H&K Legal, scratch that, MA Compliant... As Of......

Very different situation. Glock was told no by the previous (not martha) AG (reilly). H&K was never told no.

I don't see Glock and MA getting along again. I believe when asked for help identifying pre/post ban mags to build a court case the state of MA was kindly told to pound it by Glock. Can't blame them, sadly.

Per Four Season's email this morning:
"It's been 12 years and 6 months to the day since we have been able to sell a brand new H&K pistol in MA.
We received our first shipment this week. $769"

No, I don't work there! I do have my paycheck direct-deposited there, tho! [smile]

55_grain

Only the 9mm. The .40 and .357 came out after 1994.

Wrong. The USP .40 came out -FIRST-. I had a dozen preban .40 S+W USP mags before I sold it. The mags for full sized USPs are out there.

There is no .357 Sig full size USP, either.

You're probably thinking of the USP Compact series. Even then I think all of those were introduced post-94, but its possible they were introduced before that in Germany or something.... the compacts are likely close to the cutoff.

-Mike

Last edited:
quick question, do Pre ban HI CAP mags exist for the H&K USP?

Yes, but good luck finding or identifying them as preban. The only ones that definitely "are postban" are the ones with LE markings on them. Some of the ones I had, had date codes on them (eg, they would say "6/94" in small lettering on the mag) but others were just blank in the same spot.

When you can find them expect to pay from $35-$75 apiece depending on who is selling them.

-Mike

Wrong. The USP .40 came out -FIRST-. I had a dozen preban .40 S+W USP mags before I sold it. The mags for full sized USPs are out there.

Correct, the USP was built around the .40, and was later produced in 9mm and .45. My USP .40 has a '94 date code on it, and I've got pre-ban mags for it. It also just lost a whole lot of value from what I paid, but I am stoked to see new HKs selling in MA.

Yes, but good luck finding or identifying them as preban. The only ones that definitely "are postban" are the ones with LE markings on them. Some of the ones I had, had date codes on them (eg, they would say "6/94" in small lettering on the mag) but others were just blank in the same spot.

Not to hijack, but this sounds a bit like the challenge of identifying pre-ban gen3 Glock mags.

Argh. Stupid f*ing laws.

I suppose the question is will one be required to take their new HK to a competent gunsmith to get a decent trigger?

Mark L.

There are no local gunsmiths willing to work on them. -Maybe- Santurri does, I don't know. The MA USP is unlikely to be "worse" than the same gun sold elsewhere, their DA pull is bad enough as it is to pass the AG's BS. [laugh]

I know if you want "known good" trigger work you can send it out to Bruce Gray or Apex tactical.

You can clean it up in your basement easily enough anyways. All you need is a disassembly guide, A wolff 12 pound mainspring, and some polishing compounds and a dremel tool with buffer pads of varying sizes, and possibly other hand buffing tools. Most of it is all for the DA. All you do is get rid of the high spots/roughness where the hammer rides in the frame, as well as any rough spots on the hammer strut, etc. The mating surfaces should be smooth. Of course the secret is not to polish off too much material, and to stay away from the SA sear mating surfaces. (if you don't know what you are doing there, you will cause problems).

If you just want to do the mainspring, it is literally a 10 second upgrade, all you need is a punch or other tool small enough to get the pin out of the MSH (push up on it to unload it and the pin will slide right out. ) Very similar to what you would do for a Beretta spring, but it's actually a bit easier.

-Mike

I suppose the question is will one be required to take their new HK to a competent gunsmith to get a decent trigger?
No, and yes. Since it comes with a decocker and a manual safety, I expect that our HK USP will be little different than HKs sold in the other 49 states. Which means that the SA trigger will be, at best, OK and the DA trigger will be downright horrid.

Not to hijack, but this sounds a bit like the challenge of identifying pre-ban gen3 Glock mags.

