Guns That Seemed Cool in Movies... Disappointed IRL.

I don't have a Mk 1/2/3 but a competitive shooter once gave me some advice on putting it back together. Just point it at the ceiling. I haven't had any chance to test this advice so YMMV.

Well, I bought a gun that I thought was cool in video games. Some assembly is going to be required.

Unobtanium. So legendary that even if they utterly sucked, they'd look amazing on a wall.

The .44 AutoMag was also Mack Bolan's second chosen weapon, 'Big Thunder' on his hip with 'Belle', his Beretta Brigadier, in a shoulder rig.

He traded out Belle for Whisper, his 93-R with fold down fore grip. I had an airsoft version of that, and it was cool for a toy.
IIRC he got the 93 when he went to Stony Man Farm and took on the KGB instead if he Mafia.

He traded out Belle for Whisper, his 93-R with fold down fore grip. I had an airsoft version of that, and it was cool for a toy.
IIRC he got the 93 when he went to Stony Man Farm and took on the KGB instead if he Mafia.

A fellow reader!

Yeah, after he faked his death in the War Wagon at the end of the Mafia wars. Suddenly he's in a Lear jet... Col. John Macklin Phoenix was born. But he was originally anti-terror. The hard-on for the KGB came later, when April Rose was murdered (Day of Mourning) by the mole at Stony Man and Bolan walked away and once again became a loner.

I loved the debates over .45 v 9mm Able Team had. Those books actually are most directly responsible for getting me into firearms. And I still own all of them. :)

I had most of them until the late 80s/ early 90s. Able Team and Phoenix Force, too.
I got rid of them years ago when I realized my library was closer to a hoard.
Loved reading them. Still do once in a while when I’m in the mood for escape fiction and find myself in a used book store.

I had most of them until the late 80s/ early 90s. Able Team and Phoenix Force, too.
I got rid of them years ago when I realized my library was closer to a hoard.
Loved reading them. Still do once in a while when I’m in the mood for escape fiction and find myself in a used book store.

Then you know these volumes... :)

s-l400.jpg
81j9OneybVL.jpg

KSG hands down.. so many accessories and upgrades to give the Hollywood look but a real POS in function. It was the one gun I had everyone went crazy for but sucked as a shooter.

For me the Thompson looks so cool in movies but in reality it is one horribly uncomfortable gun to shoulder and shoot!
I always Hip shot and walked in on the Target, (A 55 oil Drum) towed behind a DE in the Navy when we shot up old ammo instead of deep sixing it. Loved the Tripod mounted belt fed 30.06 Machine gun! Only rule was You had to load the Magazines, emblocs from Ammo cans, we could Not fire off the old 5" shells, those went over the side, it paid to be part of Weapons Division on a Destroyer.

But my range generally frowns down on my attempts at learning how to shoot upside down, mid flip, using only one hand for a desert eagle, so I don't think I'm making that shot anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm sure I'd have a smile on my face shooting a desert eagle (assuming I don't slap my forehead with the muzzle flip). Just that outside of range fun/bragging, I don't really see its usefulness over a compact 15rd 9mm or a 13 rd .40/.45. Does anyone actually carry one as EDC? I'll take it all back if someone can make a compelling EDC argument for it outside of STOPPIN PAWAR!
I bought one of the first .50 AE Desert Eagles... I have a holster for it... but in the 20+ years I have had it I have never carried it... basically it’s a range toy...

KSG hands down.. so many accessories and upgrades to give the Hollywood look but a real POS in function. It was the one gun I had everyone went crazy for but sucked as a shooter.

The KSG is awesome. Right up until the point you have to reload it. Then you just want to throw it right into the trash.

It's a typical KelTec design. Brilliant idea. Almost revolutionary. And falls short in usually ONE key area. etc. Like they come up with a great idea. And execute 90% of it decent. And then fall flat on their face on the last 10% of it.

What kind of holster?
The craziest gun I ever carried was my S&W 629 “Backpacker”... I guess I was worried about possible Grizzly attacks... I have holsters for my S&W 629 “Light Hunter” and Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull but never used them.

Attachments

• 1604099039351.jpeg
    1604099039351.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I want a mkII bull barrel with a red dot one day. Learned to shoot on a MKII standard. Did rather well competing with it against people with optics for a while.

I remember the first time my dad and I took the MKIi down. It. Didn't go well. 4 hours later and lots of manual scanning and attempts later, I managed to get the blocking pin to fall just right in the pocket and snapped it together.

I know he never took it down again.

I've done the mk3/ 22/45 I have a few times. Not that hard. The Mk3 fluted 6" I had for a while and sold here for rent money was harder.

The trick is watching the YouTube videos a few times to remember how to hold the gun to make the pin set in the pocket. Upside down helps. No hammers ever needed.
I have a MKI and MKII Bull bbl. the MKII is a f***ing tack-driver. There really isn't a reason to completely disassemble it, IMHO.

One gun that I wouldn't let me down if I found one.

Hanna's FNC-80

2033Heat.jpg

Retro? Hadley's Hope
Customized
DSC03654a.jpg DSC03656a1.jpg DSC03657a.jpg

Last edited:
The craziest gun I ever carried was my S&W 629 “Backpacker”... I guess I was worried about possible Grizzly attacks... I have holsters for my S&W 629 “Light Hunter” and Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull but never used them.
Awesome holster! I like that it has a mag pouch too. I usually carry with a shoulder holster it has a belt loop on the off-hand side that really makes a difference in distributing the weight. Even in my older shrunken leather jacket I don’t print, the only downside is the mags do not fit in the pouches if they’re loaded.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Every 1911 I've owned, or still own. Mediocre at best. Just doesn't do it for me. Neither has the Plastic Fantastic. So many better options out there for .45.
I believe its one of those "mandatory" firearms you have to own at least one of.

I.M.I. D.E in .44 mag.
Looked cool on a wall. Picked it up and it weighed as much as two stainless N frame revolvers. Unwieldy is a more accurate description for it.

Colt Snake guns. Honestly its just another .38/.357/.44.

For me it was the Mosin Nagant. Bought it on a Saturday, shot it on Sunday, sold it on Monday.
One magazine and I thought " Why do people love this piece of shit?" " No wonder it was only $180 bucks"

I zeroed mine, then put it away for when I have to kill an elephant sized alien.

For me it was the Mosin Nagant. Bought it on a Saturday, shot it on Sunday, sold it on Monday.
One magazine and I thought " Why do people love this piece of shit?" " No wonder it was only $180 bucks"
You don't like a rifle that feels like it was made from discarded furniture and plumbing scrap parts? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom