• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns, Military Shells Seized From Cohasset Home

The firearms in the truck do not look very secure to me, did i miss where cops were exempted from secure storage laws?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is a good point. MGL says that guns being transported must be unloaded and locked up in the trunk of a vehicle or in a locked container. The open bed of a pickup doesn't fit that bill and any citizen transporting guns like that will definitely be arrested. Why then, is it permissible for the police to do that?

[rofl]

sIGa8mj.jpg

62zW3uU.jpg

dyWI3LQ.jpg

Gee , you might think from the comments that most of the sane world disapproves.
Makes you think twice about letting people into your house doesn't it ?

Ohhhh boy...

Cohasset man with unsecured guns faces host of charges

Cohasset police filed charges in Quincy District Court today against Robert Stoddard, 65, Cohasset, for desecrating a grave (3-counts), receiving stolen property (5-counts), improper storage of a handgun (3-counts), and possession of a firearm with obliterated serial numbers.
By Cohasset Mariner

Cohasset Police filed charges in Quincy District Court today against Robert Stoddard, 65, Cohasset, for desecrating a grave (3-counts), receiving stolen property (5-counts), improper storage of a handgun (3-counts), and possession of a firearm with obliterated serial numbers.

Stoddard was the subject of an investigation last week when police investigated complaints about his behavior and unsecured firearms at 50 Doane Street.

While executing a court authorized search warrant last Friday, officers removed numerous unsecured weapons from Stoddard’s home, along with military, fire department, and police grave markers, which police allege he stole from a cemetery across the street from his home.

Police are now working to identify family members of the servicemen, firefighter, and police officer, whose graves were impacted by these thefts.

Police also recovered military mortar shells during the search, which were turned over to the US Navy. Agents from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BUATF) are assisting Cohasset Police Detectives with this case. This remains an active investigation.

http://cohasset.wickedlocal.com/news/20170418/cohasset-man-with-unsecured-guns-faces-host-of-charges

This stinks of a high-handed bullshit hatchet job right here. Firearm with obliterated serial number was probably one of the collectables that just had it rusted off. Only 3 unsecured handguns? I thought he supposedly had a hundred guns lying strewn about the place unsecured? This is definitely going to make him a PP, all over a bullshit warrant from a tip by some moonbat.

This stinks of a high-handed bullshit hatchet job right here. Firearm with obliterated serial number was probably one of the collectables that just had it rusted off. Only 3 unsecured handguns? I thought he supposedly had a hundred guns lying strewn about the place unsecured? This is definitely going to make him a PP, all over a bullshit warrant from a tip by some moonbat.

The police investigating complaints about his behavior, the fact that he had stolen shit from the cemetary across the street, street signs, whatever else that has zero to do with firearms or inert or live artillery rounds, an actual search warrant obtained etc, this stinks of a high handed bullshit hatchet job?

You still dont think Mr Stoddard hadnt drawn attention to himself? You dont see a mental health issue here at all?

Has common sense actually left the building here? Media is now looked upon as being truthful and accurate?

One of the articles linked here somewhere stated that the guy is currently living in the house and cooperating with police. That doesn't exactly reek of mental health concerns.

Aaron[MA];5485535 said:
One of the articles linked here somewhere stated that the guy is currently living in the house and cooperating with police. That doesn't exactly reek of mental health concerns.

Actually, it does reek of mental health concerns.

But what do I know, right?

Gee , you might think from the comments that most of the sane world disapproves.
Makes you think twice about letting people into your house doesn't it ?

The dopes that run the CPD page allow tags......hilarious!

Sadly we need laws to keep people from leaving guns where a child that shouldn't be handling them can get their hands on them. Until people stop giving birth to idiots we will need laws for safe storage of firearms just like we need them for not leaving your kid in a car on a hot day. I do believe that if not for the storage law that there would be more people leaving loaded guns out where kids can access them. If you think it's your right to do just that and you have no responsibility to safely store firearms then we disagree.
Grew up in a house with unsecured firearms without issues and some were even loaded - a good number of friends lived the same way also without incident.
We don't need these laws to protect us, the government needs them to control us.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I am mostly curious about the 98 unsecured firearms around his house that were rounded up but only 3 charges for unsecured firearms that ended up being 3 handguns.

DAs charge the ones they think have the best chance of sticking, and generally don't charge every single thing they could - if they did, there would be a lot more people in prison, for a lot longer. Don't be surprised when the plea bargaining starts, and he ends up with 1/2 or less of the charges the DA actually bothered to bring against him.

Next time you hear about "non violent drug offenders" and how they need to be let out of prison well before their "unfair" term is up, remember that DAs will drop violence charges and weapon charges in exchange for plea deals... or may shoot for easily proven high-penalty drug charges and ignore more difficult to prove violence/weapon charges because they are satisfied with the penalties they know they can get for the former.

Some DAs are like MLB hitters; prima donnas who care more about their averages and the optics of their office than they do about the "team" or the "game" as a whole. Others answer to higher powers who want statistics skewed to meet their narrative/message... then there are the hard-left types who tend to show more mercy to repeat offenders or "oppressed groups" (I've run into two of these in MA).

I am mostly curious about the 98 unsecured firearms around his house that were rounded up but only 3 charges for unsecured firearms that ended up being 3 handguns.

One possibility... they've been taking a beating from gun owners on their FaceBook page and they don't want to make
this guy some kind of 2nd amendment martyr?

One possibility... they've been taking a beating from gun owners on their FaceBook page and they don't want to make
this guy some kind of 2nd amendment martyr?

I think that's very likely. Would explain why they're now making this about grave markers and street signs.

For all you guys taking about the status of this guy's mental health...before CPD pulled downtheir whole FB page, the newest update indicated it was a tax assessor who was looking through his windows, saw some firearms and called it in to the police... Good shit huh?[rolleyes]

Last edited:
For all you guys taking about the status of this guy's mental health...before CPD pulled downtheir whole FB page, the newest update indicated it was a tax assessor who was looking through his windows, saw some firearms and called it in to the police... Good shit huh?[rolleyes]

Another reason why tax collector/assessors were considered lower than lepers on the social scale about 2000 years ago, and the opinion of them since then has only gotten worse.

Dimed by the tax assessor....WTF

Too bad the nosey prick didn't get to meet fluffy.

Now this makes sense. What a piece of shit.

Anyone from that town?
Might want to spread the word that the tax guy is peeping into windows.
Seems like a good way to get your ass kicked if you get caught doing it at the wrong house.

LOL! I think the pressure might have gotten to them, they took the whole page offline...

https://www.facebook.com/Cohasset-Police-Department-Cohasset-MA-172140726161528/

Another reason why tax collector/assessors were considered lower than lepers on the social scale about 2000 years ago, and the opinion of them since then has only gotten worse.

Dimed by the tax assessor....WTF

That's ****ed up.

They're probably allowed to walk around the exterior of the property, but looking through windows?

I'm far from being a lawyer, but it would be awesome if the search warrant was ruled improper
and it resulted in the evidence being inadmissible with the case being tossed.

Stealing from a gravesite is pretty up there on the scumbag scale. It gives me pause on this guy.
Yea, but is there any proof that he did? I'm assuming that there is nothing against owning the plaques (one from each service it seems). If he stole them that's one thing, but if he bought them at a flee market it's a different story.

Same with the street signs. You can buy them in half of the 'antique' stores

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yea, but is there any proof that he did? I'm assuming that there is nothing against owning the plaques (one from each service it seems). If he stole them that's one thing, but if he bought them at a flee market it's a different story.

Ill revise my statement. If he stole the grave items he's s scumbag of the first order. I would think if you bought one on the internet it wouldn't be weathered. Some people collect the weirdest shit.

I'll agree with the grave markers point, only problem with the street sign is it's the name of the street he lives on.

Regardless, even if it was all stolen, and it can be proven, the crime isn't worthy of denying
the guy his 2'nd amendment rights and confiscating all his firearms.

I'll agree with the grave markers point, only problem with the street sign is it's the name of the street he lives on.

Regardless, even if it was all stolen, and it can be proven, the crime isn't worthy of denying
the guy his 2'nd amendment rights and confiscating all his firearms.

If this man did indeed steal grave markers, then screw him. However, the stolen property was only found out because a tax collector decided to snoop around and saw unsecured firearms through the window. Even if he CWOFs out on all charges to avoid federal PP status (not sure about the sentences for stealing, but storage law violation for "high cap" firearms is a misde-felony), I'm sure he'll never get his LTC/guns back because of suitability.

Back
Top Bottom