Gun and ammo shortages

Ha, yeah, Putin's buddy did a fair job.

Did he say anything about the bounties on our soldiers' heads?

Did he say anything about the Navalny poisoning?

Did he say anything when Erdogan's bodyguards beat the shit out of Americans on *American* soil?

Remember when we used to hate the Kremlin? Remember when Putin was in the KGB? Remember when we thought Erdogan was a 3rd world bully? Remember when Trump *was* a Democrat? And that he contributed to Kamala Harris' campaign for AG in California?

The President is our representative. He is *our* employee and servant, not the other way 'round. And his time is done. The only *sad* part is that because of him, we won't get a good Republican for awhile. Now we have 4 more years of shit to deal with, regardless of who wins.

Damn, a honest to goodness case of TDS lol

Sounds like you are having a brain aneurism.

Calm down.

All politicians suck, the sooner you realize this the better off you will be.

Interesting, good find, but They have to say that, they’re publicly traded and that is aimed at investors and boosting the stock price now that there is a positive business environment for them. Looks like they have not achieved profitability yet. I was thinking more about an announcement aimed at customers. In any event, more competition and industry capacity is nice to see. [banana]

Maybe all the guns shops that are selling 9mm for $1 and 5.56 for $1.25 a round should be burned down.

Just because they are flippers.

The fact that anyone thinks, given the Supreme Court nomination and the 200+ judges Trump has installed, that we automatically become 'Marxists' within 4 years if Trump doesn't win is nonsensical.

In 4 years, Trump hasn't managed to kill ACA. With the Senate behind him!

But somehow, Biden would be effective at turning this country to Marxism. Sure.

I mean, is he Sleepy Joe, or one of the damned X-Men? You give the Left *far* too much credit.

Also, I never said I voted Left. But I have principles, and I won't be voting for the pussy-grabbing tax evaders, thanks.
That’s what I told my high school guidance counselor I aspired to...he didn’t find it funny..
I think we're somewhat protected in the NE. Not being "gun country" has kept some ammo/guns on the shelves. But it'll get worse soon...
The weekender hunters are going to hit the range/woods soon. FWIW, was at the range after work, had the place to myself..

Went to Gartman today, was driving by & figured I’d stop in and check things out, see what they had. The gun cases were pretty empty, they had a couple Springfield XDS’ and two 911s. Couple miscellaneous revolvers. Some expensive ammo. Guy said what they had out was all they had. Actually thought about buying an XDS just because they’re not expensive & it’d be easy to turn around (was really looking mostly for all the people who keep asking me what gun to get and where to get it). But figured I’d leave them for people who actually decide to go to the LGS, I’m sure they’ll be gone very soon. Guy said what they had on display was all they had.

Maybe I’m missing something but is verifying an LTC required to enter a LGS these days?

Maybe I’m missing something but is verifying an LTC required to enter a LGS these days?

They were doing that the last time I stopped in back in July. They were limiting the number of people in the store, so at the time I figured it was just to save room for customers who were actually licensed to buy something.

They were doing that the last time I stopped in back in July. They were limiting the number of people in the store, so at the time I figured it was just to save room for customers who were actually licensed to buy something.

There was one person in the store when I was there and they were being dicks about it, which is no surprise.

Maybe all the guns shops that are selling 9mm for $1 and 5.56 for $1.25 a round should be burned down.

Flippers are annoying, but they are part of a free market, and ironically, at times, almost necessary. Arguably you end up having more product available because the
shitty prices deter impulse based buying habits, and ironically, over time, end up helping reduce the demand somewhat, as people end up abandoning the market or
end up buying less ammo than they wanted to, etc. Then they will ignore the product for awhile and give the market a chance to recover. And maybe in the process
some people will see shit prices and actually start to do some real market research, map some trends, etc, maybe explore the root of the problem rather than just armflapping
every time there is no ammo around.

The shops that are going that retarded? Thats a retail dilemma, although the first thing they will likely tell anyone who bitches about the price "Well, I had a choice, I had to pay too much for it, and in order for me to make anything off it, I have to sell it for ShittyPrice X. The alternative is there would just be no ammo on the shelf". Some of that may or may not be the truth, but its a pretty reasonable answer. I have seen messaging from some dealers who basically said things like "I could have gotten more ammo, but we're going bare now because if I got more ammo, at the price that it was offered to me, I would have had to sell it at 80cpr and frankly I dont want to be a part of having to treat customers that poorly" so theres a delicate balancing act in the
whole thing. Is it better to have bare shelves, or an "eff you" price on ammo. At least the "f*** you" store probably still has ammo on the shelf, if someone needs it that bad.

Well, they pay X price is most likely aren't even profiting and just supplying customers to continue their shopping. Can't hold that against them.
All 4 of the shops I go to have a 1 box limit and it's $30.00/50rds for pretty shitty 9mm range ammo....can't wait till prices are "normal" again. Just got into shooting this year and it came to an abrupt stop. I seriously wish I had stockpiled ammo when it was .20-26 a round a few months ago.......I'm done blowing $100-200 down the pipe shooting shit ammo at paper

Flippers are annoying, but they are part of a free market, ...
The flip side of the "hurricane track plywood profiteering lumber stores" trope,
is that if the government truly succeeds in mandating artificially low pricing,
suppliers won't offer the product.
Price-Ceiling.png

A fair number of the graphics found by my image search
refer to rent control...

Well, they pay X price is most likely aren't even profiting and just supplying customers to continue their shopping. Can't hold that against them.

There is always profit there, otherwise nobody would bother selling stuff. The thing is, everyone forgets....

-This is a cyclical business, people have to "make hay while the sun shines" because when it's not, there's not much revenue coming in. (although at this rate itll probably be a year or two before we see anything resembling a trough). The thing is though, the Trump trough actually killed a bunch of gun shops, although arguably most of the ones it smoked weren't much to write home
about... and most of those got replaced by new guys, doing and selling different stuff.

-With the shortages in play, you can't rationalize selling at a lower or even teaser price by saying "well, I'm going to sell my 9mm at a dollar over cost per box, I got tons of it and I can make up the loss in profit vs volume". That "idea" isn't working right now. So there is a desire to try to make up the lost revenue based on volume with higher revenue per box sold, because you don't have a seemingly limitless supply of boxes of ammo to sell.

Last edited:
Flippers are annoying, but they are part of a free market, and ironically, at times, almost necessary. Arguably you end up having more product available because the
shitty prices deter impulse based buying habits, and ironically, over time, end up helping reduce the demand somewhat, as people end up abandoning the market or
end up buying less ammo than they wanted to, etc. Then they will ignore the product for awhile and give the market a chance to recover. And maybe in the process
some people will see shit prices and actually start to do some real market research, map some trends, etc, maybe explore the root of the problem rather than just armflapping
every time there is no ammo around.

The shops that are going that retarded? Thats a retail dilemma, although the first thing they will likely tell anyone who bitches about the price "Well, I had a choice, I had to pay too much for it, and in order for me to make anything off it, I have to sell it for ShittyPrice X. The alternative is there would just be no ammo on the shelf". Some of that may or may not be the truth, but its a pretty reasonable answer. I have seen messaging from some dealers who basically said things like "I could have gotten more ammo, but we're going bare now because if I got more ammo, at the price that it was offered to me, I would have had to sell it at 80cpr and frankly I dont want to be a part of having to treat customers that poorly" so theres a delicate balancing act in the
whole thing. Is it better to have bare shelves, or an "eff you" price on ammo. At least the "f*** you" store probably still has ammo on the shelf, if someone needs it that bad.
What is a "flipper"?

I bought ammo 2 years ago that I want to sell now.

Does that make me a flipper?

I'm not selling ammo that I bought from a generous NES'er who sold it to me last week at a low to be nice.

The store with empty shelves is not doing anybody a favor.

What are they going to do when guns get too expensive - have no guns, either.

Guns and ammo are a commodity.

When silver and gold was high the coin dealers still had inventory.

If not people will go to store that did have some and buy from them.

I don't see what is wrong with naming your price.

If people don't like it they can go without.

It's not like folks are gauging food or water.

We all can live without guns and ammo.

That's like saying diamond merchants are gauging on diamonds.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a diamond.

The flip side of the "hurricane track plywood profiteering lumber stores" trope,
is that if the government truly succeeds in mandating artificially low pricing,
suppliers won't offer the product.

Yes, exactly.

A fun example is during the Obamascares Walmarts were consistently lower than some LGSes. Some of this was because Walmart never really changed their pricing formulas,
etc on the fly. They just made "X percent over cost" Now, the happy fun ball part about Walmart being the cheapest during an ammo crisis... is.... that all the walmarts would get
completely BLOWN OUT of stocks... so even though the price was better, good luck actually buying any. Myself and a few other guys here practically had an intel network on staking out
walmarts to see when stock would come in. We shared reports out of the public eye to

A fun example is during the Obamascares Walmarts were consistently lower than some LGSes. Some of this was because Walmart never really changed their pricing formulas,
etc on the fly. They just made "X percent over cost" Now, the happy fun ball part about Walmart being the cheapest during an ammo crisis... is.... that all the walmarts would get
completely BLOWN OUT of stocks... so even though the price was better, good luck actually buying any. Myself and a few other guys here practically had an intel network on staking out
walmarts to see when stock would come in. We shared reports out of the public eye to
I remember some way to hack their web site to reveal the hidden ammo inventory figures.

Although most people thought the guys on the loading dock were buying most of the stuff
(at employee discount prices), and then flipping it to the LGS's.
A tale reinforced by ammo boxes with incompletely removed Walmart price stickers...

What is a "flipper"?

Yes it does, but it's a free market and you're free to do so. You're free to put an insane, shitty price on something too, if you want. Nobody has to buy
it. If some nipplehead does, more power to you. Flipping isn't a new thing, it's been going on forever, although it got far more common during the first
Obamascare, and the advent of all those house flipper shows and all that BS. I laugh when I warn people that drag ass at the beginning of these things "You better
buy it now, because the flippers are going to consume all the cheap stuff" and then, like "magic", it happens. Then the same people I warned,
start crying to me about the lack of availability, or the prices being retarded. [laugh]

I never got the appeal, though. Especially when someone isn't sitting on a garage full of the stuff. Without getting into graphic detail, if I flipped what little I have (compared
to some people here) I could make a few grand, but whoopty do. It's not like I'm going to be able to flip my ammo supply and buy a new Corvette with it or something.

I remember some way to hack their web site to reveal the hidden ammo inventory figures.

Although most people thought the guys on the loading dock were buying most of the stuff
(at employee discount prices), and then flipping it to the LGS's.
A tale reinforced by ammo boxes with incompletely removed Walmart price stickers...

Well, there were some of those hacks, but the best way was having HUMINT. We had a network of like 3-4 guys poking around into different
tramlaws and providing spot reports, etc. So when something appeared, someone would get something, pass the baton and then someone else would
clean up the remains, etc. You had to have intel that was less than 4-6 hours old because otherwise, it would be gone. I remember on more than one
occasion showing up at the SG counter about an hour after an intel report, and 5 minutes ahead of some random browsing troglodytes that latched onto the
presence of the ammo counter a little too late, only for them to discover I would leave like one val pack for them after me and two other guys went full cosby
on that store over the course of 4 hours.

The shops selling walmart stuff? Yeah, that happened too, but that wasnt the core reason most of the ammo
went fast. One of the keys was, at THAT level, trying to figure out when some of the ammo would get
deployed from a shipment. And yeah, I would bet some walmart types got a vig for tipping off people,
etc. Even then though, the purch limits were still in place. But a guy doing that 2-4 times a week... can still build up a pile.

Well, there were some of those hacks, but the best way was having HUMINT. We had a network of like 3-4 guys poking around into different
tramlaws and providing spot reports, etc. So when something appeared, someone would get something, pass the baton and then someone else would
clean up the remains, etc. You had to have intel that was less than 4-6 hours old because otherwise, it would be gone. I remember on more than one
occasion showing up at the SG counter about an hour after an intel report, and 5 minutes ahead of some random browsing troglodytes that latched onto the
presence of the ammo counter a little too late, only for them to discover I would leave like one val pack for them after me and two other guys went full cosby
on that store over the course of 4 hours.

The shops selling walmart stuff? Yeah, that happened too, but that wasnt the core reason most of the ammo
went fast. One of the keys was, at THAT level, trying to figure out when some of the ammo would get
deployed from a shipment. And yeah, I would bet some walmart types got a vig for tipping off people,
etc. Even then though, the purch limits were still in place. But a guy doing that 2-4 times a week... can still build up a pile.
Brickseek.

What is a "flipper"?

I'm not selling ammo that I bought from a generous NES'er who sold it to me last week at a low to be nice.

The store with empty shelves is not doing anybody a favor.

What are they going to do when guns get too expensive - have no guns, either.

Guns and ammo are a commodity.

When silver and gold was high the coin dealers still had inventory.

If not people will go to store that did have some and buy from them.

I don't see what is wrong with naming your price.

If people don't like it they can go without.

It's not like folks are gauging food or water.

We all can live without guns and ammo.

That's like saying diamond merchants are gauging on diamonds.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a diamond.
Stossel had students submit videos regarding their thoughts on capitalism and 'disasters' or 'shortages' and pricing. marxists hate hearing Milton Friedman say,"the gougers deserve medals"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fka5A3hM3A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrKI5DeruCo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqMFBdWkfo0

This seems an American capitalism 101 conversation. We know what marxists would edict.

Isn't the fundamental question likely situational and a personal/moral one? However, when anyone wishes to enforce their views/thoughts to force action/inaction on others, isn't that person soliciting the tyrannical violence of government on their neighbor ?

Last edited:
If you want something bad enough you'll pay whatever price.

Most gun businesses make their money on volume. They keep their margins in check so they can turn over inventory. If their guns or ammo are too expensive there's plenty of competition in this area who will have lower prices and higher volumes.

No doubt in my mind everyone in the gun/ammo supply chain is making more margin right now. I imagine, however, it is at lower volumes. Quid pro quo, Clarice, quid pro quo.

It's supply and demand. When things are in short supply sellers have the upper hand. When things are plentiful buyers have the upper hand.

The pendulum has swung to a more extreme position at this moment. Having lived through a few periods of shortages and hoarding, I expect this will take 1-2 years to resolve. Unless Biden wins and tries to screw gun owners, in which case we'll see this nonsense for the foreseeable future.

It's the nature of the beast. Just like recessions typically come along every 5 or 10 years, shortages come along too. For those who live through this learn from it. If you have extra cash flow when prices return to normal create an emergency stash. it won't go bad. And it keeps you from hitting the "refresh" button on your browser all day to see if you can catch TargetSportsUSA's latest ammo inventory supply at exorbitant prices.

Yeah, this sucks. But is predictable.

Rich

Went to Gartman today, was driving by & figured I’d stop in and check things out, see what they had. The gun cases were pretty empty, they had a couple Springfield XDS’ and two 911s. Couple miscellaneous revolvers. Some expensive ammo. Guy said what they had out was all they had. Actually thought about buying an XDS just because they’re not expensive & it’d be easy to turn around (was really looking mostly for all the people who keep asking me what gun to get and where to get it). But figured I’d leave them for people who actually decide to go to the LGS, I’m sure they’ll be gone very soon. Guy said what they had on display was all they had.

No, but I bet if they're doing that shit it's because of the flood of nippleheads in March. Gun shops were flooded with people who couldn't legally buy guns. Not saying its right, either, but I can understand why.

Back
Top Bottom