GUN AND KNIFE SHOW MARLBORO, MA January 28 & 29 2012

If anyone comes back from this show with an SR1911, or a 1911 period, I am going to freak out. [laugh]

A couple of years ago I scored a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 70 for $562 OTD at this show. It needed a bit of TLC and a lot of cleaning, but it was a great find from an excellent dealer.

Deals can be had, but you have to know what you are looking for and what you should pay.

I saw SR1911s at the Manchester show, so I would expect to see them in Marlboro as well.

Good luck.

do you think someone will be selling any preban glock mags at this show?

Sometimes. If you go you'd better get there when the doors open, though, because if I go, I have this annoying tendency to buy almost all the FML-DF ones that don't suck and are selling for under $30. I leave the U-notch crap behind, though, even if they are really cheap. Last time I was there, there was a bunch of G19 FML/DF prebans there for like $20 or $25 a apiece but they were all gone by 11. I only bought 3 because I already have over a dozen of those. [laugh] There are a few vendors that show up with overpriced Glock mags, but frankly I just walk right on by those ones.

-Mike

I always go. I've picked up a few guns over the years, but I mainly search out for parts, mags, and ammo. I always try and buy some stuff from some of the dealers I like but don't see often. Also, other than NES shoots and meet & greets, it is the best way to see/meet other NES shooters. There are a bunch of people I'm hoping to catch up with at the show.

See you there!!

Ok, I've never been a gun show so what do you guys keep an eye out for? I'm going to try to get ammo for my Mosin, look for cheap mags for my M&P 15-22... I am planning an AR build so anything I might be on the lookout for? Any GOOD knife companies set up booths? Deals on flashlights?

I'm undecided wrt going to this show this time. One thing I will say is that my Wife and I will NOT be working the GOAL table at shows again until the TOM/GOAL issue is finally resolved by the GOAL BOD (or not).

s4mt3k - I also never go looking for guns, just for the social aspect and/or looking for accessories/parts/mags/ammo, depending on the need at the time.

Flashlights - look for Liotec, John Buckley is a supporter of this forum and offers us good deals with superb support.

You'll likely find cheaper M&P 15-22 MA-Legal mags online than you will at the gun shows.

There usually are a lot of knife vendors. Some mfr their own product and others resell commercial product. KNOW your prices beforehand.

Thanks ^

Do you know a couple good brands that might be available so that I can look up the prices? Is there a vendor list or site or something?

Thanks ^

Do you know a couple good brands that might be available so that I can look up the prices? Is there a vendor list or site or something?

Brands of what?

Knives - I like Kershaw, Columbia River, and K-Bar but it's all a matter of personal preference and how much you want to spend.

Flashlights - I like Wolf-Eyes, Ultra-Beam and Fenix. Check out Liotec here: http://www.liotec.com/

ETA: There is no public list of vendors for any gun shows that I've ever been to. Only the promoter knows who will be there and where they will be, although there is a large group of "regulars" and some seem to have reserved spots at each show at a particular location.

Sorry my question wasn't clear; what I meant, do you know what brands I might come by at the show that way I can research their product list, pick what I like and check out the prices.

Sounds like I might come by just about all the main brands [thumbsup]

Yes, you will.

Flashlights - you will likely see overpriced Surefire plus some others (can't recall names).

Knives - there are a few vendors with damn near every major brand on display (Spyderco, S&W, etc.).

I'm not repeating brands I previously posted.

Since I don't go looking for these items regularly, this is strictly what I recall seeing.

The "regular" exhibitors generally have the same spots - you'll recognize the "landmarks" after a couple of shows. The other, smaller operations are willy-nilly, and you have to hunt for your prey.

But the chase is part of the fun.

And, unless it's a unique item, make sure you check all the vendors - prices are not fixed, and some are negotiable (MisterHappyJr hunted for, found, and then negotiated on a bayonet for his Arisaka...the first one he ran across was $ 125.....the one he brought home was $60, out the door.)

drgrant,
I'm new to Glocks. What's up with the u-notch mags? Are they trouble, or is it just a personal preference...
Thanks, Matt
the first generation of glock mags have a u shaped notch which was replaced by a square notch the u notch is the only way to be 100% sure it's preban

I'm still trying to decide if I want to show up this year. I haven't missed the January Marlboro show in like 9 years or something but this year is different. I have a project car to restore and I need to save every penny I can.

drgrant,
I'm new to Glocks. What's up with the u-notch mags? Are they trouble, or is it just a personal preference...
Thanks, Matt

They don't drop free and some of the really old ones develop cracks in the mag body because most U-notches are not fully metal lined, or the plastic is just that much weaker or less tolerant of stress. I rarely if ever see damaged square notch mags, but you see busted u-notch mags all the time.

It's more of a personal preference thing than anything else.

-Mike

They don't drop free and some of the really old ones develop cracks in the mag body because most U-notches are not fully metal lined, or the plastic is just that much weaker or less tolerant of stress. I rarely if ever see damaged square notch mags, but you see busted u-notch mags all the time.

It's more of a personal preference thing than anything else.

-Mike

Thanks for that info mike. I happened to notice that recently since I picked up a G21 and it came with a u-notch mag that didn't drop free. I thought it was a problem with the mag but now I know it's a common trait.

Thanks for that info mike. I happened to notice that recently since I picked up a G21 and it came with a u-notch mag that didn't drop free. I thought it was a problem with the mag but now that it's a common trait with the u-notches.

It's also worth noting that there are square notch FML mags that don't drop free either, particularly in the G20/G21 frame size, although one could argue these are probably fixable with some light application of sandpaper.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom