• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun safe in medical facility?

PappyM3

NES Member
At a 3rd party medical office for a VA appointment, and I see this safe.

Based active shooter defeat system, or mundane medical purpose?

C92F93C5-13C8-45C5-B705-62B5DB3E9119.jpeg

View attachment 794971

I worked for a vet that did this. They had a problem with their customers stealing clean sharps but wanted to keep them close by.

That looks like a standard commercial warded lock. Probably be opened with a jiggler key.

View attachment 794971
LPL's review starts out with "the best thing i can say about this so-called security safe is that the maker was self-aware enough to warn buyers not to store firearms or narcotics inside..." (it only goes downhill from there)

Storage for patients during urinalysis?

I went for a piss test for a job once and the facility had a lock box you would empty your pockets into so that you couldn't bring in your own clean piss. Wallet, keys, pistol, knife went into it, no big deal at all.

I have, by this time learned that in civilian life, unlike the military, you go into the bathroom by yourself for a urinalysis. So, unlike my mistake when I first got out of the Army, I didn't ask the nurse if she was required to observe the procedure. Actually, I think the phrase I used was "Don't you want to watch?" She was mad until an older nurse explained the military insanity.

An acquaintance in the medical field had one particular patient that would steal cotton balls, tongue depressors, band-aids, and anything else she could find in the exam room while waiting. The office learned to keep the exam room door open until the practitioner showed up.

Storage for patients during urinalysis?

I went for a piss test for a job once and the facility had a lock box you would empty your pockets into so that you couldn't bring in your own clean piss. Wallet, keys, pistol, knife went into it, no big deal at all.

I have, by this time learned that in civilian life, unlike the military, you go into the bathroom by yourself for a urinalysis. So, unlike my mistake when I first got out of the Army, I didn't ask the nurse if she was required to observe the procedure. Actually, I think the phrase I used was "Don't you want to watch?" She was mad until an older nurse explained the military insanity.

I did a piss test last week where I had to leave my wallet with $110 in cash in it in a room for about 10 minutes. Was not happy about it and couldn't believe I didn't have anywhere to put it.

Nothing was stolen but it was all I was thinking about during the test.

Not to hijack, but what small safe has a good, reasonably pick-proof lock?
How small? Go up to a larger combination-lock safe and you can get a model setup for the “universal footprint” lock mount template, meaning you can upgrade the mechanism to meet your needs.

All affordable consumer-marketed keyed lock boxes are weak, rarely designed to accept a quality replacement core. Better off buying a steel box with a shielded hasp that can accept something like an Abus Granit (a keyed padlock).

If one is talking about a lock operated by a key, then ultimately there is no such thing as "pick proof." Given the requisite tools and skill, an experienced picker can pick any keyed lock given enough time, since ultimately the picker is presenting the lock with the same stimulus that a valid key would present.

In this class, the issue is "given enough time." There is an industry standard for when a keyed lock is considered high security: if it would take someone with Harry's skills and tools more than X minutes to open it. The notion is that few bad guy pickers would expose themselves longer than X minutes, but rather find another way in.

As for non-keyed locks:

Any tubular lock can be picked, usually quite quickly, with the right tool. No skill required.

Most of the thumb wheel number type locks likewise.

Most electronic locks (combos on safes or "biometrics") pretty much ditto, because they all have to have secondary keyed entries in case the batteries for the electronics run out.

The closest you're going to find for a lock that is "pick proof" would be the old standard Sargent & Greenleaf three-wheel mechanical combos. You can actually get in without the combo, but you need an expensive spinner and lots (many hours) of time for it to run.

Bottom line: Settle for a pin or disc detainer type lock with some security pins, an anti-drill pin, and varied lock pin springs. My favorite is Primus. You will spend some money. And, while Harry could still get in, but there aren't that many Harry's out there to worry about.

Most safe locks are going to have cheap locks. There are probably some out there that are very difficult to pick but I doubt they will be easily found at stores.

Any tubular lock can be picked, usually quite quickly, with the right tool. No skill required.

Most electronic locks (combos on safes or "biometrics") pretty much ditto, because they all have to have secondary keyed entries in case the batteries for the electronics run out.
Yes, especially the ACE 137 7 pin centered lock. Other configs require less common specialized tools, and the laundroman shielded version requires the very rare Zebra 7 pic ACK pick.

"Real" safe locks don't generally have key overrides, but the Taylow Security Phoenix can open most of the models that are not 2740 rated (not available for sales to civilians on the primary market, but findable on ebay)

The closest you're going to find for a lock that is "pick proof" would be the old standard Sargent & Greenleaf three-wheel mechanical combos. You can actually get in without the combo, but you need an expensive spinner and lots (many hours) of time for it to run.

There are ratings II, IIm, I and Ir. I is the hardest and used on post office safes. Ir is also immune from radiological attach, but has plastic rather than metal wheels.

There are also II and IIm S&Gs with 4 wheels.

As to the second part - "... or a lot of skill and some graph paper".

"Real" safe locks don't generally have key overrides, but the Taylow Security Phoenix can open most of the models that are not 2740 rated (not available for sales to civilians on the primary market, but findable on ebay)
FWIW, there are electronic safe locks which do not have a bypass key (or other documented bypass), rather they have external battery contacts to power it back up in the case of a dead battery.

Just made an account to let you folks know that I found this page on my Google Home Page with the title, "Gun Safe in Medical Facility?"
Point being that many middle of the road types may be directed to your forum so sit up strait and brush your hair. Give them a good impression of gun owners please.

What were you searching for?

Just made an account to let you folks know that I found this page on my Google Home Page with the title, "Gun Safe in Medical Facility?"
Point being that many middle of the road types may be directed to your forum so sit up strait and brush your hair. Give them a good impression of gun owners please.
[rofl2]

I agree with you, but this is NES and that‘s not gonna happen.

Why steal needles when you can just pickup discarded needles on the street for free?!

Well we found @rogersmithiii sock puppet account.

Back
Top Bottom