Guns That Seemed Cool in Movies... Disappointed IRL.

For me the Thompson looks so cool in movies but in reality it is one horribly uncomfortable gun to shoulder and shoot!

Oh god yes. The ergonomics of the Thompson are the absolute worst, and it weighs a metric ton. If we're talking actual practical usability, give me a grease gun over a Thompson any day.

First thread of my own. Neat.

Been thinking about guns in movies. Not the inaccuracies- which often abound- but the firearms themselves and the context we see them in. The context creates a response just as any other image (cigarettes in old movies look 'cool', etc), and people form a fantasy built on the context, more than the item itself.

As an example, when the second John Wick film came out, I decided I *had* to own a Glock. Preferably a 34. Keanu made that gun sing during training, and it looked amazing on film. Sure, Glocks are great guns, but there are a lot of great guns.

When I finally purchased a Glock (wasn't a 34, but it wouldn't have mattered), I was underwhelmed. The grip is uninspired and bulky. The slide looks like a squared off block of steel. The stock controls (slide release especially) aren't really great looking or user-friendly. The frame is plastic. It flexes easily when you take it apart. It shot accurately, never jammed. It was just... fine.

And so, I sold it. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, and have kind of sworn off Glocks as a result. Not because of any technical fault, but simply because once taken out of the specific context that made me like it, I found there wasn't much left to hold me.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Kinda odd to compare a stock Glock to a TTI race gun. That's like not liking 1911s because you bought a Llama. For me, it's probably the MP5 full auto. It was a bit underwhelming and uncomfortable compared to my sky high expectations. I would still buy one if it was cheap enough.

I used to carry a pencil because of the movie John Wick 2 but I upgraded to a metal pen.

But seriously, I'd only get a gun because of films if it's iconic and feels good to me. Even John Wick wouldn't be able to sell me on a hi-point.

I'll probably get hate for this, and I actually do still want one, but Bond/PPK.

.32 ACP mouse cartridge in an uncomfortable, snappy little gun.

IMHO the PPK is the penultimate "looks good, but actually it sucks" gun ever made. You want it to be great, but it can't be. [laugh] I still want a black PPK in .380, one of the
newer Walther ones. Even though inherently I know it hurts to shoot. It just looks good. [rofl]

Oh god yes. The ergonomics of the Thompson are the absolute worst, and it weighs a metric ton. If we're talking actual practical usability, give me a grease gun over a Thompson any day.

The first time I picked up a Thompson I said "Weighs more than a Garand, or at least it feels like it does. HOW ABOUT NO. "

I also want a Bond PPK just because they look cool and I'm a huge fan of the series. I've shot several PPKs and they are snappy, chew up your hand unless you hold it awkwardly, and aren't the greatest when it comes to accuracy. But James Bond...

You know every guy on this forum would probably pose in the mirror, eyebrow raised, PPK in hand saying: "Bond, James Bond". You're just lying to yourself if you disagree. lol.

You know every guy on this forum would probably pose in the mirror, eyebrow raised, PPK in hand saying: "Bond, James Bond". You're just lying to yourself if you disagree. lol.

Lol! I'll have to ask my wife to make me a martini, shaken, not stirred. Then I'll have to make it myself after she laughs at me and walks off!

IMHO the PPK is the penultimate "looks good, but actually it sucks" gun ever made. You want it to be great, but it can't be. [laugh] I still want a black PPK in .380, one of the
newer Walther ones. Even though inherently I know it hurts to shoot. It just looks good. [rofl]

Yup. One of my first guns was a PPK/S by Interarms, in .380.
And one of the reasons I bought it was because of the Bond movies.

It misfired, (failed to ignite), way too often to be seriously considered as a carry gun.
I replaced it with a Colt Mustang, (think of a 1911 thrown into the dryer so that it shrinks down to a .380 - or a Sig P238).

Another vote for PPK here. 2nd biggest disappointment of my adult life. It was accurate, but way too snappy for a .380, only fed ball ammo and it cut my hand up every time I shot it. DA trigger was garbage too.

Misinformed looked cool in “Enemy at the Gates” but just felt retarded. Not even cheap ammo can save some designs. Doesn’t help that I dislike bolt guns to begin with.

Garand. Just not for me.

I haven't bought a gun based on what I saw in movies or video games but I might soon. I'll get back to this thread.

Desert Eagle. And Garand. And Luger. Probably others.

I'd count the M16 as well, though that's also just me being a curmudgeon.

Word. I bought myself one in .32 for my birthday (because, like a certain motorcycle, who the h*ll else was gonna buy it for me?!).

I spent several days walking around muttering “No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE” and then took it to the range a few times and put it in the safe.

*sigh*

R

We have both the Thompson and Grease Gun in the family. Takes a while to get the hang of the Tommy before you can actually hit anything with it. The Grease Gun is the favorite. Problem these days is that you have to win the lottery to buy one of each to compare them. Jack.

Another vote for PPK here. 2nd biggest disappointment of my adult life. It was accurate, but way too snappy for a .380, only fed ball ammo and it cut my hand up every time I shot it. DA trigger was garbage too.

My Sig P232 chewed up my hand something awful. Even my Kel-Tec P40 wasn't that painful.

The full size Uzi is an uninspiring gun to shoot. Weighs like 9 pounds and shoots 9mm at a cyclic rate of maybe 700 rpm. A 6 year old could shoot it is reliable and easy but not movie-worthy exciting. Now the Uzi mini there is a fun piece!

And the Deagle that is fun. Not a concealed carry gun, not for capacity, but something about a semi-auto pistol in 44mag or even 50AE caliber is exciting. BLAM BLAM BLAM!

Glocks are the Toyota of handguns. Even when you trick out a Camry, it is still a Toyota.

Lever action shotgun in the movie Terminator.What a pain in the ass to load.

Back
Top Bottom