Gun seized after man walked into Brockton hospital with it holstered

No unsafe storage, carrying a gun on the surface of the water within 500ft of Logan. Different charge. But, if you had a boating accident, the state would have to prove you had the guns while on the SURFACE of the water.

I was gonna say submarining accident but amm beat me to it.

No. it means that if they notice you have a firearm, they can tell you to leave. If you refuse, you can be trespassed. Stop making shit up. Learn the law. That is not what the law says and in Massachusetts a sign is not legally binding.This has been covered a thousand times on NES and spreading false info does not help anyone. Policies and laws are different. Many malls have signs banning firearms, that does not make it law.

I don't own any cheap firearms, and my WWII Marine father taught us how to strip and replace gun parts before I was 12, and I got real good at it as an Infantry Marine myself, especially when bored to tears floating on a Navy ship where we would detail strip and reassemble everything for M60's to 1911's just to pass the time, so I don't need to consult books or the internet.
But here is a news flash for you, you don't let anyone in without a warrant. And if they show up with a warrant, you have way bigger problems than your storage habits. They won't give a frogs fat ass where your firing pins are stored. Your guns are leaving.
So, just in case some newbs are reading this and don't prescribe to your paranoia...

It is perfectly legal to store you firearm with just a trigger lock in your home. Long gun in a closet with a trigger guard? Legal. Pistol in a shoe box with a trigger guard? Legal. Hell, it is legal sitting on your coffee table. It is stupid, but not illegal

It is perfectly legal to store a loaded firearm in a safe, or a bedside/nightstand safe. A quick access safe with a loaded firearm is not only legal, it is smart.

It is perfectly legal to store a fire arm in a safe with the ammo and loaded magazines. You can keep your AR in the safe, with 10 loaded 30 round magazines on the shelf right next to it. And while it is not a good idea to store thousands of rounds in your safe, and I keep most ammo separate except for some loaded magazines, it's legal.

It is perfectly legal to store your firearm in a locked case in your vehicle without a trigger lock. It has to be unloaded and ammo has to be separate. The ammo does not have to be locked up. It can be in a paper bag on the backseat. Legal. Everyone that carries should have a lock box for their vehicle

Gun owners who interpret laws incorrectly, and then spread false info to fit their own foolish narrative don't help anybody but the gun grabbers. It is not illegal to carry a gun in a hospital. There are a few "teaching hospitals" like Tufts that have schools on the premises but even most of those keep the schools separate and hard to get into. Just because a hospital, restaurant, shopping mall or other establishment puts up a sign that says "No guns" doesn't make it a crime to carry a gun there in Massachusetts.
Schools, post office, courthouse ( and some will check your firearm) and Federal buildings. That's it. If you are going to own and carry, you really should take the time to learn the laws. Oh, and stay off the Boston common and check the laws for national/state parks.

But, you do you BooBoo. You want to pull your firing pins, go for it.
facts.

Don’t bring Maura’s FAQ into this.

A81204_E4-_BBCC-4684-_AE00-83_A4457_EBBFE.gif

was the Hospital Policies dictate if you can
There was an implication in the context of the discussion that "can" meant "can legally". If it just means "can" you "can" carry anywhere without a security checkpoint, although that Braintree parent caught with a gun in his kid's school is learning this is not always a good idea.

Because I choose to be even more cautious most of mine have the firing pin removed and stored in another safe. Having firearms out with just a trigger lock on them provides the PoPo with an opportunity to not only take them but make the case you are irresponsible with your storage etc and the rescind or not renew you CC.

No different than the Open Carry laws in Mass, huge grey area but why poke the bear and spend 10s thousands on lawyers.
I'm not sure whether to laugh at how you store your guns, shake my head at the fact that you're worried about following the law, or explain to you that there is no gray area here.

They have books on how to easily remove bolts, firing pins etc. just in case you get lost.
If you are carrying a firearm there’s nothing that says you can’t go to the hospital, you’d best be served to insure that the hospital security knows and they would likely hold it until such time you were discharged. It’s their policy so they control that, not MGL. That was my point and it’s still valid
[rofl]

Actually it’s you who might be challenged since what I stated about hospitals is fact. I never in any post said it was illegal to carry in the hospital what I said was the Hospital Policies dictate if you can. They also reserve the right to ask you to leave and if you don’t they could get you for trespassing.

Maybe you need a free year on NES but I’m fine and can handle the bill myself. The previous poster who said point out an error, The error was him stating I said it was illegal to carry in the hospital , not to make you feel stupid or anything

Show us their written policy.

About all I found was their nursing student handbook (http://bhson.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Student-Handbook.pdf), which states:

Weapons Related Threat Plan- Code Silver Code Silver is the phrase used to describe a weapons related threat; armed or believed to be armed person who has or intends to use deadly force or inflict serious injury to victims. Signature Healthcare Brockton Hospital, and affiliated facilities, is committed to providing a safe environment for patients, visitors, and employees. The Code Silver Weapons Related Threat Response Plan applies to all properties and facilities owned, occupied, or managed by Signature Healthcare, including clinical, and administrative areas at the Brockton Hospital and at off-site locations. For this purpose, a weapon is defined as a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury; or anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury. Possession of a weapon providing no threat does not qualify as Code Silver activation.

Code Silver Response Plan: 
GET OUT
o If safe, evacuate. Leave belongings behind.
o Help patients, visitors and staff. 

HIDE OUT o Hide out of the perpetrator’s view.
o Close patient doors.
o Block entry or lock doors.
o Silence cell phone/pager. 

CALL OUT
o If safe, dial the hospital emergency line x2233 or x12233.
o Call 911. 

TAKE OUT As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger:
o Attempt to incapacitate the perpetrator.
o Act with aggression and throw items.
o Act as aggressively as possible. o Improvise weapons.
o Commit to your actions

(sorry if all the formatting doesn't come through. I bolded the pertinent part that I saw)

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether to laugh at how you store your guns, shake my head at the fact that you're worried about following the law, or explain to you that there is no gray area here.

[rofl]

I guess the only mistake you made wa thinking I give a crap what you think

You’re a day late, go to the hospital it’s poated there , take a picture and then you can post it

Well I live in North Carolina so it's a bit out of my way to drive over to Brockton. But as has been stated here and several other places, signage stating "no guns allowed" is non-binding in MA. All they can do is ask him to leave. Which it seems he did.

Well I live in North Carolina so it's a bit out of my way to drive over to Brockton. But as has been stated here and several other places, signage stating "no guns allowed" is non-binding in MA. All they can do is ask him to leave. Which it seems he did.

Great you proved my point, thank you

Great you proved my point, thank you

If your point is that hospital policy does not apply to anyone who doesn't work there due to no binding sinage law then why do you keep saying that it dictates what you can do? The trespassing law dictates how they can deal with someone being on their property that they want to leave because of any or no reason and has nothing to do with policy.

If the police and hospital staff were acting properly, the title would be "Gun placed in temporary safe storage by police while patient is treated".

I don’t think the MGL could be any more clear that a trigger lock is acceptable safe storage. It would seem they decided to harass this guy by throwing a bunch of shit against the wall to see if any would stick.

If your point is that hospital policy does not apply to anyone who doesn't work there due to no binding sinage law then why do you keep saying that it dictates what you can do? The trespassing law dictates how they can deal with someone being on their property that they want to leave because of any or no reason and has nothing to do with policy.
It’s their policy, they dictate if you can or cannot being one on their property. If you do they can tell you to leave. If you don’t then you’re trespassing. Pretty simple

It’s their policy, they dictate if you can or cannot being one on their property. If you do they can tell you to leave. If you don’t then you’re trespassing. Pretty simple
The entire point is nothing really bad will happen if you ignore the policy and get caught as long as you leave when told to. When people on this forum refer to places they "can't carry" they are generally referring to places where they are searched going in (I know the PC term is "screened"), or where they will be subject to criminal charges if caught, even if willing to peacefully leave.

The shitty lesson here is that if you cross the cops / DA’s office and they want to make your life difficult they can charge you with whatever and it’s up to you to prove you didn’t break the law. In the meantime your name and the charge is out there and many folks will judge you before you have your day in court. They’ll likely never hear about your successful defense, though, if you manage to mount one. And you’ll be pressured to take a plea deal with jail time hanging over your head if you risk trial. Not to mention the cost of defending yourself- both financial and time.

I was always lead to believe that in MA any business that posted "on guns" or the like, were infringing on your rights or something and were not enforceable.

although i get the feeling i am going to be corrected

G

I was always lead to believe that in MA any business that posted "on guns" or the like, were infringing on your rights or something and were not enforceable.

although i get the feeling i am going to be corrected

G

If you mean "No guns" you are correct. There is no crime committed by ignoring such a sign. If the owner of the property (Or an employee or staff member or such) asks you to leave, whether because they saw your gun or because they don't like your hair color and you refuse to leave you are trespassing.

ETA: Not because it infringes a right, but because there is no law giving those signs any power.

Back
Top Bottom