• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Offering Rebates

It seems to me that it wasn't all that long ago that they were selling Shields for like $199 with the rebate.
That was cheap enough that I almost considered buying one. I remember thinking that maybe I would buy one to give as a gift to a youngster starting the voyage into firearms owner. Then I realized how cruel that would be.
I fell for the original marketing ("Shields - The greatest thing since sliced bread"!)... and even bought a second Shield 9 for the good wife when Atlantic Tactical came to town and was selling them dirt cheap (before they went exclusive cop shop on us). In the end, I decided I liked and shot other guns better and I sold both of them. I still have my Shield 45, but I'm not sure why I even bought it. Big mistake on my part even though it's a free state version. The funny thing there is that S&W ended up selling them cheap with their rebates at half of what I paid for mine. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. 😡

I don't get all of the hate for Shields. I had a 1st Gen 9mm (since no one else was making something similar). I thought the trigger was fine, it was accurate enough, and easy to pocket carry, including my winter vest. I had a part-time cop telling me he tried the Shield .45, and it was great - mild recoil. After having shot a Colt Officer I didn't believe him, but later bought a Shield .45. For a .45, yes, recoil was mild. I think I only got rid of it because I couldn't find a holster for it (lots of 9mm/40S&W, but none for the .45 at the time).

I don't get all of the hate for Shields. I had a 1st Gen 9mm (since no one else was making something similar). I thought the trigger was fine, it was accurate enough, and easy to pocket carry, including my winter vest. I had a part-time cop telling me he tried the Shield .45, and it was great - mild recoil. After having shot a Colt Officer I didn't believe him, but later bought a Shield .45. For a .45, yes, recoil was mild. I think I only got rid of it because I couldn't find a holster for it (lots of 9mm/40S&W, but none for the .45 at the time).
I can only speak for myself. My Shield 9, in time, turned out to be too bulky for pocket carry and too small as a worthwhile range gun. At the time, I preferred the LC9s for pocket carry (most recently replaced with a P365) and any one of a dozen other plastic wonders for range use, including my M&P9c. So no big hatred thing. There were just other guns that I liked better.

Back
Top Bottom