• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun seized after man walked into Brockton hospital with it holstered

I dont think deleted threads count as dupes but hopefully this one stays around. A perfect example of how meaningless a permission slip can be. Scary times for sure.

Didn't you hear? Muuaaaarraahhh issued a new edict. If you don't encase your guns in a tub of concrete, they aren't considered properly stored.

Good job, Brockton Police. What a pile of tools. And I'm not a fan of divorce, but agree this guy needs one. Gosh she's dumb.

Just another example of why you don’t talk to the police or ever let them in your home. As soon as I was discharged I would be filing for divorce.

Also... trigger locks aren’t proper storage?

There is a sad "take-away" here. SOs (and other family members) should be instructed NOT to talk with the police. A spouse can't be forced to testify against their spouse, but that doesn't mean that police won't try to coerce info out of each and every person to "build a case" (even if there is no case to begin with). Ignorance by the wife here led to this disaster that will cost $10-20K minimum to make go away (but the arrest record stays forever and likely no guns/LTC will be the end result as well).

Yes, ignorance of Mass gun laws by LEOs is rampant, and don't expect the judges or DAs to be any more knowledgeable or respectful of what is actually written in MGL.

There may be more to this story than we've been told, but on the surface it is made up "violations" and persecution (not prosecution) for non-crimes. Plus as a few mentioned, refusing medical care is a civil rights violation that he could take to Federal Court after he sorts out the illegal arrest.

There may be more to this story than we've been told, but on the surface it is made up "violations" and persecution (not prosecution) for non-crimes. Plus as a few mentioned, refusing medical care is a civil rights violation that he could take to Federal Court after he sorts out the illegal arrest.

I have heard this brought up more than once now and it is usually a staple excuse to justify the seemingly inexcusable but in this case with the reported actions and statements given by officials under what scenario could you see this story holding water?

View attachment 233988

How is carrying a holstered firearm 'brandishing'? WTF? The fail in this on so many levels.....
It points out that the officers who made the arrest and gave the story to the media had a personal agenda.

No such thing as a "brandishing" law in Mass. The Simkin case made it clear that a holstered gun is not a threat.

All that said, the area is a high crime area, with lots of drug crime and shooters which when the hospital called 911 in a panic would put the police on edge. I'm certain that Brockton PD doesn't like folks walking around with "protection" against those elements. I'm also aware that Brockton PD tries to be insular and readily ignores MGLs in a number of areas, not just guns, they tend to hang up on people that call asking for info (happened to my Wife twice many years ago when she inquired about a ticket she received 9 months after she was stopped). I was warned by a high ranking official that I knew personally that if I called the general number for assistance serving legal papers that they would just hang up on me - he gave me a special supervisor number and all went well (it was a locked down treatment facility that attempted to prevent service of the paper until the 2 BPD Officers I was with warned them otherwise) and that was just a few years ago. I know a number of retired BPD officers, one of whom I worked with prior to his leaving our PD for BPD, it is a very tough gig in that city. I'm not forgiving their (intentional) ignorance, just explaining it.

Hope some nice civil rights lawyer ([rofl][rofl]Sorry - they only take cases AGAINST guns) takes his case and they get a decent settlement from BPD.

It's one thing to say, "Look, man. This isn't Newton or Easton, it's BRAAAHHHKTIN! Stow the gun when going to hospital, OK?" It's another to just continue to jam the guy up with BS charges. I hate people who sue, but I hope this guy ends up getting some dough.

"Although the trigger locks were in place, the guns were not in proper locked storage."

WTF?
Seriously! When the f*** did this happen?!

I am soooo sick and tired of tyrants making up new lawrs as they go. This is ridiculous! So, if someone has a shotgun in their closet with a trigger lock on it, that is NOT safe storage now?!

I am soooo sick and tired of tyrants making up new lawrs as they go. This is ridiculous! So, if someone has a shotgun in their closet with a trigger lock on it, that is NOT safe storage now?!

What? Isn’t the MGL pretty clear that a gun lock or trigger lock is permissible safe storage?

There IS only one answer for these questions, right. RIGHT?

(Oh, and what is the answer?)

Ask Fleury about flimsy locks. [rolleyes]

The state's got a railroad ticket for this guy, and if by some miracle he comes up with enough money to make it go away he better wisen up and move out of this shithole state.

I guess the answer is they’ll interpret the law as they see fit if they want to prosecute you. Then it’s up to you to defend yourself, if you can.

it does not matter LEO will write up any charges they can think of leaving you to defend yourself in front of the judge.

Or perhaps even a <shudder> jury of your peers. My recent experience with anything GUNZ regardless of actual law means your automatically guilty with little or no deliberation involved yet the old pervert who has a habit of getting young girls drunk before raping them ends up inconclusive.

Back
Top Bottom