Gun Owner Points LC9 at Police

Police arrest man they said pointed gun at officers - Taunton, MA - The Taunton Daily Gazette

This kid is lucky he didn't get himself killed. Sounds like a real nice guy. Mini Brockton at its best...

"TAUNTON —
A city man police said was drunk when he pointed a loaded handgun at them just after midnight on Saturday and now is being held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing.
John Thomas Mello, 23, was arraigned Tuesday in Taunton District Court. He’s charged with carrying a licensed gun while under the influence of alcohol, resisting arrest, two counts of assault by means of a dangerous weapon (a gun and a power cord) and assault and battery.
A dangerousness hearing has been scheduled for Thursday, when Mello could be ordered held without bail for up to 90 days.
Cops say Mello pointed a loaded 9 mm Ruger in the direction of two officers who knocked on the front door of his 3 Highland Terrace apartment. A third officer, who had been standing farther back, rushed up the front steps when it became clear Mello had a gun in his hand, police said.
Police went to Mello’s apartment after his 25-year-old fiancee, and mother of his 18-month-old child, came into police headquarters at 11:36 p.m., police said.
Police said the woman told them she grabbed her baby and fled after a heavily intoxicated Mello began choking her with a power cord from a window fan.
This, she said, was after he punched her in the face when she left the bedroom to sleep on a couch to avoid arguing with him.
The residence was dark, police said, when they knocked on the door of the front porch. They said a dog barked and after a minute or so they heard footsteps before someone unlocked the door. That person, who was identified as Mello, was holding a handgun, police said.
An officer yelled “gun” and ordered Mello to drop the weapon, police said. Another officer on scene, in his report, reported seeing Mello point a silver-and-black gun at a fellow officer.
Patrolman Mark Brady says he drew his gun with his right hand, and grabbed Mello’s gun hand with his left and smacked the Ruger against the doorjamb to get him to drop it. Mello stepped back into the house, still holding the gun, police said.
After being told numerous times to drop his gun, Mello complied, police said. But when he dropped to the ground police said he extended his arms toward the handgun. After a struggle with officers, Mello was handcuffed, and he asked, “What’s the problem?” He said he didn’t know who was knocking on his door.
Police said the 9 mm was fully loaded, with seven rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber. They also confiscated a holster Mello was wearing.
Mello was visibly drunk, police said, and he refused to submit to an alcohol breath test, insisting that he had drunk “about three Natural Lights” prior to the incident.
Police said they retrieved Mello’s license to carry a firearm. They also said they obtained an emergency protective order for his fiancee."

I don't think he'll be getting that back anytime soon. Glad to hear he, the dog and officers survived the ordeal though.

We criticize LEO's often on this forum when they deserve it. In this case, they seem to have been in true danger from a violent drunk, and they handled the situation the right way. Yes, we are all expected to do our jobs the right way and that's all they did, but still, when so many incidents get out of hand, it's nice to at least see one getting handled the right way.

And it seems that there is enough evidence to put a violent drunk against bars for a while - good news all around.

I have been a scout leader with Officer Brady for the last four years. He is a Desert Storm veteran, a patriot, an outstanding father and a model scout leader. I would trust him with my life or family without question. If half of the LEOs out there were like him we would all be better off.

In the case of a DUI in MA, the defendant's refusal to take a breath test cannot be used against him, and the jury must be told there are many reasons a breath test could be unavailable, and they are to draw no inference from its absence.

I wonder if this subject will receive the same protection on his carry under the influence charge.

No good ever came from drinking Natty lights.

I agree, he is lucky to be breathing, and the police did a professional job of taking him down.

Mello stepped back into the house, still holding the gun, police said.
After being told numerous times to drop his gun, Mello complied, police said.
I'd say this is the point where he was very lucky not to get ventilated.

Mello was visibly drunk, police said, and he refused to submit to an alcohol breath test, insisting that he had drunk “about three Natural Lights” prior to the incident.
Well, there's your problem! [laugh2][rofl]

Police said they retrieved Mello’s license to carry a firearm.
OK, got to wonder what his NES handle is? He should have stuck to late night drunk-posting.

I don't think the drinking with a firearm is a deal breaker for losing his Ltc pretty sure pointing the gun at the cop just as equivalently screwed him, the kid when he sobers up should thank the Leo's they took a better approach then just shooting his ass.

Well, I guess he wasn't a member on here. I can just see them now saying that he had an arsenal of like 5 military surplus rifles if he was.

Charles

I was not there and don't know what really happened, but how many on this board talk about showing up armed when there is a late night knock at the door. Guy seems of questionable character if the original complaint is true. I just view everything through a lens that factors in a very highly biased media report (especially in this state) as well as one that will not forget Jose Guerena. I'm not willing to condemn the guy based on any news report.

It was an LC9?

The cops had time to cuff, arrest, arraign, and try him during the trigger pull.

Edit: Damn. ColdDayInHell beat me to it.

They should have shot him for pointing a handgun at an officer. Two things: ONE: the police responding have no reason to take a casualty for some drunk scumbag who beats his wife. I don't know about you, but someone I don't know flags me with their pistol that's the point where I shoot. Two: if they did, it would have been one less scumbag off the streets that me and you would have to deal with. I don't know any "law abiding citizen" gun owner who gets wasted, beats his wife, and then points pistols at police. I am tired of criminal coddlers and police bashers on this forum.

They should have shot him for pointing a handgun at an officer. Two things: ONE: the police responding have no reason to take a casualty for some drunk scumbag who beats his wife. I don't know about you, but someone I don't know flags me with their pistol that's the point where I shoot. Two: if they did, it would have been one less scumbag off the streets that me and you would have to deal with. I don't know any "law abiding citizen" gun owner who gets wasted, beats his wife, and then points pistols at police. I am tired of criminal coddlers and police bashers on this forum.

Wrong. Arrest him for beating his wife, but drunk or not im answering the door in the middle of the night with my pistol, he shouldnt have even opened the door.

I don't think anyone is coddling criminals or bashing cops. I just don't believe everything I read in this anti gun stronghold that has an agenda (MA media). I also believe everyone has the right to answer a late night knock at the door with a firearm in their hand. Did he point it at the officers? I don't know and neither do you. It is his word against 3 cops'. Do you take as much offense when cops point guns at people? It actually worries me more, as I know many times there is no accountability. You say they should have shot him for pointing a gun at them. Do we get to shoot them for pointing guns at us? The recent debacle in Watertown comes to mind. Lots of innocent people had cops pointing guns at them that day. Is that considered assault when a cop does it?

If I bang on someone's door after midnight, I hope they answer the door armed. I would prefer they didn't but would understand if it was even pointed at me. Is there anyone on this board that would answer the door unarmed? How do you think that is going to play out both then and in the media when it turns out to be cops at the door?

If the original complaint from fiance is true, he deserves his due process. If true then I'll agree he is worthless scum for endangering an 18mo old. In the interest of gender equality I will forego judgment on him fighting with the fiance. For all we know, he could be 100lbs wet and she could be the state MMA champion. Again, I believe very little of what is reported and people have agendas, including women who hate their boyfriends.

If it happened as reported, I give the cops credit for remaining cool and not shooting him. I commend them for recognizing the situation and not shooting a drunk guy making poor decisions, they did an outstanding job. Lucky for him it wasn't you responding to his door that night.

I was not there and don't know what really happened, but how many on this board talk about showing up armed when there is a late night knock at the door. Guy seems of questionable character if the original complaint is true. I just view everything through a lens that factors in a very highly biased media report (especially in this state) as well as one that will not forget Jose Guerena. I'm not willing to condemn the guy based on any news report.

This. He lives very close to me. I'm actually surprised I didn't hear any of this going on. If the original complaint is true, then I'm shocked by it, but I'd also be shocked if the fiance would lie about it. The charge of "Carrying a firearm while under the influence of alcohol" seems like a stretch to me since he was within his own house. Does having a few beers negate your right to self defense within your own house?

If the media can't even get that it's a single family residence (and not an apartment) correct, what else are they getting wrong here.

ETA: Reading how it alegedly went down, I'm very glad no shots were fired. Had the police opened fire, it would have been in my general direction with not a whole lot of obstructions in the way for any shots that cleared his house.

Last edited:
Did the arresting officers show compassion and restraint or did they screw up by not shooting this punk? I think a little of both.

In the case of a DUI in MA, the defendant's refusal to take a breath test cannot be used against him, and the jury must be told there are many reasons a breath test could be unavailable, and they are to draw no inference from its absence.

I wonder if this subject will receive the same protection on his carry under the influence charge.

I'm sure they drew his blood at booking, just as they do for a DUI after breathalyzer refusals. Blood draws can be compelled, and there is a process in place to get a warrant/court order 24x7.

We criticize LEO's often on this forum when they deserve it. In this case, they seem to have been in true danger from a violent drunk, and they handled the situation the right way. Yes, we are all expected to do our jobs the right way and that's all they did, but still, when so many incidents get out of hand, it's nice to at least see one getting handled the right way.

And it seems that there is enough evidence to put a violent drunk against bars for a while - good news all around.

Huh? That would have been a good shoot in my mind.

You were kidding, right?

-Trolling via S3.-

This moron is lucky to be alive right now.

I'm sure they drew his blood at booking, just as they do for a DUI after breathalyzer refusals. Blood draws can be compelled, and there is a process in place to get a warrant/court order 24x7.

Um, where did you hear this? In MA, as in most of the country, you need a warrant for a blood draw, which is exceptionally rare. Only a couple states (and Nevada just got their rule overturned) draw blood without permission

Back
Top Bottom