causing massive destruction doesn't necessarily win you a war.

Had a friend say

" you only need 5 rounds" anything more is bullshit"

I told him to **** himself and still haven't really talked to him.

Tell him about this. Woman shoots scumbag 5 times. Woman and children escape. Scumbag gets up and drives away.

Georgia woman shoots intruder 5 times | Amarillo Globe-News

- - - Updated - - -

Had a friend say

" you only need 5 rounds" anything more is bullshit"

I told him to **** himself and still haven't really talked to him.

Tell him about this. Woman shoots scumbag 5 times. Woman and children escape. Scumbag gets up and drives away.

http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2013-01-09/georgia-woman-shoots-intruder-5-times

" Look - I have a walk in safe in my basement that is FULL of "assault weapons" - if you believe that any single one of them will shoot 1000 rounds a minute I will let you pick out one of your choice - I will take you and that firearm down to the range with 1000 rounds of ammunition - and if you can shoot 1000 rounds a minute thru it - and I WILL TIME YOU - then I will give you $1000 - if you can't do it - then you owe me $1000. If you don't take the bet - I'm going to accept that as your admission that you're full of shit"

love it

I didn't read the whole thread but your friends are right, the "people" do not stand a chance against the government however there would be major bloodshed in the event of war. Having so much bloodshed is the rub of the argument. The politics of mass people dieing on both sides from a new civil war would be much hated by the majority of Americans. Even the people who back government most of the time.

The reason why this would hit so close to home is because so many people would know people who knew people that were killed or mangled during the revolution.

So the argument that we could never stand a chance is true, but it would undoubtedly create a political atmosphere where government as we know it couldn't survive.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing....

Back
Top Bottom