• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littleton is Green.

Application and renewal is a snap. The officer in charge of LTC applications was pleasant and casual. I didn't feel like the default 'criminal' that we all know MA LTC holders are.

Littleton is Green.

Application and renewal is a snap. The officer in charge of LTC applications was pleasant and casual. I didn't feel like the default 'criminal' that we all know MA LTC holders are.

You asked for and received an ALP LTC?

Yes. Class A All Lawful Purposes.

At least that was on the original cheap laminated card. The new credit card style (I renewed the middle of last year) says "Restrictions: None"

Last edited:
I don't think Natick should be green. When I applied in 05 I was told by Detective Blanchard, who was in charge of the processing at the time, that Chief Manix will not grant ALP unless you have a good reason. I even told them that I needed it for a job I was applying for. I received a target sport restriction. I returned a month later with a letter from my new employer and eventually got a new ALP issued. They called my boss on the phone and asked to be informed when I leave the company. Doesn't sound like a green town to me.

Yes. Class A All Lawful Purposes.

At least that was on the original cheap laminated card. The new credit card style (I renewed the middle of last year) says "Restrictions: None"

One in the same. ALP = "Restrictions:None" in the new style. Thanks for clarifying.

Submitted my app today. It was a pain free and pleasant process with Lt. Ouelette....

He put me in for LTC-A but with the restriction of Target & Sporting. He said that unless I have a letter from work stating I need it or I was a business owner they will not give me an ALP.

I knew this going in and I knew that this has long been the policy in Salem eith the chief according to what I learned on this site. So i did not argue with him and it was a very nice experience.

Besides the restrictions I have no complaints.

... some light hearted small talk.

So now I have to a make a list for Christmas.......

Pain free and pleasant? With restrictions? Only ALP if a business?

No arguing, no complaints, light hearted small talk makes the masters happy.

I'd say ask for a new chief for Christmas.

;-)

I think we need to differentiate between a town being truly green for first time applicants versus being green for renewals. Some towns restrict the first permit and them upgrade at renewal while some issue a restricted first permit but will renew whatever you had (meaning you could move to the town with alp and they will renew that but some will renew restrictions if that is what you moved to town with)

It's not exactly true to call a town green based on a renewal unless first time applicants also get alp.

I think we need to differentiate between a town being truly green for first time applicants versus being green for renewals. Some towns restrict the first permit and them upgrade at renewal while some issue a restricted first permit but will renew whatever you had (meaning you could move to the town with alp and they will renew that but some will renew restrictions if that is what you moved to town with)

It's not exactly true to call a town green based on a renewal unless first time applicants also get alp.

Those towns aren't green, they should be marked as yellows, IMO. (Of course, this depends on the
upgrade... if the "upgrade" is "restricted B to restricted A" then IMO they should remain red. )

-Mike

Last edited:
the map does need to be redone. i found a few errors in it only after comparing cities and color to the actual map for a few minutes.
we need a new master list of cities with updated colors for each though before we can make a accurate map.

that was going to be my next step: to ask if we can incorporate yellow in the list

Thought it was in there before for some reason..... not sure why... maybe it was on another source. (PDO?)

I think part of the problem with yellow though is, is quantifying what it means. We could call it "A/none with dog and pony show" or "A/none but only to previous applicants" etc. Another problem is some yellow towns likely blow hot and cold. One applicant could be told "no problem" another could be told "no f-ing way". IMO any that are not predictable should just be demoted to red.

There are also towns which I consider sub-red- eg, towns that do "b-ramming" on first time applicants, or only issue LTC-Bs at all. Not quite a black town, but still worse than living in Boston. I think we should color those towns brown- the color of poop. [laugh]

-Mike

Thought it was in there before for some reason..... not sure why... maybe it was on another source. (PDO?)

