Gun range ordered to shutdown (+some stupid sheeple bonus quotes too)

This post is a duplicate of and should be merged with: Clinton range ordered to stop shots

(-;

I have this from two old, old posts:

Oct 2002:

update:
Nimrod decision postponed
ZBA awaiting more information

http://princeton.thelandmark.com/story.php3?story=4090

"...noise major concern
...neighbors asked for a fence
...range be re-oriented
...shooting into the sun
...willing to stipulate to a continuance
...noise-abatement expert ...series of alternative solutions"

Jan? 2003:
ZBA grants special permit for Nimrod expansion
http://www.thelandmark.com/story.php3?story=4689

Princeton Ð The Zoning Board of Appeals last week unanimously granted a
special permit to the Nimrod League of Holden, Inc. for expansion of its
club at 168 Coal Kiln Road.

ZBA members placed one condition on the permit, that no shooting be allowed
after 9 p.m. with the exception of law enforcement officers training and
certification.

Last edited:
http://telegram.com/article/20091007/NEWS/910070374/1116

CLINTON — Another cease-and-desist order has been issued against shooting at the Clinton-owned former firing range in Lancaster, but this time it is directed at the Clinton Police Department, which had been given the OK by town officials to use the range for bi-yearly firearms certifications.

As a result, Police Chief Mark R. Laverdure has accused officials in both towns of using his department as a pawn in an ongoing political issue.

“I’m not happy about it,” the chief said yesterday. “We are planning to do the certifications this month, and we’re getting ready for it. I’m shocked that they would do this. The last directive I got was to continue to shoot there.”

Lancaster Town Administrator Orlando Pacheco confirmed yesterday the order was issued by Lancaster Building Inspector Peter M. Munro late last week, after residents’ complaints were received the previous Sunday about a Clinton officer shooting at the range.

The controversial range, also known as the Brandli parcel, is on the Lancaster-Clinton-Sterling line off South Meadow Road, next to the capped town landfill and private sandpits. It was used as a firing range for military, police and sportsmen for more than 80 years until a few years ago, when neighbors in new developments began complaining about noise and safety.

The Clinton Fish and Game Protective Association, which holds a lease on the 12 acres, was served a cease-and-desist order in 2007. But Clinton selectmen agreed last year police could continue to do qualifications there.

“No shooting is allowed there,” Mr. Pacheco said yesterday.

He acknowledged it is difficult to distinguish if shooting is coming from the private sandpits, or if shooters are police officers.

Chief Laverdure said he is particularly miffed because the stop order has caused bad feelings in the two towns after years of cooperation between the Lancaster and Clinton police departments, which has included using the Clinton police lockup for Lancaster prisoners, and assisting Lancaster with police calls.

Just last week, he said, six Clinton officers helped two Lancaster officers at a break-in on South Meadow Road in Lancaster, near the range, in which the alleged robber was still in the house.

“We combed the woods, we identified a suspect — and it’s a dangerous guy, and he’s still out there. We spent 20 hours on that case. I’ll be reluctant to do that again,” Chief Laverdure said.

“This is driving a wedge between the two departments right now,” he said.

Selectman William F. Connolly Jr., a proponent of keeping the range for target shooting and for police use, is a former member of the Fish and Game Association who has battled Lancaster officials about its use, and tried to work out an agreement to satisfy both sides.

Mr. Connolly said although approval for police was made last year before he was elected to the board in May, he was under the impression all involved had no problem with police certification shooting, including residents near the range.

He characterized a meeting last week organized by Selectman Mary Rose Dickhaut, the chairman, with Selectman James J. LeBlanc, an outspoken range opponent; Town Administrator Michael J. Ward and Chief Laverdure, as “illicit and inappropriate.”

Mr. Connolly said the two selectmen asked the chief to order his officers to stop shooting at the range and find somewhere else to do qualifications.

“They (Ms. Dickhaut and Mr. LeBlanc) are attempting to manipulate a department head into doing something the Board of Selectmen does not support,” Mr. Connolly said.

“Little Napoleon (Mr. Pacheco) may think he can tell the Lancaster Board of Selectmen what to do, but he’s not going to tell the Clinton Board of Selectmen what to do,” Mr. Connolly said.

Selectman Kevin R. Haley said the issue will likely be discussed at tonight’s selectmen’s meeting.

Mr. Haley said while an agreement was attempted with Lancaster without a formal vote on police use of the range, it appears it will come to a vote.

“I just don’t want to see us spending thousands of dollars in lawsuits over this,” he said.

Maybe Mr. Lee should ask the state to repeal legislation banning suppressor ownership by civilians in MA :)

http://telegram.com/article/20091007/NEWS/910070374/1116

CLINTON — Another cease-and-desist order has been issued against shooting at the Clinton-owned former firing range in Lancaster, but this time it is directed at the Clinton Police Department, which had been given the OK by town officials to use the range for bi-yearly firearms certifications.
"HA HA!" -Nelson

Absolutely hilarious - maybe they will use this as a teaching experience to understand on which side of the Constitution they stand?

The neighborhood I live in was new in 1994, long before I started shooting. The gun club entrance is about 300 yards from my house.

Within a few years some neighbors were bitching at the gun club. I was asked to sign a petition and declined. My rationale was that they were here first. If I did not like the noise I should have moved elsewhere.

I knew about the gun club when I moved in. Yes, at first it was startling. But it was not long before I hardly noticed it. No big deal.

There are folks that live closer. There are a few houses that are really close. But I happen to know those houses were primarily built and owned by attorneys. Sometimes our friends in the legal profession know how to bust balls and get their way. That is what they do for a living. Create so much pain and havoc it makes the other party go away.

I've been told by members that law enforcement folks were great. They told the neighbors to stay off gun club property or face arrest for trespassing. Neighbors were told the club had every right to be there... thankfully!

The neighborhood I live in was new in 1994, long before I started shooting. The gun club entrance is about 300 yards from my house.

Within a few years some neighbors were bitching at the gun club. I was asked to sign a petition and declined. My rationale was that they were here first. If I did not like the noise I should have moved elsewhere.

I knew about the gun club when I moved in. Yes, at first it was startling. But it was not long before I hardly noticed it. No big deal.

There are folks that live closer. There are a few houses that are really close. But I happen to know those houses were primarily built and owned by attorneys. Sometimes our friends in the legal profession know how to bust balls and get their way. That is what they do for a living. Create so much pain and havoc it makes the other party go away.

I've been told by members that law enforcement folks were great. They told the neighbors to stay off gun club property or face arrest for trespassing. Neighbors were told the club had every right to be there... thankfully!

Are you a member there now? Do you have a golf cart to throw your stuff in and drive down to the range? [laugh]

-Mike

If I were the club I would be very tempted to put up some sort of equipment or other noise source that is exactly as loud as a shooting range, but which does not involve any shooting.

I thought for sure this was going to be about HSC with all the snipers lurking around there.

Tear down the gun range and build a large halfway house for recently paroled sexual predators, and a mental hospital for the criminaly insane. That would make everyone happy.

So....

I can hear the traffic on 495 from my home. Does that mean I can issue a cease and desist and shut down the highway? (^_^)

DO IT!

seriously, try it. The groundwork has been set by the retards who moved in next to a range and were surprised to hear guns.

My brother in law has had to deal with this type of thing with his gravel bank his family owns and has been there forever.[thinking]
They knew it was there when they built their houses and probably got their land cheap too.
If you don't like it move somewhere else.

We don't allow shooting 'til Noon on Sundays and Holidays due to this . . . at either club I belong to. BR&P doesn't allow any shooting until 10AM on Saturday, so now the CMP matches run 'til 3PM on a regular basis when they used to be done by 1:30PM (when we opened the ranges at 9AM).

Personally, I think Sharon F&G and Massapoag Sportsmen's Club has it "right" on this . . . Sundays start is 10AM! The guys are done shooting skeet/trap by 1PM at the latest and have the rest of the day to do whatever.

!0:00 AM for 22's or smaller on the outside ranges, Sundays and holidays. 12:00 for the bigger calibers.
EDTA: For BRP that is.

it happens all the time, rich people move into "quaint" areas and the start complaining about the very things that made them "quaint" to begin with. it happened in my home state of vermont and its happening here in gloucester . rich peeps buy condos near the working commercial fishing waterfront,,,,, then complain about the fishy smell. im with mrswildweasle,,, you dont like the local stuff move the hell away.

I recall Gov. Bill Weld signing a bill to protect gun clubs from stuff like this. Did the weasels at the state house repeal it? If so, every club in the state is doomed.
Attorneys Darius Arbabi or Edward George should have some input on this. Should sue every stinking neighbor and the town of Lancaster.

!0:00 AM for 22's or smaller on the outside ranges, Sundays and holidays. 12:00 for the bigger calibers.
EDTA: For BRP that is.

Although this is what is written in the rule book, IIRC the club management changed the rules for Sunday to appease the neighbors and thus no 22 shooting either until Noon. I seem to remember being told this by the Chief RO at one of our meetings a year or so ago. Check with Joe. Although I almost never go to BR&P on Sunday mornings, I'd like to be proven wrong here.

I recall Gov. Bill Weld signing a bill to protect gun clubs from stuff like this. Did the weasels at the state house repeal it? If so, every club in the state is doomed.
Attorneys Darius Arbabi or Edward George should have some input on this. Should sue every stinking neighbor and the town of Lancaster.

Yes, pre-existing ranges were grandfathered by MGLs. HOWEVER, the very effective means of harassment is usually via the town issuing a cease and desist and/or creating a town by-law to prevent shooting (or limit hours). It's much more effective than people might think. Clubs love to appease and rarely ever gain anything for it, most don't have the $$ to fight these issues in a court of law and doing so takes many years where the club is in limbo (and you lose all those dues-paying members).

There were some folks in Mass. that bought homes next to a farm.When the weather got warm and the smell of animal dung hit the air,the homeowners demanded the farm be shut down.What's next,build next to an airport and demand it be shut down due to planes too close to your home?Any judge who hears cases like these and doesen't throw them out of court should be sent packing.

Something doesn't seem to add up here - neighbors are complaining about the noise, and the club is saying there aren't any houses within 1,500 yards. Fifteen hundred yards is about a mile, and I'm having trouble believing that gunshots can be annoying at that distance, or even heard under most conditions. .

I live right between Nipmuc R&G and Maspenock R&G and I can hear gunfire at both ranges, a few miles away. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I run auto-x up at Ft Devens and there were people complaining about the noise from the cars. They bought land cheap becasue its next to a military airfield, they should be happy they aren't listening to jets all night and day.

There were some folks in Mass. that bought homes next to a farm.When the weather got warm and the smell of animal dung hit the air,the homeowners demanded the farm be shut down.What's next,build next to an airport and demand it be shut down due to planes too close to your home?Any judge who hears cases like these and doesen't throw them out of court should be sent packing.

You've read about the opposition to the Logan expansion project, right? [laugh]

. . . and check out the history of Norwood (Wiggins) Airport. Back ~20 years ago there were active efforts to close it down by the newbies who moved to that area.
No idea if they are still facing active opposition, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

So you heard about Barnes kissing everyones butt, because they built their house next to the airport and the F-15's are louder than the A-10's.[thinking]
I'm sorry you live next to ANY military installation and you have noise. Don't like it move.
I'm sorry it is the sounds of FREEDOM as far as I'm concerned. They fly over our house, yes they are louder, but doesn't bother me in the least.

My neighbors complained when I had two pigs and when we had two weeks of really hot and humid weather, and actually the dairy farm down the road smelled worse than my two pigs, but according to them it wasn't a COUNTRY smell.[thinking]

according to them it wasn't a COUNTRY smell.[thinking]

What the hell is a country smell, I'd take farm smells of the nasty air you breath in the city any day!

There used to be a pig farm down the street from where I grew up, it's no longer there because they built a new development and people complained about the smell. They eventually got the farmer shut down on some obscure EPA thing for run off. Funny thing is that the smell is still there because a mile down the road in the town over is the dump!

What the hell is a country smell, I'd take farm smells of the nasty air you breath in the city any day!

There used to be a pig farm down the street from where I grew up, it's no longer there because they built a new development and people complained about the smell. They eventually got the farmer shut down on some obscure EPA thing for run off. Funny thing is that the smell is still there because a mile down the road in the town over is the dump!

Don't know they are city people that moved out here to the country. Thankfully we are zoned residential/agricultural. I don't mind farm smells at all, then again I have always been a country girl and been around it.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom