Gun and ammo shortages

Embarrassed to say I have Jennings .22 also... can’t for the life of me think why... but once you have it you’re sort of stuck with it...

I thought people bought those to use as "throwdowns".

I doubt it, every market has its breaking point. Prices might hit $1/round for 5.56, but you smoking crack if you think people are going to buy much at that price point.

If Eric Garner were selling "loosie" 5.56 rounds for a buck a piece, instead of cigarettes, he may still be alive today.

what I don't understand - are the manufacturers selling it at crazy prices or is it all middle gouge markups?

what I don't understand - are the manufacturers selling it at crazy prices or is it all middle gouge markups?

Both. Federal is selling 9mm@$20 direct from their website (OOS), plus shipping. Everyone else in the supply chain needs to eat too.
But its supply and demand. If you sold something that was suddenly in such yuuuuge demand that you were OOS on a daily, you'd raise prices too. Also, your shareholders would demand it.

I doubt it, every market has its breaking point. Prices might hit $1/round for 5.56, but you smoking crack if you think people are going to buy much at that price point.

Wasn't green tip going for ~$2 a round when it looked like the ATF might ban it as armor piercing? And it was flying out the door.

Wasn't green tip going for ~$2 a round when it looked like the ATF might ban it as armor piercing? And it was flying out the door.
Which attempt was that? May have been before my time (as a shooter) in the 90s. I seem to recall what you're talking about, though. And that would not surprise me.

Both. Federal is selling 9mm@$20 direct from their website (OOS), plus shipping. Everyone else in the supply chain needs to eat too.
But its supply and demand. If you sold something that was suddenly in such yuuuuge demand that you were OOS on a daily, you'd raise prices too. Also, your shareholders would demand it.

that is full retail. When they sell to dealers and or distributors the prices are lower and then distributor gets a piece of the profit and then dealer marks it up to$30 a box of 50

I feel sorry for the 20 year old just getting into the game.

Anyone who has been around this situation since 1994 AW ban, LA riots, Newtown, Las Vegas, not so much. To them I say: Told you so, nananananaa

Which attempt was that? May have been before my time (as a shooter) in the 90s. I seem to recall what you're talking about, though. And that would not surprise me.

About 6 years ago.

Judicial Watch filed the lawsuit after the agency failed to respond to a March 9, 2015, FOIA request seeking information on the ammo-ban effort:

• All records of communications, including emails, to or from employees or officials of the ATF related to the decision to revise the ATF 2014 Regulation Guide to no longer exempt 5.56 mm. SS109 and M855 (i.e., “green tip” AR-15) ammunition from the definition of “armor-piercing” ammunition.

that is full retail. When they sell to dealers and or distributors the prices are lower and then distributor gets a piece of the profit and then dealer marks it up to$30 a box of 50

Yep, I dont recall but the "full retail" or MSRP on Fed 9mm probably wasn't $20/box in Jan 2020. I don't think the nubbiest of the nubs was paying that at the start of the year-that price didn't exist for FMJ as far as I'm concerned.

I am guessing that if end users are paying $30/box NOW, gun stores must be buying it from distributors at a higher price than when end users were paying $10/box.

Yep, I dont recall but the "full retail" or MSRP on Fed 9mm probably wasn't $20/box in Jan 2020. I don't think the nubbiest of the nubs was paying that at the start of the year-that price didn't exist for FMJ as far as I'm concerned.

I am guessing that if end users are paying $30/box NOW, gun stores must be buying it from distributors at a higher price than when end users were paying $10/box.
The last time I bought blazer brass from Target Sports it was $ 8.75 per box - 8% for case lots.

Yeah, I liked that ZQ1. Had nice time with it.

Good to see you Pig gunner!
~Enbloc

I grabbed a few thousand rounds of that ZQ1. They were stocking the shelf when I happened in, so I took all they had and the kid went out back and got me the rest that he had on hand.
Wait a minute... Who was President...?

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom