Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want a good plaintiff? Get joe average with an unrestricted A close to renewal and move him into Watertown, and watch the renewal downgrade fun begin... Boston or Brookline for that matter, too. I would bet that Canton does it all the time, too.
-Mike
This exactly what I'm talking about. Once presented with a well articulated question, I think a federal court (probably an appeals court) is going to have a hard time understand how a reasonably respectable Joe Average who has lived in red town X for a number of years as a perfectly proper gun carrying citizen can suddenly cease to be a proper person by virtue of their LTC expiring. Sure, the towns will keep doing it for now, but I think they'd lose this fight.

They're not completely green, they still discriminate against 20-somethings on first issue, I think. That said. it is a big change... but the old chief had to be punted out for it to happen. GOAL and others have wailed on Quincy for years.
-Mike
I do agree with you, but, by that standard we could probably call just about any town red based upon a chief's ability to do this. I doubt there's a single chief in MA that doesn't want to restrict (or even deny) someone outside defined statutory prohibitions.

I've seen some mixed responses about Somerville, wondering if anyone has/knows any recent experiences? Also if anyone has any suggestions for a first time applicant. Late twenties, no criminal history.

I've seen some mixed responses about Somerville, wondering if anyone has/knows any recent experiences? Also if anyone has any suggestions for a first time applicant. Late twenties, no criminal history.

I got an unrestricted LTC-A in Somerville. early 20s college grad, first time applicant. Don't know anybody special either

With Fall River's new police chief, Daniel Racine are we still in the red?
Need to re up my in 2012. I would like my restrictions pulled want to start looking at my options.

They're not completely green, they still discriminate against 20-somethings on first issue, I think. That said. it is a big change... but the old chief had to be punted out for it to happen. GOAL and others have wailed on Quincy for years.

-Mike

A few months ago my girlfriend was 26 and she got no restrictions. Is he restricting only on early 20's?

Hey everyone. I've been lurking for about a year now, but I'm a new shooter and haven't had much to contribute until today. I just got my LTC Class A in Middleboro after only 2.5 weeks of waiting. Additionally, the entire application process with the MPD was handled professionally and turned out to be painless.

Hey everyone. I've been lurking for about a year now, but I'm a new shooter and haven't had much to contribute until today. I just got my LTC Class A in Middleboro after only 2.5 weeks of waiting. Additionally, the entire application process with the MPD was handled professionally and turned out to be painless.

Congrats and welcome aboard!

I would like to ask for some guidance. I am in the military, and am a non resident. I currently hold my state permit (RI), work only restrictions, (PA) without restrictions, and New Hampshire without restriction for about 6 years now. I am also a certified NRA Basic pistol instructor. Will I need to have a certificate of basic pistol course? Or will it suffice my NRA instructor card, DD214's, etc. Is it possible to request a class A, even though my home state is a work purposes only?

Sorry, but MA won't give you a "pass" regardless of your credentials. You need a MSP Cert from a MSP Certified Instructor in order to apply for your NR LTC. You will likely get a restricted MA NR LTC-A that won't allow you to carry a firearm, at least for your first year.

Sorry, but MA won't give you a "pass" regardless of your credentials. You need a MSP Cert from a MSP Certified Instructor in order to apply for your NR LTC. You will likely get a restricted MA NR LTC-A that won't allow you to carry a firearm, at least for your first year.

It does not make sense though, then what would be the purpose of an LTC-A that does not allow firearm carry, that sounds more like an FID card or a LTC B.

Besides, checking the application I must go in person to Chelsea and process it through the FRB. I just would like to hear based on experience, personal or not, as I am very aware NE is very draconian. My understanding of the law (text provided) is that I could be exempt just for being in the military, from taking this safety course.

A safety course is not required if you:

3) are authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess a weapon, and are acting within the scope of your duties. Specifically this applies to any officer, agent or employee of the Commonwealth or any state of the United States; any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; and any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the Commonwealth. Note that this exemption does not cover the carrying of a weapon while not on duty.

Thank you for your opinion.

Last edited:
It does not make sense though, then what would be the purpose of an LTC-A that does not allow firearm carry, that sounds more like an FID card then.

Sorry, but MA and "makes sense" just doesn't compute. [thinking]

It's a new anti-gun policy implemented ~18 months ago. Prior to that. many NRs had an easier time than Residents in getting unrestricted LTCs.

FYI: FID only allows possession of low-capacity rifles/shotguns (no handguns at all). LTC-B allows any rifle/shotgun and only low-capacity handguns. LTC-A allows all the above and hi-cap handguns. All mags MUST be either made pre-9/13/1994 (if hi-cap) OR NMT 10 round capacity for handguns/rifles and NMT 5 round capacity for shotgun mags. [This reflects the AWB still in effect in MA.]

Last edited:
Hey man, I just wanted an opinion, you don't need to get offended. I understand that you are also an NRA instructor, but based on your own words, you said (or typed) that if they issued me a LTC-A, where as LTC means Licence to carry, and yet I could not carry a firearm did not make sense at all. Am I clear enough now?

I have the new application, which includes the new guidelines which clearly states that if you are in the military, law enforcement, under any state military service, YOU DO NOT NEED A SAFETY COURSE.

Besides, we are on the same side of this LTC issue, or at least I believe so. I do want to find out at minimum, what could I expect in terms of possible/impossible/we hate the military/no way Jose/good chance on getting it.

Last edited:
Hey man, I just wanted an opinion, you don't need to get offended. I understand that you are also an NRA instructor, but based on your own words, you said (or typed) that if they issued me a LTC-A, where as LTC means Licence to carry, and yet I could not carry a firearm did not make sense at all. Am I clear enough now?

I have the new application, which includes the new guidelines which clearly states that if you are in the military, law enforcement, under any state military service, YOU DO NOT NEED A SAFETY COURSE.

Besides, we are on the same side of this LTC issue, or at least I believe so. I do want to find out at minimum, what could I expect in terms of possible/impossible/we hate the military/no way Jose/good chance on getting it.

Whoa, I wasn't offended. And if I came across as "sharp", I apologize . . . it wasn't directed at you. What I was trying to say is that "makes sense" (or common sense) is just not part of the landscape in MA wrt how they write laws.

Yes a "License to Carry" SHOULD mean that one could "carry" but it really hasn't been that way since at least the mid-1970s (when I first got involved in shooting AND attending Jt. Comm on Public Safety hearings). Many places "restricted" the holder to "no concealed carry" (Boston used to plaster their LTCs with a big red stamp).

The LTC and FID in MA simply gives you the "privilege" (we have no rights [thinking] ) to POSSESS certain guns according to class of license as laid out in MGLs. Whether or not you can "carry" is subjectively left to the sole discretion of your local police chief (and many follow marching orders of their bosses - mayor, selectman, city council, etc.). ONLY a LTC-Class A can "carry" (unless otherwise restricted by local chief) per MGLs.

CHSB/FRB is issuing LTC-As to NRs, but started restricting them to "no concealed carry" a short while ago. I'm guessing that this was a mandate by either/both Gov. Patrick or the Sec of Public Safety, but we'll likely never know who did this. Many of us look upon this as a rip-off to pay $100/year for a license that merely allows you to secure a gun unloaded in your trunk in MA! Rumor has it that after the first year, they may lift the restriction . . . but I have no direct knowledge that they are doing this currently.

I hope this is a bit clearer for you.

None of the MA gun laws make any sense. Len is correct. An LTC-A may or may not allow you to carry concealed. Whether it does or not is determined by the restrictions placed on it by the issuing authority. The issuing authority can place on it any restriction they want. Many issuing authorities place restrictions that prevent concealed carry. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it makes no sense. Welcome to MA.

I do want to find out at minimum, what could I expect in terms of possible/impossible/we hate the military/no way Jose/good chance on getting it.
I don't think your military status will make any difference one way or the other. Unless you can articulate a reason why they should grant you an unrestricted license, my understanding is that you will likely get a restricted one, at least for the first year. Yes, that sucks.

You need to understand MA-Speak. ANY movement with a firearm, including possession of a disassembled gun with a trigger lock on the frame inside a locked case while in the locked trunk of a car is "carry" under state law and thus requires a License to Carry. A license to carry me be issued with whatever restrictions the issuing authority deems appropriate.

The application may be found at: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/MIRCS Non-Resident LTC application - for website.pdf

Note that it states "in", not "discharged from". I would suggest that you obtain a clarification that they consider the fact that you may be ordered to carry a firearm as "carrying in the scope of your duties" eve if you are not generally authorized to be armed. From the wording, it appears it does - but it does not hurt to be certain when dealing with the MA bureaucracy.

Last edited:

I either missed this or it was your edit after I saw it.

READ Rob's link very carefully . . . the "exemption" from training is ONLY for "on duty possession/use", otherwise you need the course. It's poorly worded (what's new) because you can possess/carry as a LEO or MIL (on duty only) in MA w/o any permit from MA!

The application may be found at: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/MIRCS Non-Resident LTC application - for website.pdf

Note that it states "in", not "discharged from". I would suggest that you obtain a clarification that they consider the fact that you may be ordered to carry a firearm as "carrying in the scope of your duties" eve if you are not generally authorized to be armed. From the wording, it appears it does - but it does not hurt to be certain when dealing with the MA bureaucracy.

Again, read this link carefully and if you have any question, get in contact with the author (Jason Guida) directly for clarification.

Braintree: My co-worker walked into my office yesterday morning with his Class A - No Restrictions LTC. It was a license renewal, after moving to Braintree from another town.

A friend just got his LTC A with no restrictions in Arlington, took about six weeks. Another is applying in Lexington presently and they are requiring multiple letters of reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom