H.3866

Crossbows in hunting? This was from a few months ago

SECTION 1. Section 64 of chapter 131 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2016 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out, in lines 2 and 3, the words "or any crossbow, except as provided in section 69,".

SECTION 2. Said chapter 131 is hereby amended by striking out section 69, as appearing in the 2016 Official Edition, and inserting in place thereof the following section:-

Section 69. A person shall not carry or use a bow and arrow, or a crossbow or a bolt or arrow with a crossbow, while hunting unless said bow and arrow, or said crossbow and bolt or arrow, meet the requirements of the rules and regulations which shall be promulgated by the director. Such rules and regulations shall prescribe the general design, weight of pull, and type of bows and arrows, and type of crossbows, and bolts and arrows, and shall conform to standards generally accepted for hunting purposes. No person shall use a crossbow for hunting with any projectile, other than a bolt or arrow that meets the applicable requirements as established under this section.

I saw that, but I still don’t get it.

I don't know how much there is to get considering how vague and "to be defined later (maybe)" it is written.

"....meet the requirements of the rules and regulations which shall be promulgated by the director". Who is the director and where are these rules and regulations promulgated?

"Such rules and regulations shall prescribe the general design, weight or pull, and type of bows and arrows, and type of crossbows, and bolts and arrows, and shall confirm to the standards generally accepted of hunting purposes." What rules and regulations? What standards? Where does one find this information? Oh, maybe Bill S.488 "An Act Relative to the Use of Crossbows in Hunting"? Nope. it just regurgitates this same text.

"...other than a bolt or arrow that meets the applicable requirements as established under this section". Am I crazy or was nothing actually established other than some mysterious "director" will at some point promulgate some rules and regulations.

How is anyone expected to cast a vote on this garbage when nothing is clear and it is seemingly TBD at a later point?

It's to allow the use of a crossbow by any bow hunter, not just those with documented physical disabilities. Still can’t use a machine gun though.

Edit: The “requirements” are the same type of thing as for firearms (can you use rifle/pistol/shotgun, caliber, etc).

Takes a politician to write something this friggin dumb. I also had all the regulation that will come with it on size pull arrow type , no exploding arrows etc.

Just got this in a followup email

Please Support H.3866 Reasons to support H.3866 making crossbows legal for everyone in the outdoor heritage community:
• Crossbows are legal in 46 other States.
• Massachusetts currently allows crossbow use by disabled persons by permit.
• H.3866 allows professional managers at The Division of Fisheries and Wildlife to regulate crossbows as they currently do for all other archery equipment.
• Crossbow sales would increase Pitman Robertson funding for conservation of both game and non-game species.
• Crossbows are quick, quiet, and effective on all types of game.
• Crossbow hunting increases options for hunters and wildlife managers in areas where firearms are prohibited, and populations are high.
• There are no documented cases of non-hunters being injured by archery equipment in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Well that would be nice .
I really can't pull a compound bow correctly , but technically don't qualify for a disabled permit.
I would have 5 or 6 years ago, but fish and game sent out a nastygram to the doctors saying that if they felt the person didn't meet their standards for "Disabled" they would go after the doctor who wrote it.
Scared a lot of them off from writing the letter, including mine.
Most other states that allow it , if not for all around use, let anyone over 50 .

I guess if you get a note from a doctor that you can use a crossbow because of shoulder "disability", you can NEVER GO BACK to hunting with a regular bow again right now. This law is about legalizing crossbows for everyone and everyone who holds an archery license/tag.

Here is my note to members:

Let's Get H.3866 To The House Floor For A Vote!

State Representative Paul Schmid will be sending a joint letter to the House Committee on Ways and Means in support of H.3866. The letter will ask the Committee to move the bill to the House floor for a vote.

Take Action!

Please call your State Representative immediately and ask that they sign on to Representative Schmid’s letter to the Committee. Cosigners are requested to submit their names to Rep. Schmid’s office by Wednesday, November 20, 2019. To make things easier for your State Rep, we have included Rep Schmid's contact info below.

Office of Representative Paul A. Schmid III
State House, Room 466
Office: 617-722-2017

Click here to look up contact info for your MA State Representative.

Click here to view info sheet

Reasons to support H.3866 making crossbows legal for everyone in the outdoor heritage community:
• Crossbows are legal in 46 other States.
• Massachusetts currently allows crossbow use by disabled persons by permit.
• H.3866 allows professional managers at The Division of Fisheries and Wildlife to regulate crossbows as they currently do for all other archery equipment.
• Crossbow sales would increase Pitman Robertson funding for conservation of both game and non-game species.
• Crossbows are quick, quiet, and effective on all types of game.
• Crossbow hunting increases options for hunters and wildlife managers in areas where firearms are prohibited, and populations are high.
• There are no documented cases of non-hunters being injured by archery equipment in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Last edited:
I think it is more of a fish & game law. I believe the minimum peak draw weight for a bow used on turkey and deer in MA is 40 lbs. There is a minimum blade size for the broadhead arrows used for these two species as well.
My point was that I didn’t understand the point of the proposed legislation. Now that it has been explained — that it would enable bow hunters to use crossbows without special permission — I understand and support it.

I bow hunted about 20 years ago. Now that I’m nearing 60, there is no way I could hunt with a bow, but I don’t meet the definition of disabled in order to qualify for hunting with a crossbow.

Well that would be nice .
I really can't pull a compound bow correctly , but technically don't qualify for a disabled permit.
I would have 5 or 6 years ago, but fish and game sent out a nastygram to the doctors saying that if they felt the person didn't meet their standards for "Disabled" they would go after the doctor who wrote it.
Scared a lot of them off from writing the letter, including mine.
Most other states that allow it , if not for all around use, let anyone over 50 .

You are exactly the reason for passing this legislation. In order to get the permit you need to be permanently disabled.

Many hunters don’t meet that threshold.
Many hunters lose a season or two to temporary injuries and other issues that prevent them from using a bow like rotator cuff surgery.

Bob

If I recall correctly , it's been tanked in part by some archery hunters .
Bow fudds basically,
Crossbows not real archery derp

Is this true? Where does it say that?

On the application.

Apply for a crossbow permit
If you have a permanent disability and want to hunt with a crossbow, you can apply for a permit. This is a permanent permit – you will never be able to switch back to conventional archery equipment.

Apply for a crossbow permit

Back
Top Bottom