Guns and Television: What do you watch?

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
I wanted to make a thread dedicated to Guns and Television : shows related to shooting/hunting/military history and such.

As I have Tivo and like to keep a full hard drive of fun shows I was hoping to get some other ideas as to what I might be missing.

Currently I record the following shows:

Shooting USA - outdoor channel
Future Weapons - discovery and military channels
Weaponology - military or history channel
Shootout - discovery
WW2 battlegrounds- military or history

Any other suggestions ??

Last edited:
If you haven't seen it yet, you have to watch (or record) Mail Call on the History Channel. It's basically a former Marine that takes mail or emails that ask questions about military stuff. The guy has also done some acting and his most famous role was the drill seargent in Full Metal Jacket. He's great for this part on Mail Call. My favorite show was when he covered the Machine Gun Shoot a Knob Creek. That was one awesome show.

If you haven't seen it yet, you have to watch (or record) Mail Call on the History Channel. It's basically a former Marine that takes mail or emails that ask questions about military stuff. The guy has also done some acting and his most famous role was the drill seargent in Full Metal Jacket. He's great for this part on Mail Call. My favorite show was when he covered the Machine Gun Shoot a Knob Creek. That was one awesome show.

He was even more prominent in Assault on Fire Base Ladybird and, if you look and listen, you'll spot him as a helo pilot w/Duvall in Apocalypse Now.

"Give me some 20 Mike Mike Vulcan along that tree line." [wink]

If you get the History International channel they have a show "Guns of the World" Last week it was about European revolvers. I usually catch it Sunday mornings if I think about it. It's on around 10 think.

He was even more prominent in Assault on Fire Base Ladybird and, if you look and listen, you'll spot him as a helo pilot w/Duvall in Apocalypse Now.

"Give me some 20 Mike Mike Vulcan along that tree line." [wink]

I hate to be nit-picky but isn't the movie your thinking about called Siege of Fire Base Gloria
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098328/
And also as further insult to all you Jarheads who were inspired to join the Navy based on his acting He went and kissed Jack Black with tongue in the movie Saving Silverman forever casting doubts on the sexual orientation of all Marines. [rofl]

Sorry I was Army and couldn't resist.

Last edited:
The History Channel had an excellent series (that they rerun sometimes) called Tales of the Gun. The episodes are available on DVD but they're expensive.

The History Channel had an excellent series (that they rerun sometimes) called Tales of the Gun. The episodes are available on DVD but they're expensive.
I watch that, too. Lots of fun.

If you haven't seen it yet, you have to watch (or record) Mail Call on the History Channel.
I really like R. Lee Ermey, but my biggest complaint is that he's never met a gun that he didn't like... and I mean that as in he could even find good things to say about a Japanese Nambu! He's the only one I've ever heard who could...

Don't get me wrong; I love watching him shoot stuff I'd never get my hands on, and I'm amused when he blows away all those watermelons... but for Ghu's sake, be honest about a gun's weak points!

... but for Ghu's sake, be honest about a gun's weak points!

That's one of the reasons I like Tales Of The Gun. Many episodes feature William Atwater, Director of the Army Ordnance Museum. He will point out a gun's good and bad points. I wish I could remember his comments about the French Chauchat, they were very funny.

Mail Call a great show -- forget to add that but waiting on the new season

Guns of the World -- sounds good I do have the history international so that will be added

Tales of the Gun -- another great show I have forgot about- thanks for the reminder

Awesome suggestions guys keep em coming my tivo is loving it.

That's one of the reasons I like Tales Of The Gun. Many episodes feature William Atwater, Director of the Army Ordnance Museum. He will point out a gun's good and bad points. I wish I could remember his comments about the French Chauchat, they were very funny.

I think that is the one I was watching a few years back. The guy that was talking about the 1911 was my 8th grade science teacher!

Have not caught that one.. sounds like a target/shooting sport style show.. ill look into it.

It is a different group every week competing in either Pistol, Shotgun, scoped rifle, or sub gun. Supposedly at the end there will be a "Best of the Best" competition.

It is way for Dr. Piazza to highlight his training methods by showing what his students can do compared to others that try the competition.

If nothing else, it shows a great facility.

Regards,

Outdoor channel.

MidwayUSA's WEDNESDAY NIGHT ON THE RANGE
Wednesdays 7:00PM-2:00AM
Presented by MidwayUSA

6:00 PM: American Rifleman Television
6:30 PM: Personal Defense TV
7:00 PM: CBR - Championship Bull Riding
8:00 PM: MidwayUSA's Cowboys
8:30 PM: Shooting Gallery presented by Crimson Trace
9:00 PM: Shooting USA
9:30 PM: Guns & Ammo Classics
10:00 PM: American Rifleman Television
10:30 PM: Personal Defense TV
11:00 PM: CBR - Championship Bull Riding
12:00 AM: MidwayUSA's Cowboys
12:30 AM: Shooting Gallery presented by Crimson Trace
1:00 AM: Prospecting America
1:30 AM: Shooting USA

Regrettably our old Mediaone plan was canceled by Comcast last Summer so we lost all but the "basic digital" channels. As much as I want OLN/VS, it means picking up some packages I really don't want and upping our bill by ~$20/month. Besides I tend not to watch any TV other than FoxNews and sometimes History Channel, so I haven't taken the leap to add another unwanted 50 channels. [I so wish we could do ala carte stations.]

BTW: An "absent" member of our forum from OR has just been hired as the new "Hunting Diva" for OLN/VS (IIRC) broadcasts. I'm going to try to convince Patty to come back to NES and post info on her new job.

BTW: An "absent" member of our forum from OR has just been hired as the new "Hunting Diva" for OLN/VS (IIRC) broadcasts. I'm going to try to convince Patty to come back to NES and post info on her new job.

Very cool

What the hell happened to my Outdoor Network Channel?????

Comcast you bastards-- I went to renew my Season Pass and the channel is missing gone/ good bye-- well atleast "Call Comcast to order" this station.

So I am spending $115 a month to not get the Outdoor Channel - WTF?
Called them to bitch em out and they apologized saying the Platinum (the highest option) tier of service does not include it.. ok what does I ask.. None of them. This is a pay per month channel to add to my service. Im looking into my options now but NO i don't want satellite.

Anyhow back on track the recommendations have been great:
Guns of the World is on top of the list at this time.

thanks all for your recommendations

I DONT HAVE THE MILTARY CHANNEL [crying]

I used to have it when I had Dish... but for some reason, Direct Tv has it in only it's highest package... and that is really the only channel in it I would be paying the extra $20 for. [crying]

Comcast you bastards-- I went to renew my Season Pass and the channel is missing gone/ good bye-- well atleast "Call Comcast to order" this station.

Called them to bitch em out and they apologized saying the Platinum (the highest option) tier of service does not include it.. ok what does I ask.. None of them. This is a pay per month channel to add to my service. Im looking into my options now but NO i don't want satellite.

Interesting!

Outdoor Channel (ch 255 down here) was part of the Sports Pack. It is now called "Versus". Since I don't give a damn about sports (sorry folks), I've been reluctant to pay an additional $15+/month just for this one useful channel. This was as of 6/06 when I last looked into it, don't know if they changed things again.

Well I have "Versus" Does it switch back and forth from Versus to Outdoor?
Actually why am I asking you as I already confirmed with Comcast that I will be stuck paying an extra $15 or so to get it ....back.

My bad!

Sorry I mixed them up.

Comcast 66 was Outdoor Living channel, now called Versus.

Comcast 255 is Outdoor Network channel

Ah, I knew there was another channel I wanted... that one is also on the highest Direct tv package.

I couldn't stand not having the Outdoor channel anymore. I called DirecTV and ordered it ala carte. It cost $2.00 a month additional.
The wife will never know, she'll think the rate went up this month[devil]

Well I have "Versus" Does it switch back and forth from Versus to Outdoor?
Actually why am I asking you as I already confirmed with Comcast that I will be stuck paying an extra $15 or so to get it ....back.

I was able to add the Outdoor channel on DirecTV for an additional $1.50/month. I think you can selectively do that with any of the premium channels... and the service pack that I have is something like $65/month.

Outdoor channel on direct tv every Wens night.

shooting gallery
shooting USA
Guns&ammo TV
American riflemen

There one more but I forget, they all start at like 8:30 and go to 11 every Wens night on channel 606.

love my direct tv!

Ah, I knew there was another channel I wanted... that one is also on the highest Direct tv package.

Man call and order direct tv! I pay 111 a month and I have live every channel and OLN which is like 1.50 extra lol.

Direct tv usally has deals I got 3 rooms done for free sometimes they do up to five rooms for free if there deal is going.

I have Comcast, so I just watch the shooting shows for free on On-Demand whenever the hell the urge hits me!

Back
Top Bottom