• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun "Buybacks"

We'll have to agree to disagree; I don't think they get any PR mileage out of a table of FUDD junk.
It's not the table, it's the news articles.

"Having a gun buyback" plants the seeds of "guns are bad, getting them away from people is good, buyback makes us safer". It's all designed to condition public thinking.

"Having a gun buyback" plants the seeds of "guns are bad, getting them away from people is good, buyback makes us safer". It's all designed to condition public thinking.

I know what the intent is, I just don't think it's anywhere near as effective as many here do.

I'm in the

see-nobody-cares.gif

camp

For me they remind me a lot of prescription drug drop-offs. Except they actually pay for stuff at the gun versions.

It is true that the media wants you to picture a line of gang bangers handing over uzi's. Reality is a bunch of old men turning over broken muzzle loaders and single action revolvers.

I just don't think it's very significant either way. If it wastes $$ that otherwise is diverted to gun control efforts, that's a plus. If it creates a headline that's a minus. In the realm of stuff gun owners do that pisses me off this one is not worth a mention.

Much of the academic literature confuses voluntary Gun Buybacks with Compensated Confiscation, citing Australia as the prime example. The number of guns recovered in buybacks makes an imperceptible dent in the US gun stock and does not address the right population.

Given that politicians often feel compelled to “do something”, I’d rather encourage them to satisfy their need by sponsoring gun buybacks than anything else - they do little or nothing to impact 2ndA rights and check the box for them.

Gun buybacks are criticized for not affecting those who are most likely to experience violence from firearms. The most common victims to fatal firearm injury are non-Hispanic black males, yet recent studies show that older Caucasian males are more likely to surrender weapons. Others state that buyback guns are dissimilar from crime guns.”

Three of every five participants reported that guns still remained in their homes; additionally, 21% where children could potentially access them and 14% with a history of mental illness/suicide/domestic violence in the home.”

Much of the academic literature confuses voluntary Gun Buybacks with Compensated Confiscation, citing Australia as the prime example. The number of guns recovered in buybacks makes an imperceptible dent in the US gun stock and does not address the right population.
Word.
I bet that never once in US history has the number of privately-owned guns
decreased for a single day because of buybacks.

Given that politicians often feel compelled to “do something”, I’d rather encourage them to satisfy their need by sponsoring gun buybacks than anything else - they do little or nothing to impact 2ndA rights and check the box for them.

Gun buybacks are criticized for not affecting those who are most likely to experience violence from firearms. The most common victims to fatal firearm injury are non-Hispanic black males, yet recent studies show that older Caucasian males are more likely to surrender weapons. Others state that buyback guns are dissimilar from crime guns.”

Three of every five participants reported that guns still remained in their homes; additionally, 21% where children could potentially access them and 14% with a history of mental illness/suicide/domestic violence in the home.”

Word.
I bet that never once in US history has the number of privately-owned guns
decreased for a single day because of buybacks.

A gross understatement.

I believe they say we buy about 20 million guns a year: 50,000 per day. Definitely not in the same ballpark.

You fools guys just don't get it! Are you really that dumb?

OK, so your point must be that while gun "buybacks"
are mere ploys for gun-grabbers,
they do effect a net decrease of the number of privately owned guns.
Glad you had to post that to clear that up.
decrease in what would be in private hands but for the buyback - yup
decrease in total number of guns in private hands factoring in new new acquisitions and builds - doubtful
really a Schrodinger question where the answer is no and yes at the same time.

Last edited:
To anyone thinking of participating in a gun "buyback":

6. They do it for the "money shot" of a police chief or two standing behind a table full of scary looking guns

I'd be tempted to spend the $4.99 for one of these, and turn it in, just to see it in one of those "money shots"!

bang-fake-gun-sound-bang-flag-coming-out-gun-as-joke-109420577.jpg

Frank

really a Schrodinger question where the answer is no and yes at the same time.

You fools guys just don't get it! Are you really that dumb?
Well, I'll always criticize Gun Buybacks, rather than encourage them - no question there, despite my hyperbole. But since those who motivate and execute Gun Buybacks will never cancel them due to our protest, they're gonna happen. They do get some PR from Gun Buybacks, but really only liberal gun-hating politicians and gun control advocates slapping each other on the back. No hearts and minds of others changed. MSNBS, CNN, NPR, WaPo, NYT, LA Times, etc., will never run a story ridiculing Gun Buybacks as ineffective.

MSNBS, CNN, NPR, WaPo, NYT, LA Times, etc., will never run a story ridiculing Gun Buybacks as ineffective.

I think there was a time when that may have mattered but not anymore. They print plenty of garbage that most people just roll their eyes at.

We'll have to agree to disagree; I don't think they get any PR mileage out of a table of FUDD junk.

You have to remember, to non gun people a rusted to hell 10/22 with a bent barrel might as well be a an M16 fully automatic assault rifle.

NES says look at all that junk I have more than that under my bed hurr durr

Everyone else says look at the table full of weapons of war taken off the street so our children can play in the streets agin.

OK, so your point must be that while gun "buybacks"
are mere ploys for gun-grabbers,
they do effect a net decrease of the number of privately owned guns.
Glad you had to post that to clear that up.
See if you can wrap your contrarian mind around this for a moment.

Gun "buybacks" are government run psyops aimed at steering public opinion and thinking patterns.....aka Complete Propaganda.

When the antigun people and government put up enough photos of tables of guns (no matter what type of guns) and couple that with a fraudulent message (aka LIE) to the public that they are doing some type of societal favor for people by "taking guns off the streets", the scared shitless public buys into that crap, lock stock and barrel. (no pun intended).

None of the guns they collect ever come from "the streets", they always come from weak minded, virtue signaling morons who have probably had that gun sitting in a closet, nightstand, or dresser for decades, usually forgotten about until they see some type of coverage on TV or read an article about some incident.
Then shortly thereafter they see an ad for a "buyback".......and their emotions take over, rationality goes out the window and the next thing you know, they're standing in a line with their gun/s to collect usually a pittance of what they are worth.

These people would rather emotionally "Feel Good" and have something to "one up" their friends in a conversation than to actually take charge of their physical security.

Then we have those who are actual active gun owners who think they are getting by with something by turning in some rusty piece of junk gun and buying ammo with the proceeds.
These types of fools don't realize the immeasurable damage they do to the gun community by their actions. When you support those who want to oppress your hobby/livelihood/rights what ever the case may be, you are giving them the rope with which they will eventually hang you.......and all others too.

Last edited:
I have no problem steering clear of gun buybacks. Wouldn't do it no way, no how, not even to "game the system". It's a crying shame that some of those guns get destroyed. So you won't have any problem with me. Now that we have that out of the way, where is the evidence that the propaganda campaign affects the general public? I mean, I accept that it's a propaganda campaign. I know what they are trying to do, but why do we believe that this particular tactic is working for them? Plenty of liberals also went out and bought guns after COVID hit despite all their programming. Furthermore, they tend to get nowhere with their legislative agenda until there's a mass shooting, which is what really seems to move things forward for them. Seems like you could lump gun buybacks with a bunch of other sh*t Democrats do that doesn't work. But it makes them feel good, and they don't learn.

Then we have those who are actual active gun owners who think they are getting by with something by turning in some rusty piece of junk gun and buying ammo with the proceeds.
These types of fools don't realize the immeasurable damage they do to the gun community by their actions. When you support those who want to oppress your hobby/livelihood/rights what ever the case may be, you are giving them the rope with which they will eventually hang you.......and all others too.
Meh, depends on how you look at it. One Illinois gun group a couple of years ago collected up a bunch of rusted junkers, turned them in to a local "buyback" and made a shitload of money they then used to fund their summer junior riflery program. They also made sure everyone knew where the money for the ammo came from. I'm guessing none of their rusty POSs were used in any photo op, they caused the "buyback" to shut down early because they ran out of money, and they got enough publicity that the local anti's got all pissed off, and published pearl-clutching OpEds. I'm guessing that was a win, having been able to fund an otherwise underfunded program to introduce new shooters and doing it on the anti's dime.

In the end, everyone has a right to their opinion on this, and screeds like this don't really accomplish much.

ETA: That first line is "Meh," as in "I don't know if I agree," and not "Meh" the Username.

No sh¡t.
Buybacks also don't even accomplish what they claim.
Of course, Donks regard objective metrics as garlic-scented kryptonite.

Meh, depends on how you look at it. One Illinois gun group a couple of years ago collected up a bunch of rusted junkers, turned them in to a local "buyback" and made a shitload of money they then used to fund their summer junior riflery program. They also made sure everyone knew where the money for the ammo came from. I'm guessing none of their rusty POSs were used in any photo op, they caused the "buyback" to shut down early because they ran out of money, and they got enough publicity that the local anti's got all pissed off, and published pearl-clutching OpEds. I'm guessing that was a win, having been able to fund an otherwise underfunded program to introduce new shooters and doing it on the anti's dime.

In the end, everyone has a right to their opinion on this, and screeds like this don't really accomplish much.

ETA: That first line is "Meh," as in "I don't know if I agree," and not "Meh" the Username.

I think you guys would probably put the gas in the tank of a person who told you that they're going to run you over. [thumbsup]

You have to remember, to non gun people a rusted to hell 10/22 with a bent barrel might as well be a an M16 fully automatic assault rifle.

NES says look at all that junk I have more than that under my bed hurr durr

Everyone else says look at the table full of weapons of war taken off the street so our children can play in the streets agin.
This.

To Sally Soccer Mom, a cut down Marlin Model 60 layered in skateboard tape might as well be an M249.

They also made sure everyone knew where the money for the ammo came from.
"Everyone"? How? In the gun forum and FB group echo chambers? That's not everyone.

Did the local news do a story explaining how the money was spent?

Anybody that participates in one of these for any reason gives the other side exactly what they want.

"Everyone"? How? In the gun forum and FB group echo chambers? That's not everyone.

Anybody that participates in one of these for any reason gives the other side exactly what they want.

That's a pretty hard line to make.

No, I disagree. I'd say probably both sides saw what they wanted and nobody else gave a shit.

If I was going to chastise somebody it'd be the next guy who justifies ownership of AR15's for hog hunting or target shooting - IMO worse if you are going to get your panties in a knot over principles of things that make no difference in reality.

If I was going to chastise somebody it'd be the next guy who justifies ownership of AR15's for hog hunting or target shooting - IMO worse if you are going to get your panties in a knot over principles of things that make no difference in reality.
Pretty much all I do with my ARs is target shoot and hog hunt, and coyotes, and deer.

That's not how I justify them though. I don't think justification is required.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WyZQ8db9zY

Last edited:

Yes, the local news did a big story on it, and the newspapers did OpEds bemoaning the use of public "buyback" funds to fund shooting activities. And I was using the non-pedantic-dick version of the word "everyone." I have no doubt that no one in the Temme tribe of Sierra Leone heard about their efforts to subvert the buyback, and probably very few people in Argentina did, either.

ETA: From the Guns Save Life website:

"I serve as GSL’s executive director. On Saturday morning, I and an undisclosed number of my fellow GSL member patriots turned in 23 guns and three pellet guns. Staff at the event mistook one of the pellet guns for a real gun and issued us a total of 24 $100 debit cards and two $10 cards, for a total of $2,420.

The $2,420 marks our second biggest year behind 2012 when we came home with well over $5000 in our biggest haul ever. That event netted us national publicity and gave Chicago’s political leaders a black eye. In fact, they suspended the whole buyback program for at least two years due to fallout from the 2012 event.

Each year that we successfully transact business with the do-gooders in Chicago, we direct our proceeds towards youth shooting programs, including the nation’s longest-running NRA Youth Shooting Camp at Darnall’s GunWorks and Ranges in Bloomington."

What a bunch of fukcing commies, right?

Last edited:
Yes, the local news did a big story on it, and the newspapers did OpEds bemoaning the use of public "buyback" funds to fund shooting activities. And I was using the non-pedantic-dick version of the word "everyone." I have no doubt that no one in the Temme tribe of Sierra Leone heard about their efforts to subvert the buyback, and probably very few people in Argentina did, either.

ETA: From the Guns Save Life website:

"I serve as GSL’s executive director. On Saturday morning, I and an undisclosed number of my fellow GSL member patriots turned in 23 guns and three pellet guns. Staff at the event mistook one of the pellet guns for a real gun and issued us a total of 24 $100 debit cards and two $10 cards, for a total of $2,420.

The $2,420 marks our second biggest year behind 2012 when we came home with well over $5000 in our biggest haul ever. That event netted us national publicity and gave Chicago’s political leaders a black eye. In fact, they suspended the whole buyback program for at least two years due to fallout from the 2012 event.

Each year that we successfully transact business with the do-gooders in Chicago, we direct our proceeds towards youth shooting programs, including the nation’s longest-running NRA Youth Shooting Camp at Darnall’s GunWorks and Ranges in Bloomington."

What a bunch of fukcing commies, right?

These are the same type of people who would have paid the electric bill to keep Tokyo Rose on the air during WWII.

Some people are just too myopic and will just never learn.

Back
Top Bottom