Guns That Seemed Cool in Movies... Disappointed IRL.

Walther P99, as good to use as looks cool in hands of Kate Beckinsale and James Bond:

underworld-evolution-56e1f2e19cfcc.jpg

ga005-walther-p99-pierce-brosnan-collage.jpg

Cool but horrible trigger.

I had both below and still have the silver slide one. Got both from an importer in Tewksbury (not mentioning names).

The black one was in .40. Only 10 or 100 in the country “MI6” edition with a 007 serial number prefix. Guess they got sued. There were 1000 9mm imported. Wish I still had it.

Also had a west German PPK.

315FEE45-1684-4BFD-AECA-249AA07514F5.pngB12D448D-A3AC-400B-8FBD-83478AD48B25.png

It's not so much that the Beretta 92fs is a disappointment. It's that I can't make it work like Bruce Willis that is disappointing.

Deadpool and the IWI Desert Eagle. Makes them look cool as hell in the movie, but I'd probably want something more practical if I were getting into firefights with gangsters. Probably something with more than 7+1, as I'm not hitting instant bullseyes mid superhero flip.
You can easily make it with 8 rounds. Just rewatch the movie: "so, guys, I have only eight boolitz left, so some of you will have to share".

What is an "inspired" grip? The double-stack Glock grip is bulky and not comfortable for those with medium or smaller hands. The slide is a squared-off block of steel. It is designed to be as concealable as possible with nothing to snag or stick out. A good contrast is the SIG P320, which looks like a fat pig with too much makeup. The SIG also has a fat grip, but is rounded at the corners. The SIG X-grip is much closer to "inspired" for me. The Beretta grip has an excellent shape which is also too large for my hands. But CZs are also "inspired" to my hands.

The slide lock lever is not meant to be a slide release. Glock's own literature refers to it as a "slide lock". But if you had bought the 34, you'd have seen that model has an extended top edge that functions very well as a slide release.

I've never fired a Glock while it was taken apart, so I didn't care about the plastic flexing.

The minimalist, sleek, purposeful look of the Glock fits my view of function driving form in a near-perfect way. From an engineering point of view, I like it more than most others.

An aside: I am much amused by customers who attempt to drop the slide using the slide lock/release lever while an empty mag is in the pistol, struggle with the effort, and then criticize the pistol. The combination of pressure from the slide spring and from the mag spring makes this quite stiff. But one would never do that in real life. You would "slingshot" a pistol (if you do) after reloading, at which point the mag follower is not pushing against the lever.

I prefer to slingshot on my smaller pistols, but the 92 loves a nice slide drop. Sorry, *I* love the way it feels.

Anyway, to your main point... what is inspired? The VP9 strikes me as at least using polymer to its fullest potential by making the grip insanely comfortable.

And the Glock... *sleek* is not how I would describe it. :) I have a Beretta 70S, that's sleek. But I guess old pistols kind of live in their own world.

Cool but horrible trigger.

I wouldn't call a P99 trigger horrible, just it needed a shitload of dry firing in DA to get some of the grit out it has at the beginning. It also has a stupidly short
reset. I've noticed the SW99s were far worse than their walther counterparts.

Ironically the best P99 ish gun is now made the Turks, a Canik TP9SF is pretty killer, for what it is...

-Mike

I wouldn't call a P99 trigger horrible, just it needed a shitload of dry firing in DA to get some of the grit out it has at the beginning. It also has a stupidly short
reset. I've noticed the SW99s were far worse than their walther counterparts.

Ironically the best P99 ish gun is now made the Turks, a Canik TP9SF is pretty killer, for what it is...

-Mike

Way too long of a pull in my opinion. Both in DA and SA mode. Too much slack even with the trigger in rear SA mode

Not a fast shooting system. Grit wise I did not notice.

And the Glock... *sleek* is not how I would describe it. :) I have a Beretta 70S, that's sleek. But I guess old pistols kind of live in their own world.

The Glock 19 up until very recently was pretty much king for size/weight/bore axis vs capacity, it was very "sleek" for its class. There are literally still only about 2 or 3 pistols
that even come close. The best attempt I'd ever seen is probably the Caracal C, but it hasn't been reintroduced yet.
Way too long of a pull in my opinion. Both in DA and SA mode.

Not a fast shooting system. Grit wise I did not notice.

Lmao, the SA reset on a P99 is so short, that some people can bump fire the thing, not sure what you're talking about. Sure there's some initial take up, but nothing
severe.

If anything kills the speed it's the high bore axis.

The Glock 19 up until very recently was pretty much king for size/weight/bore axis vs capacity, it was very "sleek" for its class. There are literally still only about 2 or 3 pistols
that even come close. The best attempt I'd ever seen is probably the Caracal C, but it hasn't been reintroduced yet.

Lmao, the SA reset on a P99 is so short, that some people can bump fire the thing, not sure what you're talking about. Sure there's some initial take up, but nothing
severe.

If anything kills the speed it's the high bore axis.

Reset is fine just too much slop on the take up (as you said) So that is my only issue with it.

I shoot idpa/uspsa and am a 1911 (trigger) snob. So for me it’s not good.

That said, it has a lot of cool features for the time.

Another vote for the Beretta 92. Biggest letdown for me.

Might as well take out one of my fat patio bricks, glue a trigger on one end, and spend the whole afternoon trying to reach it with my finger. When I do manager to pull it, I can get a solid 90 minute workout in before it resets.

Looks cool though....

Mosin. Bought two of them years ago and hated them.

Also was underwhelmed with the Colt Python. It’s a cool looking gun, but the newer .357 wheel guns are better quality.

Concur. Greatly unimpressed by the Python. Cool looks. Terrible execution. Too complicated.

I mean, the first rule of any handgun course (after safety rules) is DON'T STACK YOUR TRIGGER! Smooth followthrough. Nope. They made a trigger that SPECIFICALLY STACKS! LOL

No one's mentioned the 475 Wildey of Death Wish 3 or Dirty Harry's 44 Automag.

Because they were either too rare or no one wanted one. LOL

Mac 11 not as cool as I thought. Cant get use to the trigger slap and the sights suck

There was another on the XC last week. I was sorely tempted but that trigger slap stopped me again.

You can easily make it with 8 rounds. Just rewatch the movie: "so, guys, I have only eight boolitz left, so some of you will have to share".

But my range generally frowns down on my attempts at learning how to shoot upside down, mid flip, using only one hand for a desert eagle, so I don't think I'm making that shot anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm sure I'd have a smile on my face shooting a desert eagle (assuming I don't slap my forehead with the muzzle flip). Just that outside of range fun/bragging, I don't really see its usefulness over a compact 15rd 9mm or a 13 rd .40/.45. Does anyone actually carry one as EDC? I'll take it all back if someone can make a compelling EDC argument for it outside of STOPPIN PAWAR!

But my range generally frowns down on my attempts at learning how to shoot upside down, mid flip, using only one hand for a desert eagle, so I don't think I'm making that shot anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm sure I'd have a smile on my face shooting a desert eagle (assuming I don't slap my forehead with the muzzle flip). Just that outside of range fun/bragging, I don't really see its usefulness over a compact 15rd 9mm or a 13 rd .40/.45. Does anyone actually carry one as EDC? I'll take it all back if someone can make a compelling EDC argument for it outside of STOPPIN PAWAR!

Bullet-Tooth Tony. He's got a compelling EDC argument.

No one's mentioned the 475 Wildey of Death Wish 3 or Dirty Harry's 44 Automag.

Unobtanium. So legendary that even if they utterly sucked, they'd look amazing on a wall.

The .44 AutoMag was also Mack Bolan's second chosen weapon, 'Big Thunder' on his hip with 'Belle', his Beretta Brigadier, in a shoulder rig.

Fleming wasn't a gun guy and thus didn't know the ins and outs of firearms useage, development, and history. Add on top of that the movie industry's anti-gun, or at least gun-ignorant, bias, and there's a recipe for bullshit in the Bond movies.

In the 1980s, Ballantine printed a series of 'updated Bond' novels that had movie-style gadgetry but were otherwise closer to Fleming's original concept than the movie Bond was. The first few were written by somebody named John Gardner, who seemed to do the gun (and other gadgetry) stuff better. His version of Bond carried various 9mm pistols - first a Browning Hi-Power with plain 9mm ammo, and later an ASP.

I have no examples of what the OP asked about to offer because I haven't fired that many different guns, but reading through this thread, I suddenly thought of the pistols carried by Lara Croft in the first two Tomb Raider films: H&K USP Match models. Very cool-looking, but how practical would they be?

Uzi, Tommy Gun, M1A, AKs, 1911s, anything in .40 or .45, anything that's not a Glock or an AR-15...

Okay that last part isn't 100% true, but I stand by the guns and .40 and .45 can go the way of the dodo.

Hahaha. Read this thread before lunch. Came home. Son is playing CoD. "Dad. I got that vector thing." "Uhhh, OK." "No. The vector???" "Show me. . . . Oh a KRISS Vector. Yeah. If you don't say Kriss, no one knows what you are talking about." (Of course about 80% of the guns on his games are mis-named and such so I never know if he's got a real Vector or just the name of yet another AR variant.)

So I could totally see how CoD would make you want a Vector. I'd prefer one of those HK .45 carbines - USP??? from the 90's.
UMP. I shot one years ago and loved it.
USP is a pistol. I've got one in .45 and love it.

Unobtanium. So legendary that even if they utterly sucked, they'd look amazing on a wall.

The .44 AutoMag was also Mack Bolan's second chosen weapon, 'Big Thunder' on his hip with 'Belle', his Beretta Brigadier, in a shoulder rig.
Forgotten weapons had a video with the host firing a Wildey couldn't go more than a few rounds without jamming or mis fire can't remember which.

Reset is fine just too much slop on the take up (as you said) So that is my only issue with it.

I shoot idpa/uspsa and am a 1911 (trigger) snob. So for me it’s not good.

That said, it has a lot of cool features for the time.

Well, objectively trigger wise pretty much everything else is shit (with a few narrow exceptions) compared to a well tuned 1911/2011 trigger, so that's almost not even
fair. The tradeoff with something like a Glock, P99, or whatever, is you're not dealing with "typical 1911 bullshit" on the other side of the
fence. And I like 1911s, but I'm a realist about the other side of the coin.

So much saxamaphone. Also, Riggs has exactly three facial expressions.

I shall leave this here.

View: https://youtu.be/BM8w35Sli3w

I was just thinking to myself "wonder whether Demolition Ranch tested that one out yet?". His HiPoint review of barrel obstructions is one of my favorites. The Test Cannon maneuver caught me by surprise.

I'm going to second the PPK. I've gotten a lot of trigger time behind a .380 flavor of one, just as interarms was sending them to SW for service at the transition time.

It stove piped instantly if limp wristing. Had some fail to feed issues with HPs, and generally cut the snot out of you through gloves due to the insane polished knife edges on the beaver tail.

But when it did fire, all win. It was the first gun I painted a smiley face with at 25 yards.

After three trips to S&W, and 500+ rounds of break-in plus some different springs, it's been fine since on feeding and cycling.

Except I'd you limpwrist. I can demo it stove piping on command. Run it right and it's fine.

And bring Band-Aids. At least two required.

*FK BRNO, definitely

FK Brno 7.5 Field Pistol lands in U.S. market

*Tuned up Korth
*MR-73 .357/.38/9x19/.22 kit:

MANURHIN MR73 CONVERTIBLE 357 MAG 38 9mm 22 LR VERY RARE KIT w/ CASE - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 867577234

*Ed Brown 1911s
*Tuned B&T
*FB Radom Wz. 35 Vis

» Wz.35 VIS Pistol

If we're going tricked-out terrorist gun, my bet's on the FK, the Korth, the MR-73, or the B&T.

Yeah, probably.

That FK 7.5 needs some screen or book time. Just did a dive into that cartridge. Wowza. Rifle worthy ballistics. That thing, suppressed, would make one hell of a hard to detect short to mid range sniping tool.

The MKIV comes apart so easy. There's no f***ing way I would ever own an MKII/III after touching a 4. I had an MKII and I never took mine apart. Ruger cleaned it once when it was f***ed up, after that I used to just take the grips off and douche the whole thing with gun scrubber, let it dry, relube it, wipe down, put grips back on.... there was
no way I was using a hammer and shit to take that apart... eff that noise. One guy I know who is a gunsmith, there are people who literally come in and pay him $20 to clean their MKI/II/III... [laugh]

I want a mkII bull barrel with a red dot one day. Learned to shoot on a MKII standard. Did rather well competing with it against people with optics for a while.

I remember the first time my dad and I took the MKIi down. It. Didn't go well. 4 hours later and lots of manual scanning and attempts later, I managed to get the blocking pin to fall just right in the pocket and snapped it together.

I know he never took it down again.

I've done the mk3/ 22/45 I have a few times. Not that hard. The Mk3 fluted 6" I had for a while and sold here for rent money was harder.

The trick is watching the YouTube videos a few times to remember how to hold the gun to make the pin set in the pocket. Upside down helps. No hammers ever needed.

Back
Top Bottom