• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info everyone, i wish i could move to a green town but i don't have much of an option. i would love the ability to conceal carry but it sounds like that will probably not happen in Randolph. i have a lot of pre ban mags in my collection i just really want the ability to keep them. i wont be moving till late February of next year.

if they restrict you they must put in writing why they are restricting you as of 1/1/2015. If they restrict you I suggest you appeal. I am sure someone will be able to advise you as to the process.

If I just took my class and I'm applying in a red town, is the recommendation that I wait until 1/1 then to submit the application?

Quote Originally Posted by jake852 View Post
Hello All,

I wanted to give an update for the town of North Reading.

My brother applied for his class A. It took him almost two months to meet with the licencing officer. Once he got his appointment the officer informed him that the new chief (as of two years ago I believe) does not issue any unrestricted class A's. He can get a class A for target and hunting only. The licencing officer did not necessarily agree with the chief on this matter but hes rejecting every unrestricted.

Thanks

Renewal in North Reading, excellent experience. Sgt Howe was professional and friendly.
First call to PD was in August was told I would be contacted about a month before my expiration date.
Received call to set up appointment appox 38 days before expiration date.
10/8/2014 appointment with Sgt Howe
11/4/2014 received call that LTC available to pick up at dispatch.
11/4/2014 picked up LTC Class A restrictions: None
27 calendar days

Thank god for this thread because I plan on moving out of my green town and were looking into North Reading, Reading, Wakefield, and a few others.......this will now play a huge factor.

Holbrook, MA

42 calendar days (6 weeks) exactly from interview to ltc no restrictions

Last edited:
Thank god for this thread because I plan on moving out of my green town and were looking into North Reading, Reading, Wakefield, and a few others.......this will now play a huge factor.

Renewal in North Reading, excellent experience. Sgt Howe was professional and friendly.
First call to PD was in August was told I would be contacted about a month before my expiration date.
27 calendar days

- - - Updated - - -

27 calendar days

Basic Firearms Safety Course 10/11
Called local LO same day.
Got return call 10/12
Interviewed and submitted application on Columbus Day
Called DCJIS 11/4 to see if there was any info on where things stood and they told me that everything had been approved on their end and that the LTC was issued with an 11/7 effective date.
Was hoping that Veteran's Day would be the big day but, no love so far.
Staying patient on day 29...

Still waiting on day 37... I know I probably shouldn't complain, I've seen the other stories of the process taking over a year to get a T&H "LTC", but why does it have take so long to protect myself and my family?

Terrorism, Ferguson unrest, home invasions, I've never been paranoid before, but suddenly I feel very vulnerable and like an easy target.

Got it on day 41 LTC-A no restrictions.

Last edited:
Holbrook, MA

42 calendar days (6 weeks) exactly from interview to ltc no restrictions

Good to know. I emailed application and certificate to I/O and was interviewed within a week. Officer was professional and supportive of 2nd Amendment. Was advised that I would hear back in 3-5 weeks.

I just recently moved from red to green, did the whole change of address procedure about a week ago. And now I ask advice of you guys, what is the best way to go about trying to get my new pd to re issue me an unrestricted Ltc as oppose to my T/H Ltc from my old city. I'm sure a few of you have been through this process before thank you in advance.

Also please PM me with any advice because I'm not on as much as I used to be to check through threads for updates due to my hectic schedule.

I just recently moved from red to green, did the whole change of address procedure about a week ago. And now I ask advice of you guys, what is the best way to go about trying to get my new pd to re issue me an unrestricted Ltc as oppose to my T/H Ltc from my old city. I'm sure a few of you have been through this process before thank you in advance.

Also please PM me with any advice because I'm not on as much as I used to be to check through threads for updates due to my hectic schedule.

No offense but this has been covered many times. Suggest you try a search, and then if you come up with nothing, repost the question.

When I moved from Lowell to Chelmsford, to get the t/h removed i had to apply for a new license. I would say call ahead and ask before you start paper work to see if their chief is open to removing restrictions imposed by another chief. Chelmsford was not, but when I applied for a new license Lowell was willing to expire my license early and facilitate the new license. Worst case you have to wait the rest of the time for this license to expire if your old town is not willing to expire your current license early. Best case they just remove them on the move. More likely than both of those is that you have to do what I did.

There appears to be a major policy shift in North Reading. I've been going back and looking at some of our licensing data in closer detail and North Reading is at the top of the list for police departments moving in the wrong direction.

Organization Name Tot Restriction Rate LY Restriction Rate
North Reading Police Department 8.65 27.76 -19.12 Red

Organization Restriction Rate - All Active LTCsRestriction Rate - LTCs issused 2013Restriction Rate ChangeTrend
North Reading Police Department8.65%27.76%-19.12Negative

There appears to be a major policy shift in North Reading. I've been going back and looking at some of our licensing data in closer detail and North Reading is at the top of the list for police departments moving in the wrong direction.

Organization Name Tot Restriction Rate LY Restriction Rate
North Reading Police Department 8.65 27.76 -19.12 Red

Organization Restriction Rate - All Active LTCsRestriction Rate - LTCs issused 2013Restriction Rate ChangeTrend
North Reading Police Department8.65%27.76%-19.12Negative

Yah, it's been trending that way since 2012 when Chief Murphy took over, lots of complaints about N. Reading.

When I moved from Lowell to Chelmsford, to get the t/h removed i had to apply for a new license. I would say call ahead and ask before you start paper work to see if their chief is open to removing restrictions imposed by another chief. Chelmsford was not, but when I applied for a new license Lowell was willing to expire my license early and facilitate the new license. Worst case you have to wait the rest of the time for this license to expire if your old town is not willing to expire your current license early. Best case they just remove them on the move. More likely than both of those is that you have to do what I did.

that part in bold.....the new chief can't, he doesn't control the LTC.

- - - Updated - - -

that part in bold.....the new chief can't, he doesn't control the LTC.

Thought I would put this out there incase anybody is going for Boston. This was my experience.

8/27 Called BPD for Appt

10/6 Appt for application interview and submittal LTC-A

10/7 Range test @ Moon Island

11/19 GF's license arrived in the mail. Still waiting for mine.

11/28 My T&H LTC-A arrived.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Thought I would put this out there incase anybody is going for Boston. This was my experience. 8/27 Called BPD for Appt 10/6 Appt for application interview and submittal LTC-A 10/7 Range test @ Moon Island 11/19 GF's license arrived in the mail. Still waiting for mine. - - - Updated - - -

Was your girlfriend's unrestricted?

FJ40, I wish, no they didn't even ask when inputting the application. They just automatically submitted for T&H. We were told that we could write a letter to the LT to get it review for restriction removal. I plan to follow through with that after the turn of the year.

Basic Firearms Safety Course 10/11
Called local LO same day.
Got return call 10/12
Interviewed and submitted application on Columbus Day
Called DCJIS 11/4 to see if there was any info on where things stood and they told me that everything had been approved on their end and that the LTC was issued with an 11/7 effective date.
Was hoping that Veteran's Day would be the big day but, no love so far.
Staying patient on day 29...

Still waiting on day 37... I know I probably shouldn't complain, I've seen the other stories of the process taking over a year to get a T&H "LTC", but why does it have take so long to protect myself and my family?

Terrorism, Ferguson unrest, home invasions, I've never been paranoid before, but suddenly I feel very vulnerable and like an easy target.

Got it on day 41 LTC-A no restrictions.

I'm so jealous. Took me 84 days in 2013 and I'm in a 100% green town (Hanover). Sounds so much better now.

i noticed some towns on the list change...slowly...may i ask what often leads to this?

change in LEO

or lawsuits

There are a lot of reason. In addition to those cited by PennyPincher, it can be a change in licensing officer (lots of chief just don't get involved in licensing), it can be a change in policy, and sometimes it's just better information. One thing that happened this year is that we got actual data instead of relying upon anecdotal information. Much of this information was dated and unreliable, often suffering from the 'echo-chamber' effect. I predict that the trend will continue to improve and that licensing data for 2014 will show even fewer restricted license issued than in previous years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom