• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunmaker offering buyouts

NEWPORT, N.H. --

Firearms maker Sturm, Ruger & Co. is offering voluntary buyout packages to senior employees, changing its pay structure and selling off some property in New Hampshire to help cut costs.

The company announced it hopes to cut its payroll by $3 million in 2007 with buyout offers to 150 employees.

"This is an opportunity for someone close to retirement to get a check to go somewhere else," said Tom Sullivan, vice president of operations at the company's Newport facility.

Sturm, Ruger is based in Southport, Conn., with facilities in Newport and Prescott, Ariz.

Sullivan said the company, and the entire firearms industry, has seen a drop in sales.

Sturm, Ruger recently has made gains in its market share, Sullivan said, but production still is about half what it was during the company's peak in the early 1990s, when the Newport plant alone made some 800,000 guns a year.

If too few employees accept a buyout, Sullivan said the company would let normal attrition and a hiring freeze that's been in place since August take care of the reduction.

"We have no need or intention or desire to do anything like a layoff," Sullivan said. "We're not going to do that."

The company also announced it would abandon its piece-work pay system in favor of hourly wages and is selling some of its 4,400 acres in Newport and part of a dollar art collection housed in its Newport plant

This is pretty typical in a lot of industries. Avaya just did this three months ago and was able to buyout over 1500 associates. The package was a dream come true for some of the workers close to retirement. Two years salarie with benefits. [shocked] Damn, I'd take that now and I still have 20 plus years until retirement.

apparently we're not doing out part!
Ruger makes absolutely nothing I would *want* to buy except the M77 MKII Magnum and the No. 1 Light Sporter. However, I don't need two more hunting rifles. But they are sexy looking, both.

Their tag line "Arms Maker For Responsible Citizens" has implications I dislike also.

Ruger has steadfastly refused to produce guns for CCW (excepting the SP101, of course). Except for their .22lr pistols, their semi-autos are not exactly ground-breaking.

So it is no surprise to me that their sales are falling off.

Ruger makes absolutely nothing I would *want* to buy except the M77 MKII Magnum and the No. 1 Light Sporter. However, I don't need two more hunting rifles. But they are sexy looking, both.

Their tag line "Arms Maker For Responsible Citizens" has implications I dislike also.

There's still a number of gun owners out there that refuse to buy their products because of Bill Rugers complicity in the 94 AWB (specifically... the "hi-cap" magazine limitation).

Maybe Ruger wouldn't have to lay off people if they made firearms that go
beyond being politically correct. They make products that mostly cater
to fudds and extremely casual shooters. About the only products that
are super hits with enthusiasts is the MKII/III series pistols and the persistent
10/22. Some of their revolvers arent bad, but I can't name more than like
5 or 6 products from them offhand that I would buy. On the other
hand, if I won the lottery I'd be buying about half of what S+W releases for
sale (especially the beautiful stuff from the performance center!).

Ruger could easily roll out some cool products that would sell quickly but
their lawyerism prevents them from going anywhere. (EG, why no
Ruger MP9 semiautomatic carbine?) If they made a Mini-14 that had a
non shitty barrel and took AR mags they'd probably make a killing off
that, too.

-Mike

Maybe Ruger wouldn't have to lay off people if they made firearms that go
beyond being politically correct. They make products that mostly cater
to fudds and extremely casual shooters.
Pretty much what I was trying to say.

Ruger seem to say "If you are not a fudd, you do not need guns".

I say "I am not a fudd, and I definitely neither need nor want your guns".

That also goes for about 99% of what Remington and 100% of what USRAC and Browning make (or import in the case of Browning, as they make nothing).

Pretty much what I was trying to say.
Ruger seem to say "If you are not a fudd, you do not need guns".
Actually, he said that no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in a gun, and that the country needs a complete and total ban on the civilian possession of magazines with a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.

Although Bill Ruger Sr. is long gone, the Sturm Ruger corporation has never repudiated that statement and has a history of voluntarily restricting large capacity mini-14 magazines even when not required by law to do so.

Draw your own conclusion.

I conclude that I won't be buying any rugers. ... okay , I already have a 10/22 ... but I also agree they are stupidly biting the hand that feeds them.

And if they had the brains to put a proper barrel on the Mini14&'30s and the balls to make them compatible with AR mags I probably would have bought one instead of the Bushmaster .... which I now know would have been a mistake anyway.

It's just frustrating. The Mini 14's could be so much more than they ever were. AND let ME decide what mags I want. Even Bushmaster sold me a silly 10 rounder with my M4-ish carbine and then I got to choose whether or not to buy 30 round magazines. ( 8 of them ).

Hell with Ruger , hope they are happy with what they are doing ...

Never thought of the use of AR magazines in their Mini 14's but that would be a great idea.

One the other hand, we had AC556K's years back and they never functioned properly. We got rid of them for a song and bought AR15's.

Never thought of the use of AR magazines in their Mini 14's but that would be a great idea.

Someone makes - or at least made - a hermaphroditic mag; it works (allegedly) in both the AR and Mini. I never used it in a Mini, but it works in my AR. [wink]

Ruger is rolling out a Mini-14 version with an improved barell...

Sturm, Ruger's New Target Model Ranch Rifle is a "Minute-of-Angle Mini!"
November 7, 2006
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), is proud to introduce a new target rifle for today's rapid-fire action shooting competition events, such as the Shooting Industry Masters Tournament. The Ruger® Mini-14® series of rifles has been extremely popular since first introduced in 1974. Simple, rugged, and reliable, these rifles have proven so popular around the woods, farm, and ranch that they earned the nickname "Ranch Rifle," which is the name Sturm, Ruger now uses to describe all Mini-14 rifles that come from the factory with scope mounting features.

While the lightweight barrel of the original Mini-14 made it easy to carry afield, it did not always produce optimum accuracy. Many shooters have requested a Mini-14 with a heavier barrel, and Sturm, Ruger has responded with its New Target Model Ranch Rifle, which, with the correct ammunition, is truly a "minute-of-angle Mini!"

Its distinctive heavyweight, hammer forged, matte stainless steel target barrel features a recessed target crown and an adjustable barrel weight, so that each owner can "tune" the rifle to obtain the best accuracy from the particular ammunition being used. One-inch groups at 100 yards can be regularly obtained with suitable ammunition for the individual rifle.

Of equally striking appearance is the Target Rifle's new grey laminated target stock, again with details designed by target shooters for target shooters. It features the wide, flat forend for easy holding or resting on sandbags, the butt hook for securing the rifle against the shoulder with the non-shooting hand while benchresting, and the high comb for comfortable use with precision telescopic sights. A ventilated handguard helps to dissipate heat and to prevent accuracy-spoiling heat waves from disturbing your aim. A non-slip grooved rubber buttpad is provided with three spacers to change the length of pull by up to 1-1/2 inches.

Like all Ruger Ranch Rifles, the New Target Model comes from the factory set up for scope use. Patented Ruger scope bases are machined directly into the receiver and never shoot loose. A set of stainless steel Ruger scope rings, a $80.00 value, is included free with each Ruger Ranch Rifle. A patented recoil buffer protects the scope reticle from damage due to rapidly moving parts when firing this autoloading target rifle, and its side ejection of cartridge cases easily clears the lowest-mounted scope.

The New Target Model Ranch Rifle features a satin-finished stainless steel receiver and barrel, pleasingly rounded in contour, and helping to prevent harsh glare from disturbing the shooter's aim. It comes with a 5-round magazine, a California-compliant padlock, and a comprehensive instruction manual. It is chambered for the .223 Remington cartridge, a favorite for practical shooting competition and accurate varmint shooting.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/N-Firearms_News.html#

It's something I'd consider buying (even if I don't care for the GheY ass stock).

I owned a Mini-14 ages ago. I never considered it a serious firearm (as in terms of accuracy), but it was inexpensive (as was ammo at the time); it was a fun-gun that one could just take out and plink away with then just toss it back in the closet until the next outing.

Currently... I own an obligatory Mk-III and 10/22, but other than that, there's not much else that Ruger has to offer that rings my bell (maybe a GP-100 or Vasqureo (SP) .

Ruger is a manufacturer I can take or leave, however... even given their past
(and present), practices, I hope this move is just a restructuring/business/cost saving maneuvre and not an indication that the company could fold or be sold to a foreign buyer in a few years... the American firearms industry has been on the decline, and that's something the anti-gun side salivates over.

Someone makes - or at least made - a hermaphroditic mag; it works (allegedly) in both the AR and Mini. I never used it in a Mini, but it works in my AR. [wink]

No need to be coy or cute about it... at least explain to the folks why that conversion/mod is perfectly legal. [wink]

Ruger is rolling out a Mini-14 version with an improved barell...

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/N-Firearms_News.html#

It's something I'd consider buying (even if I don't care for the GheY ass stock).

I owned a Mini-14 ages ago. I never considered it a serious firearm (as in terms of accuracy), but it was inexpensive (as was ammo at the time); it was a fun-gun that one could just take out and plink away with then just toss it back in the closet until the next outing.

Currently... I own an obligatory Mk-III and 10/22, but other than that, there's not much else that Ruger has to offer that rings my bell (maybe a GP-100 or Vasqureo (SP) .

Ruger is a manufacturer I can take or leave, however... even given their past
(and present), practices, I hope this move is just a restructuring/business/cost saving maneuvre and not an indication that the company could fold or be sold to a foreign buyer in a few years... the American firearms industry has been on the decline, and that's something the anti-gun side salivates over.

Well, that's moderately interesting. Not enough to make me buy one, though. The only Ruger I have is a Single Six .22/.22 mag single action revolver. Decent little plinker, but I have no desire for any other of their guns. I pick them up at the gun store and check them out, and they just do nothing for me. Not a big stainless fan either.

A target grade Mini-14 is an oxymoron.

Unless you live somewhere where you cannot get an AR in any legal way, I'd pass.

I may be stoned as a heretic, but I find the 10/22 does not even feel like a real rifle. It feels cheap and toy-like. Yes, they are inexpensive, but I am not so hard-up that I cannot afford another $100 over the cost of one so that I can purchase a real rifle like a CZ 452.

the American firearms industry that caters to fudds has been on the decline, and that's something the anti-gun side salivates over.

Fixed it for you. The segment of the industry that caters to fans of military style rifles has never been stronger. And I'm not just talking ARs.

Rugers arn't bad. As a matter of fact they are built pretty rugged. It depends on what your looking for. The el chepo 10/22 isn't my first pick but the Deluxe Sporter model that I have is a really nice little shooter. Also, I intend to get 2 blackhawk convertables one in .357/9mm the other in their 45 colt/45 acp to match up to all my Marlins. Also I will be getting the model single six convertable in 22 LR/22mag, and don't forget that 22lr revolvers can use 22l and 22 short. In essence that's 8 calibers in single action for around $1200. Just my 2 cents.

I have the 10/22 and love it...and if I can find one at a price I'll pay...I'll get me a nice 77/22 at well.

And, speaking at one of the cowboy shooters here in MA. Ruger makes the only Single Action Pistols that we can get in this state. SO, if they were to go under, we'd be screwed as a shooting sport because we can't get pistols.

And I have to say, shooting Rugers, they are pretty damn accurate little buggers.

And I have a Super Redhawk that I love to shoot as well. It's very comfy to hold for a large pistol, and shoots really well.

Seems like a lot of negativism against Ruger when the problem is the elected officials who YOU are responsible for putting in office.

I own MANY Rugers, incl 10-22s, SAs, and a M77 as well as the Security Six Target .357 that I bought used many years ago which is more accurate than my S&Ws and Colt Trooper. Great carry gun. My P90D .45 acp is not so bad in the accuracy dept either, PLUS if I ran out of ammo it would still be deadly missile if thrown at a BG! :)

Seriously, some of your ideas for guns not made or improvements to those that are in the Ruger inventory could be of interest to many ... or not! What I find interesting and worth buying may not interest you at all. Surprise!

What we need is an up-to-date version of the Remington Rolling Block rifle in the large calibers for long range target shooting. I am sure that this would be within the capabilities of Ruger to mfgr at a decent price.

Seems like a lot of negativism against Ruger when the problem is the elected officials who YOU are responsible for putting in office.

This has nothing to do with laws or lawmakers. Even if Ruger Sr had not advocated for capacity limits, the fact remains that most of his company's products do not fill any need I have, and the few that do have better alternatives available from their competition.

I seem to recall including Remington, US Repeating Arms Company, and Browning in the same group as Ruger.

Robinson Arms, Sako, Rock River, LMT, Bushmaster, FN, GA Precision, Savage, Tikka, CZ, Smith & Wesson, and many other companies make what I am interested in.

Yeah, but "consorting with the enemy" in the way that ruger does is not
helpful to the industry as a whole.

I don't think anyone here is blaming ruger for the AWB, but it doesn't
help when one of america's biggest gun manufacturers has decided to
tuck its balls between its legs and bend over even before the politicians
even asked them to. It's as if they're preparing a pole with a white
flag on it, hoping they will be spared by cooperating. I think if Ruger
as a company grew a pair, people would be more willing to buy their
products. (They could start by not printing the whole safety section of
the manual for the gun on the side of the barrels!)

-Mike

Negativism towards Ruger? Hmmpphh.

I've got a 10/22. Nice rifle. An SP101 -- awful heavy for a concealed carry. And a MKII -- very nice .22lr target pistol. But I'm not interested in anything else they make.

Mini-14? Inaccurate and can't get decent standard capacity magazines. An AR15 has far more choices so that I can make it just what I want. Only now are they finally addressing the accuracy problem. Too late.

GP100? I'd rather have a S&W. In fact, I do (a 66 and a 19).

As for their bolt-action rifles, there's nothing there that I can't get from Remington, Browning, or Winchester.

As for their centerfire semi-auto pistols, there's just nothing there at all. Not a single one that I would consider.

I suppose I'll be in the same league as Ruger if I grant a network TV interview advocating a magazine ban.

I've got a Mark 1, a 10/22 and a P90. Great guns, all of them. If Ruger made a DA .22 revolver, I'd buy one of those, too.

I really like my gp100 great gun built to last and I have a sw 686 to. And they make the only SA revolvers that you can buy new. They do make a sp101 in 22lr which is sa/da.

Back
Top Bottom