• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns That Seemed Cool in Movies... Disappointed IRL.

Another vote for PPK here. 2nd biggest disappointment of my adult life. It was accurate, but way too snappy for a .380, only fed ball ammo and it cut my hand up every time I shot it. DA trigger was garbage too.
I have a "Made in Germany" Walther PP in .380. Still runs like a clock after 35 years. Fun to shoot. Maybe that little gain in length and weight over the PPK makes a difference. Jack.

Kinda odd to compare a stock Glock to a TTI race gun. That's like not liking 1911s because you bought a Llama. For me, it's probably the MP5 full auto. It was a bit underwhelming and uncomfortable compared to my sky high expectations. I would still buy one if it was cheap enough.

It's the platform. From 10,000 feet, the Llama and the 1911 are close enough to make a call on common elements: frame, grip angle, overall feel. The Taran G34 still uses a polymer Glock frame, and I'm just not crazy about it. The stock trigger reminds me of a Nintendo Zapper, the nicer triggers remind me of a really sweet paintball marker. Neither are quite right for me.

I used to carry a pencil because of the movie John Wick 2 but I upgraded to a metal pen.

But seriously, I'd only get a gun because of films if it's iconic and feels good to me. Even John Wick wouldn't be able to sell me on a hi-point.

Well, define 'iconic', right? The John Wick franchise has been a huge success. If we are going to say any gun is iconic, it is probably because of Hollywood.

Wait, before the flaming about military and LEOs, please note that outside firearms enthusiast circles, movies are the *only* exposure some people have to firearms. Movies make clothes, cars, drinks, entire lifestyles, seem exotic.

The Beretta 92fs served our military and police forces extremely well. My non-gun friends just call it "the Lethal Weapon/Die Hard gun."

The 1911? Greatest creation to spring forth from the mind of Browning? Seen in countless movies. Most people just call it the 'Colt .45', and know it as the most common example of a 'gun' they have ever seen. No idea how it works, though.

The Smith & Wesson Model 29. This one is an even better example, as it was not even particularly popular until Clint Eastwood sported one in the Dirty Harry films.

The PPK is iconic not for any military service, but because of James Bond (even though he is given a PP in Dr. No,, not a PPK).

View: https://youtu.be/tU98uP7pXA8

How about the Ruger P90 from Desperado?? I must have watched that movie a hundred times growing up as a kid. I bought one about 5 years ago and it was reliable but ugly and heavy so I sold it after about a year. But I'm sure it would have lasted a long time.

1591810181993.png

The Beretta 92 sucks too because I have been tryin to make smiley faces on my targets with it since the late 80s and still can't f***ing do it....what a let down!!
LOL. At MSG school in 96, after qualification with S&W Model 19s (State Department issue) we had a smiley face challenge. At 25 yards, nobody got anything good.

How about the Ruger P90 from Desperado?? I must have watched that movie a hundred times growing up as a kid. I bought one about 5 years ago and it was reliable but ugly and heavy so I sold it after about a year. But I'm sure it would have lasted a long time.

View attachment 364000

Seconded. Loved the way it looked on film. Had a chance to handle one and came away sad.

It did make me want to try a Smith & Wesson 3913NL, but I've yet to encounter one of those. One was used in Demolition Man.

S&W_Model_3913 (1).jpg

Not sure if serious.

Probably one of my biggest regret sales, ever. (P7M8) It's about as close as anyone will ever get to a rolex in a concealable
handgun. It was also my first pistol.

The only real criticism of the gun that I ever had was it overheats easily. You can't run the gun hard for very long. After about 40 rounds you are done for at least 15 minutes.

I'd buy your argument if you said "Magazines too f***ing expensive. Overheats easily. "

HK needs to pull head from ass and make an updated P7.

Seconded. Loved the way it looked on film. Had a chance to handle one and came away sad.

It did make me want to try a Smith & Wesson 3913NL, but I've yet to encounter one of those. One was used in Demolition Man.

View attachment 364005

I bought a 3913 in a hurry one morning at Four Seasons... it was about the time of the Rodney King riots, the natives in Roxbury were restless and planning protests.... I was scheduled to be working right in the middle of it.

At the time I had a Raven 25 , S&W Model 13, and a Glock 17..... and it was May and it was HOT out.... no way to CCW a large gun in our summer uniforms.... no sweater, no jacket...

But if fit in my left pocket , my right side was not protected but my left side was.... and I carried that gun, against company policy for quite a while before selling it to a friend.

Nope, Glock 7.

Made in Germany, this firearm is constructed entirely of porcelain, is capable of passing through airport metal detectors completely unnoticed. The only downside to this amazing weapon is the price, which is quite expensive. The real MSRP is unknown, but experts say that they cost more than the Dulles International Airport Police Chief makes in a month.

I never realized the P7 had such a loyal following. Honestly I never host one. Checked one out at a store back in the 90s and said "Nope, not for me."

View attachment 364000

Yeah. Um, there were guns in that movie??? I recall Salma Hyek getting naked. Guns??? Other actors??? What are these things??

They sell them wherever 'cop killer bullets' are sold... [rolleyes]

View: https://youtu.be/-c1mzkAtHPI

REEEEEGGZZZZZ. KAAAAHHHHPPPKILLLUUHHHHZZZ!!!!!!!

Then he shoots through the blade of a bulldozer. ROFL!!!

Yeah. Um, there were guns in that movie??? I recall Salma Hyek getting naked. Guns??? Other actors??? What are these things??

REEEEEGGZZZZZ. KAAAAHHHHPPPKILLLUUHHHHZZZ!!!!!!!

Then he shoots through the blade of a bulldozer. ROFL!!!

So much saxamaphone. Also, Riggs has exactly three facial expressions.

I shall leave this here.

View: https://youtu.be/BM8w35Sli3w

Another firearm I learned to love from a movie is the Ruger Mark II from Assassins:

View attachment 364014

And I mean, a Mark II is a fine *plinking* gun, but this entire freakin' movie revolves around the two best assassins in the world firing .22lr at each other. And failing miserably:

View: https://youtu.be/tN-3Xawxg0A

Everyone loves the MK series ..... until you try to put it back together after cleaning it.

The love goes away real fast after that

“ Walther PPK, 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. Takes a brush silencer with very little reduction in muzzle velocity. The American CIA swears by them.”

Near as I can find in any of my research, the CIA never carried the Walther PPK, especially in .32 Auto. They used a High Standard for silent interventions of a close up nature.

Oddly enough, I think it was about 4 movies later that SPECTRE refers to Bond as "the only man known to use such a gun."

Still cool, though.

Everyone loves the MK series ..... until you try to put it back together after cleaning it.

The love goes away real fast after that

But would this be your primary weapon?

I think even when Bain uses a rifle near the end, it's chambered in .22

*checks*

LOL... .223. Close enough.

Nope, Glock 7.

Made in Germany, this firearm is constructed entirely of porcelain, is capable of passing through airport metal detectors completely unnoticed. The only downside to this amazing weapon is the price, which is quite expensive. The real MSRP is unknown, but experts say that they cost more than the Dulles International Airport Police Chief makes in a month.

David Huchler's 2018 salary was reported to be $181,000, or about $15,083 a month. Not bad. One could even say that I'm surprised what he makes in a month.

Back
Top Bottom