I think part of the problem with yellow though is, is quantifying what it means. We could call it "A/none with dog and pony show" or "A/none but only to previous applicants" etc. Another problem is some yellow towns likely blow hot and cold. One applicant could be told "no problem" another could be told "no f-ing way". IMO any that are not predictable should just be demoted to red.

There are also towns which I consider sub-red- eg, towns that do "b-ramming" on first time applicants, or only issue LTC-Bs at all. Not quite a black town, but still worse than living in Boston. I think we should color those towns brown- the color of poop. [laugh]

-Mike

From a pure informational sense, the colors on the map should be limited to Green, yellow, red, black and white. Yellow can mean look down for more info. I wouldn't add in brown (although appreciate the sentiment[grin]) or anything else to try and colorize those exceptions. There are too many of them and it will be more confusing, especially if they B-ram and also do something else which qualifies as yellow. Should that one be hashed with 2 colors then? It is just better to say anyone with yellow, look down for notes on why. The big issue will be collecting the notes on why yellow. Maybe it can be done going forward, but it is definitely will be work going back over 1300 posts to find the info.
Keeping the map simple makes it more powerful. Both for prospective firearms licensees, movers, etc and also maybe, just maybe someone will publish this map in a wider forum (newspaper, tv, etc) and then the simplicity will be much appreciated.

oakham is super green have both my ltc and license to posses a machine gun! god bless a pro gun police department [iwojima]

My son (age 24) recently applied for new lisc. as ALP and got "Target & Hunting" from Milton. Took 5 weeks. He was told on renewal he'd get no restrictions. 3 written letters of recommendation, LO friendly and receptive to "No Restrictions", but looks like he was overruled by Chief.

Shrewsbury is green.

My sis-in-law, first time applicant, Class A, restrictions - NONE.

28 days.

Well, I just got my LTC-A no restrict. in Bridgewater, but it took some doing, or "explanation(s)" as the other poster said...
They wanted to give me a B first, and then reapply four years later for the A.
I had to talk to the police chief and really plead my case, then a followup email, and I also, on my own accord, gave him an additional character reference, from shall we say, another person-of-importance.

The chief in B'water said thats the way he usually does it...'B' first, then 'A'.

So I REALLY don't know about Bridgewater being truly "green" as-it-were, maybe it was just me and my personal profile.[wink]

ace57

I also had a difficult time getting my LTC. In the end I ended up with a Class B with hunting and target shooting restrictions. The Sgt made it sound like it was a big deal for the Chief to give me the Class B. I applied for the 'A' and was "denied" without reason. The Chief was only willing to give me a FID which I had already had for the last twelve years. I agree Bridgewater is very red! I was totally frustrated by the whole process and told I could come back next year (for another $100 of course) and apply for an 'A'.

Congratulations on the LTC-A.

Wingshooter3

I also had a difficult time getting my LTC. In the end I ended up with a Class B with hunting and target shooting restrictions. The Sgt made it sound like it was a big deal for the Chief to give me the Class B. I applied for the 'A' and was "denied" without reason. The Chief was only willing to give me a FID which I had already had for the last twelve years. I agree Bridgewater is very red! I was totally frustrated by the whole process and told I could come back next year (for another $100 of course) and apply for an 'A'.

Congratulations on the LTC-A.

Wingshooter3

Is there anything in your record which would cause you issue? Any convictions/arrests/ROs?

Haverhill Update

Hi all.

Just an update from a first time applicant here in Haverhill:

Applied for and Received: LTC-A, Restrictions: None, 4 Weeks.

Good stuff!! [party]

-Dan

I've had an FID since you needed an FID, and had a "target and hunting" during the '80's but it expired long ago. This was my first application for an LTC-A; it took 6 weeks, no restrictions, Westminster.

Still waiting more than 8 weeks on my app

call the CHSB, ask them about the status of your permit. Once you get that info, then call the PD and ask if your application has been processed, if they give you any bullcrap (read: any explanation except what the CHSB has said) then tell them what the CHSB said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom