• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns That Seemed Cool in Movies... Disappointed IRL.

First thread of my own. Neat.

Been thinking about guns in movies. Not the inaccuracies- which often abound- but the firearms themselves and the context we see them in. The context creates a response just as any other image (cigarettes in old movies look 'cool', etc), and people form a fantasy built on the context, more than the item itself.

As an example, when the second John Wick film came out, I decided I *had* to own a Glock. Preferably a 34. Keanu made that gun sing during training, and it looked amazing on film. Sure, Glocks are great guns, but there are a lot of great guns.

When I finally purchased a Glock (wasn't a 34, but it wouldn't have mattered), I was underwhelmed. The grip is uninspired and bulky. The slide looks like a squared off block of steel. The stock controls (slide release especially) aren't really great looking or user-friendly. The frame is plastic. It flexes easily when you take it apart. It shot accurately, never jammed. It was just... fine.

And so, I sold it. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, and have kind of sworn off Glocks as a result. Not because of any technical fault, but simply because once taken out of the specific context that made me like it, I found there wasn't much left to hold me.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Deadpool and the IWI Desert Eagle. Makes them look cool as hell in the movie, but I'd probably want something more practical if I were getting into firefights with gangsters. Probably something with more than 7+1, as I'm not hitting instant bullseyes mid superhero flip.

Ha, yes! Agent Smith in the Matrix with his Desert Eagle too. I don't even understand how they could *pretend* those things hid well under jackets.

Hans Gruber's H&K P7 from Die Hard. It is neither compact, nor fits any particular niche or need.

Not sure if serious.

Probably one of my biggest regret sales, ever. (P7M8) It's about as close as anyone will ever get to a rolex in a concealable
handgun. It was also my first pistol.

The only real criticism of the gun that I ever had was it overheats easily. You can't run the gun hard for very long. After about 40 rounds you are done for at least 15 minutes.

I'd buy your argument if you said "Magazines too f***ing expensive. Overheats easily. "

First thread of my own. Neat.

Been thinking about guns in movies. Not the inaccuracies- which often abound- but the firearms themselves and the context we see them in. The context creates a response just as any other image (cigarettes in old movies look 'cool', etc), and people form a fantasy built on the context, more than the item itself.

As an example, when the second John Wick film came out, I decided I *had* to own a Glock. Preferably a 34. Keanu made that gun sing during training, and it looked amazing on film. Sure, Glocks are great guns, but there are a lot of great guns.

When I finally purchased a Glock (wasn't a 34, but it wouldn't have mattered), I was underwhelmed. The grip is uninspired and bulky. The slide looks like a squared off block of steel. The stock controls (slide release especially) aren't really great looking or user-friendly. The frame is plastic. It flexes easily when you take it apart. It shot accurately, never jammed. It was just... fine.

And so, I sold it. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, and have kind of sworn off Glocks as a result. Not because of any technical fault, but simply because once taken out of the specific context that made me like it, I found there wasn't much left to hold me.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
I think if you would have been able to shoot the tricked out Taran Tactical version in the movie, you might have been more impressed.

My vote is for the Desert Eagle (from many movies).

Beretta 92 a la Die Hard. Cool factor/looks are there, but in basically every other way (weight, size, capacity, usability) there are so many other better pistols. It was my first pistol when I first got my LTC, and wound up selling it and haven't regretted it since.

Not sure if serious.

Probably one of my biggest regret sales, ever. (P7M8) It's about as close as anyone will ever get to a rolex in a concealable
handgun.
It was also my first pistol.

That's a great way to put it. I'd love to own one of those, but don't have P7 money (modern prices) to spend on one. MAC loves his.

Beretta 92 a la Die Hard. Cool factor/looks are there, but in basically every other way (weight, size, capacity, usability) there are so many other better pistols. It was my first pistol when I first got my LTC, and wound up selling it and haven't regretted it since.

See, the 92FS was my first purchase as well, and I agonized with it because the grip was just... awful. But it oozes Hollywood cool.

I use Wilson grips and I love it now. I get what you're saying in terms of what's out there, but it's a sweet shooter nonetheless.

Not sure if serious.

handgun. It was also my first pistol.

The only real criticism of the gun that I ever had was it overheats easily. You can't run the gun hard for very long. After about 40 rounds you are done for at least 15 minutes.

I'd buy your argument if you said "Magazines too f***ing expensive. Overheats easily. "

I love HK and I love this gun. They should at least supplied a HK oven mitt in every box. After the second mag you could throw that in a easy bake oven to make cookies after.

I love the Beretta 92. I've shot the ever living crap out of various M9s and I owned a 92FS. I regret selling the 92FS. Although I prefer the bar/dot sights of the M9 the 92 platform was one of the best shooting pistols I ever used.

I think if you would have been able to shoot the tricked out Taran Tactical version in the movie, you might have been more impressed.

Nope, he would have hated that too. The anti-glock/polymer whining club will never get it, on the whole. Once in awhile the lights go on upstairs but it's usually rare.

I know this, because I was one of those people. It took me like 4, 5 years before the light went on. I went to "recovery" and finally bought a Glock 19. It took a few
months after, but then the light went on. Then I felt like a moron once it did.

The new 92X is far better than the original, in both ergonomics (uses vertec style grip with option to switch, aggressive texture, extended mag release.... ) better trigger, sights.... nearly everything.... you can buy a G version that's decock only. I believe the std is convertible, too. Still runs on 92 mags, too. I ended up with the Centurion.

The original 92FS, F.... most of them... the SA trigger has this horrible creep in it... and it seeps into my brain, and I can detect it, and it messes with me. And I would have to relearn shooting the thing every time I picked it up. With the 92X it's no different from running a -decent- sig or CZ, etc.

I've never fired an Uzi, was it disappointing?

I have tried a .45 with 6" slide. It was fun! But a bit front-heavy for me.

It's fairly disappointing. For such a heavy gun and such a light round, you'd think the recoil would be minimal. It's the way the stock is designed. It just slams into your cheekbone. You're better off with a KT 9mm carbine.

Hans Gruber's H&K P7 from Die Hard. It is neither compact, nor fits any particular niche or need.

I've got one of those, too. VERY accurate gun. VERY. But heavy for its size.

Back
Top Bottom