It's worse than that because at least with Glock they've said they don't know, and have no way to know, which is good enough for me. With HK who knows. I would wager HK's US factory is just as secretive about it. Worse yet the factory has lied about other things. (For example, the US factory claims that there are no preban USP .45 12 round mags, which I discovered is actually a bunch of BS... or at least, the reality is that there are preban 12s in the US, that were sold with the guns and that RTG sales imported, with BATFE permission. )

-Mike

You can clean it up in your basement easily enough anyways. All you need is a disassembly guide, A wolff 12 pound mainspring, and some polishing compounds and a dremel tool with buffer pads of varying sizes, and possibly other hand buffing tools. Most of it is all for the DA. All you do is get rid of the high spots/roughness where the hammer rides in the frame, as well as any rough spots on the hammer strut, etc. The mating surfaces should be smooth. Of course the secret is not to polish off too much material, and to stay away from the SA sear mating surfaces. (if you don't know what you are doing there, you will cause problems).

If you just want to do the mainspring, it is literally a 10 second upgrade, all you need is a punch or other tool small enough to get the pin out of the MSH (push up on it to unload it and the pin will slide right out. ) Very similar to what you would do for a Beretta spring, but it's actually a bit easier.

-Mike

Speaking of which, I have an extra 12 pound spring from when I did mine, so if one of you guys jump on the USP bandwagon, it's all yours.

ALL I CAN SAY IS IT IS ABOUT TIME THAT HK IS MA LEGAL!!!

Bill Springfield specializes in HK trigger jobs smoothing out the pull and taking out a lot of the slop. just improving it overall. His prices are cheap and a friend of mine who has a usp 9mm compact sent it to him on a thursday and had it back in a week. Only cost $59 for the trigger job. his website is www.triggerwork.net

There are a bunch of pre ban hk usp mags for the FULLSIZE usp, but not for the compact. The fullsize and compact take different mags.

There are no local gunsmiths willing to work on them. -Maybe- Santurri does, I don't know. The MA USP is unlikely to be "worse" than the same gun sold elsewhere, their DA pull is bad enough as it is to pass the AG's BS. [laugh]

I know if you want "known good" trigger work you can send it out to Bruce Gray or Apex tactical.

-Mike

I'm wondering if they are that bad. DA/SA SIG triggers are the same as free state ones so I'd think HK would be similar, but I need to try one.

There are no local gunsmiths willing to work on them. -Maybe- Santurri does, I don't know.

Santurri installed a factory HK Match trigger in my USP a couple months back...not exactly a traditional trigger job so to speak but he knew how to take it apart and put it back together without issue. he tested it out with a few different wolf mainsprings I brought him and gave it back with the 10lb installed. I've fired around 750 rounds since then and haven't had a single issue. it has a much cleaner break now and the DA pull is a lot better; not perfect but functional which is more than I can say for the stock...and that's on a '96 model, who knows if they effed it up more to Massify them [sad2]

Santurri installed a factory HK Match trigger in my USP a couple months back...not exactly a traditional trigger job so to speak but he knew how to take it apart and put it back together without issue. he tested it out with a few different wolf mainsprings I brought him and gave it back with the 10lb installed. I've fired around 750 rounds since then and haven't had a single issue. it has a much cleaner break now and the DA pull is a lot better; not perfect but functional which is more than I can say for the stock...and that's on a '96 model, who knows if they effed it up more to Massify them [sad2]

So you were able to get away with the 10 pound?

IMO the 10 pound ended up being too light for my .40, at least for the sake of reliable ignition. Good defense ammo still lit off but a lot of commercial would not go off with the 10 pounder. Course I don't know if the hammer mass of the match hammer is different from the regular one, though, which might change things.

-Mike

So you were able to get away with the 10 pound?

IMO the 10 pound ended up being too light for my .40, at least for the sake of reliable ignition. Good defense ammo still lit off but a lot of commercial would not go off with the 10 pounder. Course I don't know if the hammer mass of the match hammer is different from the regular one, though, which might change things.

-Mike

The match kit did come with a new hammer so that might be the key because I haven't had any issues so far. I've been firing mostly my own loads using Federal primers but I've also gone through a few boxes of stuff like WW white box, PMC, and some personal defense ammo and all went off on the first try with good looking primer hits. Dave said he tested the springs with Blazer factory ammo because they are known for hard primers and he was comfortable I'd be ok with the 10lb.

Are the two P2000's on the list also available now? I've only seen the USP's in shops and am wondering if there is a reason only the USP's are popping up.

Are the two P2000's on the list also available now? I've only seen the USP's in shops and am wondering if there is a reason only the USP's are popping up.

I haven't seen them yet unfortunately. I asked Carl @ 4S via email and he said he was not expecting them in.

Back
Top Bottom