• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

4-H shooting sports

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
Any other dads out there with kids in a 4-H shooting clubs? My daughter had her first meeting this weekend with the Strafford County 4-H and I was very impressed with the whole program to the point that I volunteered to get involved. Apparently there is real college money there for these kids to attend UNH for every year of participation.

She was the youngest shooter on the line by a long shot, but she held her own for her first time with an open sight rifle (cricket). I'm an A-hole and started her off with red dots, scopes, and suppressors real young, so she is a little spoiled.

20230916_105553.jpg

That’s great, I didn’t know they had shooting sports. My wife and I were just talking to our oldest son to see if he wanted to do Boy Scouts or 4H. This might tip the scales to 4H. I assume you would recommend them overall? I’m in Hillsboro county but I assume it’s very similar.

I can always take the boys hiking and camping myself so I don’t think they’ll miss too much in scouts.

IMG_2514.jpeg

That’s great, I didn’t know they had shooting sports. My wife and I were just talking to our oldest son to see if he wanted to do Boy Scouts or 4H. This might tip the scales to 4H. I assume you would recommend them overall? I’m in Hillsboro county but I assume it’s very similar.

I can always take the boys hiking and camping myself so I don’t think they’ll miss too much in scouts.

View attachment 797160
That is a great picture!

Great start, good to hear your news. The 2 dedicated Jr programs that I know of are Hudson F And G juniors, and Ferrybrook F and G Keene.
Correct on scholarship programs, there are many. College/universities, Naval academy, ect, give complete full ride tuition for shooters.
In this day of age, that is approx $300k

Also check out Pioneer, not sure but very possible JR program there too.

Last edited:
Massachusetts is the only state without a 4h marksmanship program,
my in-laws are heavily involved in pioneer valley 4H. I was trying to work with them to get one going, but PV4H is run through UMASS, and I was completely shot down on the idea.
My daughter has been completing in the Scholastic action shooting program through Holyoke revolver club for the past five years, she has been high lady for Massachusetts for two years straight.

Back
Top Bottom