Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend just got his LTC A with no restrictions in Arlington, took about six weeks. Another is applying in Lexington presently and they are requiring multiple letters of reference.

I received my LTC - A from Lexington. While they do require the letters, they were very professional and did not delay things unnecessarily. If your friends paperwork and background checks out he should be fine.

A... Another is applying in Lexington presently and they are requiring multiple letters of reference.

So, if one lives in Lexington, the ability to exercise an activity to which one has a fundamental right is contingent upon the willingness of someone acceptable to to the police to write a letter stating that the applicant is a "proper person with a suitable purpose to possess such a license" to exercise that right?

Wow, the irony is sending me back to the liquor cabinet.

Last edited:
I received my LTC - A from Lexington. While they do require the letters, they were very professional and did not delay things unnecessarily. If your friends paperwork and background checks out he should be fine.

Restricted or unrestricted?

So, if one lives in Lexington, the ability to exercise an activity to which one has a fundamental right is contingent upon the willingness of someone acceptable to to the police to write a letter stating that the applicant is a "proper person with a suitable purpose to possess such a license" to exercise that right?

Wow, the iron is sending me back to the liquor cabinet.

You would think that after almost 3 years on the board you wouldn't be surprised by this anymore... I agree it's ridiculous and shouldn't happen. And we should do all we can to fight it. But until things change you have 3 choices: carry illegally, don't carry, or jump through hoops and get an LTCA Unrestricted. Seems like an easy enough choice in the meantime while trying to make strides in the right direction. Or move, I suppose. Welcome to Massachusetts, at least enjoy the foliage.

You would think that after almost 3 years on the board you wouldn't be surprised by this anymore... I agree it's ridiculous and shouldn't happen. And we should do all we can to fight it. But until things change you have 3 choices: carry illegally, don't carry, or jump through hoops and get an LTCA Unrestricted. Seems like an easy enough choice in the meantime while trying to make strides in the right direction. Or move, I suppose. Welcome to Massachusetts, at least enjoy the foliage.

You forgot the best choice, number 4; which is to change the laws.

oh trust me, I'm not even remotely surprised. It'll change. It's only a matter of time and non-sense like doctor's notes and letters of reference will be a thing of the past.

oh trust me, I'm not even remotely surprised. It'll change. It's only a matter of time and non-sense like doctor's notes and letters of reference will be a thing of the past.

I love the enthusiasm! Much better than the incessant "move to NH" defeatist attitude that gets tossed around here.

My wife and I both just received our Class A LTCs with no restrictions from Tyngsboro. Tyngsboro is most definitely still green!

halifax is green i moved here a year ago from weymouth where officer king would only issue me a hunting and target restricted class a so i did all the legal letters of notifications to the state and towns i moved in/out of and i reapplied in halifax they looked everything over said i was allset and began to issue my full unrestricted licence but then had to call officer king and have him void my old ltc which he refused to do so now i have to wait for my licence to expire before i can reapply is that even legal for him to do

halifax is green i moved here a year ago from weymouth where officer king would only issue me a hunting and target restricted class a so i did all the legal letters of notifications to the state and towns i moved in/out of and i reapplied in halifax they looked everything over said i was allset and began to issue my full unrestricted licence but then had to call officer king and have him void my old ltc which he refused to do so now i have to wait for my licence to expire before i can reapply is that even legal for him to do

Yes it is legal for him to do, unfortunately.

Holbrook is still GREEN

I applied on December 7th and on December 31st, I got a New Year's Eve Surprise dropped off at my front door by the Holbrook Police- Class A- No Restrictions. Total Turnaround time= 3 weeks, 3 days [grin]

Yes it's legal. Upside is you CAN fight it. I got an attorney involved who won my case even though there were no legal grounds in my favor. However, the Chief eventually gave in simply so we'd stop bothering him. You may also want to try contacting Chief Ronald Glidden of Lee, MA. He does much of the firearms laws training to Mass PD's. He may be able to offer you advice or possibly offer to put a phone call into the Chief at your local PD and set him straight. It's worth a shot

There is plenty of legal ground in your favor. Your attorney either didn't realize it or chose not to use it.

There's no law on the books that says a Chief cannot refuse to void a license, which made taking things from a legal angle hard. We had to approach it from more of a moral issue than anything else. And I used Jesse Cohen's services. I did not mention the name in my previous post since he is no longer a member here, but I think we can all agree he is a great firearms attorney and knew what he was doing (and if anything maybe I perhaps did not fully understand how he was taking care of the matter). All I know is it was money well spent and he did a great job in getting the results I wanted.

After what seemed like forever i finally got it

Town:Stoughton
Wait period: 10 weeks
Restrictions: None

:) can't wait to head over to Four Seasons tomorrow

I heard from a resident in Merrimac, MA that the licensing officer is not issuing any LTC Class A without restrictions for first time holder.
I believe he ended up getting a LTC-B with sporting restriction.
Figured we may want to update the list to show its not a green as it shows.

I heard from a resident in Merrimac, MA that the licensing officer is not issuing any LTC Class A without restrictions for first time holder.

There is no grounds to attach a restrictions to LTC-B legally or otherwise as the LTC-B does not allow you to carry concealed at all.

They have been green in the past. I hope this isn't going to be SOP for them.

Merrimac

I just applied for an LTC yesterday in Merrimac. Apparently as of last year the chief will no longer issue Class A's unless you are in law enforcement or can prove you carry lots of cash (aka a jeweler or something). So I got stuck with a Class B.

So I think it's safe to say Merrimac is no longer a green town.

I just applied for an LTC yesterday in Merrimac. Apparently as of last year the chief will no longer issue Class A's unless you are in law enforcement or can prove you carry lots of cash (aka a jeweler or something). So I got stuck with a Class B.

Ahh so your life isn't as valuable as a LEO's. Good to know.

Well I guess that is that, [angry]

ETA; I wonder how they are going to be handling renewals.

Last edited:
Ahh so your life isn't as valuable as a LEO's. Good to know.

Yeah, I'll have to "give up my first born and one of my legs" to get a Class A according to the officer.[frown]

As for renewals, they said they aren't going to take away Class A's from people who already have them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll have to "give up my first born and one of my legs" to get a Class A according to the officer.[frown]

As for renewals, they said they aren't going to take away Class A's from people who already have them.

Did you consider contacting an MA firearms lawyer before applying? Many of the B-rammers can often be gamed into at least giving you a restricted A.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom