Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...husetts-town?p=2116204&viewfull=1#post2116204
Update on Merrimac MA: My wife and I went to the PD to apply for our licenses today and the licensing officer informed us that currently they are only issuing LTC-B licenses, following the previous chief's policy. However, come the first of the year the new chief's policy will take effect and they will be issuing LTC-A licenses. He suggested we wait, so we shook hands and said "see you next year" LOL. Needless to say we're anxiously awaiting 2012 as it appears Merrimac is going from Red to Green!

I think we are still awaiting feedback

Yes i did see that but the last post was 01 2011 so didnt know if it has been updated since thank you for your response

I believe the list and map are updated based on survey responses, so it may appear that there's been no activity, but it should be as current as possible. This is why people are urged to fill out the surveys when they get their LTC to keep the information up-to-date.

Unfortunately at the end, it comes down to applying and hoping for the best.

Good luck!!!

Hello,
I'm applying for my LTC-A within the next few days in Foxboro. While completing my Firearms Safety course, I came across a guy who had previously worked for the town of Foxboro and was there renewing his LTC-B. He told me he originally applied for his LTC-A but the Police Chief "didn't like to issue concealed to carry permits (LTC-A)" so they issued him a LTC-B. Like me, he was mainly interested in target practicing at the local club and for home protection so he didn't really care that they only issued him a LTC-B. I'm going to apply for the LTC-A but don't expect to be approved for anything more than the LTC-B.

Question: I seem to be finding some conflicting information on the internet in terms of which arms you can purchase for the LTC-A vs LTC-B. Is there a difference (for example 10 rds are less clips, round size, etc) in terms of which arms you can own between the two? There's a lot of gray areas and legal stuff that seem to be changing out there, but I was under the impression that you could (as of Feb 2012) own the same arms...but it was just a difference where you could or could not bring it. Just double checking before I apply. Thx.

Last edited:
Question: I seem to be finding some conflicting information on the internet in terms of which arms you can purchase for the LTC-A vs LTC-B. Is there a difference (for example 10 rds are less clips, round size, etc) in terms of which arms you can own between the two?
Yes, there are.

There's a lot of gray areas and legal stuff that seem to be changing out there, but I was under the impression that you could (as of Feb 2012) own the same arms...but it was just a difference where you could or could not bring it.
No, absolutely not.

With an LTC-A, you can purchase and possess large and non-large capacity handguns in MA and pre-ban, large capacity magazines (greater than 10 round capacity).

With an LTC-B, you can only purchase and possess non-large capacity handguns and non-large capacity magazines.

There is gray area about what is a large capacity handgun and what is non-large. But here are some examples:

Glock 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 34, 35 - large capacity, requires an LTC-A
1911 - non-large capacity, requires an LTC-A or LTC-B
Kahr PM9 - non-large capacity, requires an LTC-A or LTC-B

The bottom line is that an LTC-B is horrible and greatly limits what handguns you can own. A restricted LTC-A is far, far better than an LTC-B.

You should check out the MA law section here to get more info and ask your questions there, rather than derail this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/81-Massachusetts-Laws

Yes, there are.

No, absolutely not.

With an LTC-A, you can purchase and possess large and non-large capacity handguns in MA and pre-ban, large capacity magazines (greater than 10 round capacity).

With an LTC-B, you can only purchase and possess non-large capacity handguns and non-large capacity magazines.

There is gray area about what is a large capacity handgun and what is non-large. But here are some examples:

Glock 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 34, 35 - large capacity, requires an LTC-A
1911 - non-large capacity, requires an LTC-A or LTC-B
Kahr PM9 - non-large capacity, requires an LTC-A or LTC-B

The bottom line is that an LTC-B is horrible and greatly limits what handguns you can own. A restricted LTC-A is far, far better than an LTC-B.

You should check out the MA law section here to get more info and ask your questions there, rather than derail this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/81-Massachusetts-Laws

Perfect. Thanks for the clarification.

Additional clarification... you can have large capacity rifles on a LTC-B.

ETA: I -think- LTC-B you can possess large capacity pre-ban rifle magazines, but I'm trying to find the reference.

Last edited:
Additional clarification... you can have large capacity rifles on a LTC-B.

ETA: I -think- LTC-B you can possess large capacity pre-ban rifle magazines, but I'm trying to find the reference.

Thanks. Yes, according to Foxboro police website it does say large capacity rifles and shotguns: Class B
"The Class B LTC permits the purchase, possession and carrying of non-large capacity handguns and large-capacity rifles and shotguns."

http://www.foxboroughpolice.com/police_gun_reg.htm

Also, verified on Mass.gov website:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_gun_laws.htm

Last edited:
I know this thread is mostly for LTC-A/B's but it's been 3 weeks since paperwork/fingerprints for my FID... hopefully my application/information hasn't been lost.

I just hope I get the call to pick it up soon [thinking]

I'll keep ya'll posted[wink]

~Kyle

Update for Winchendon: After a little digging on NES, I placed a call to the PD to ask about having restrictions removed from my LTC. There is now a choice for licensing in the automated menu which directed me to a nice woman named Marla. I asked her about having the restrictions removed and her response was. "Sure, no problem I can go into the system and take care of that. I'll call you when it comes in. It may be a few weeks though." Well to my surprise, I got a call that my LTC-A NR was in 8 DAYS LATER! I'm a happy man!

Update for Winchendon: After a little digging on NES, I placed a call to the PD to ask about having restrictions removed from my LTC. There is now a choice for licensing in the automated menu which directed me to a nice woman named Marla. I asked her about having the restrictions removed and her response was. "Sure, no problem I can go into the system and take care of that. I'll call you when it comes in. It may be a few weeks though." Well to my surprise, I got a call that my LTC-A NR was in 8 DAYS LATER! I'm a happy man!

Awesome! Maybe well have to change Winchendon to green.

I don't know if this was already said but Scituate is a red town just went in a few days ago to apply for LTC-class A ALP and the SGT told me the only issue LTC-A for hunting and target.

Wow, they changed them right over the phone?? Wow! Congrats! I am hoping 1 day to get my restrictions removed. [rolleyes]

Just wanted to update everyone on Groveland, MA

Just got printed etc on Valentines day, and The Sargent who handled it said i get a restricted Class A LTC(sporting) for the first year. It is only restricted for the first year per the chief. After the year i can go down and visit or call and they will lift the restriction and allowed Concealed Carry.

I can understand why, they don't want a bunch of people who took a 4 hour glass all of sudden running around with firearms.

Hopefully someday these ridiculous restrictions get lifted in this state. Every time I look at my LTC it pisses me off. Even when I travel to Michigan to visit my best friend, they do honor my MA permit, but because of the restrictions, even in Michigan same laws apply there as they do here, so I can't carry. It friggen sucks. Hopefully yours get lifted after your 1st year.

Just got printed etc on Valentines day, and The Sargent who handled it said i get a restricted Class A LTC(sporting) for the first year. It is only restricted for the first year per the chief. After the year i can go down and visit or call and they will lift the restriction and allowed Concealed Carry.

I can understand why, they don't want a bunch of people who took a 4 hour glass all of sudden running around with firearms.

I assume it was Sgt. McDonald that handled all your paperwork. He's a great guy. I've known him since I had "D.A.R.E."

Thanks for the info though; I'll tell my dad this because I am still trying to get him to get his license.

This is an idea we need to change in this state. Anybody who wants to "run around" with firearms badly enough will do so regardless of what the law says.

I can understand why, they don't want a bunch of people who took a 4 hour [SIC] glass all of sudden running around with firearms.

Dude ... really ? [rolleyes]

Hopefully someday these ridiculous restrictions get lifted in this state. Every time I look at my LTC it pisses me off. Even when I travel to Michigan to visit my best friend, they do honor my MA permit, but because of the restrictions, even in Michigan same laws apply there as they do here, so I can't carry. It friggen sucks. Hopefully yours get lifted after your 1st year.

I did a search for Michigan laws and was not able to confirm the bolded portion above. Could you provide more information about where you found that?

I did a search for Michigan laws and was not able to confirm the bolded portion above. Could you provide more information about where you found that?
From Comm2A:
Michigan's concealed pistol law (MCL 28.432a) expressly recognizes resident permits issued by other states. Michigan does not honor permits held by persons who are not residents of the issuing state.
From MCL 28.432a
(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.
The issue of a restricted Massachusetts LTC's validity for carry in these states is not specifically addressed by statute, so it it difficult to determine in what states such a restricted license would authorize concealed carry.
If you're carrying out-of-state on your MA LTC (or any other license) make sure you know all the local laws regarding sensitive places, notifying a police officer during a traffic stop, etc.

Thank you Knuckle Dragger for posting.

Yes I did call there first to verify there laws, and the 1st question they asked was, "Do you have a restricted license? Because if so, the same laws apply here as in Massachusetts regarding those restrictions."

So the short of it, I can't carry. The only place I carry is on my best friends 12 acre ranch and his personal shooting range. Otherwise same as here, and I'm not allowed to carry I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom