• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi RYJ, I'm looking to apply 1st time with Chief Oulette. Any advice on LTC A application? Thanks.
DanversGal,

Most likely you will not even see the cheif unless he happens to walk by. Just be honest on app.

You will meet with Detective Ashley Sanborn. She was a pleasure to deal with.

As you may know they only take apps on tuesdays and that can change so check their website. Dont try and get their early its always busy in morning, after lunch is good and your in and out in 20 minutes oh and there is a little ticket machine like at the Deli make sure you grab one its first come first serve

Good Luck

Mark

PS
Dont expect your check to clear anytime soon. I submitted my renewal on june 24 and check is not cleared yet lol what a pain in the butt

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

Wife and I had interview today in Hopkinton. Lasted about 45 minutes. Basically, told that we are only going to get restricted. It seem to be more of covering their butts over anything else. Can have restrictions lifted after 9 to 12 months.

Last edited:
Wife and I had interview today in Hopkinton. Basically, told that we are only going to get restricted. It seem to be more of covering their butts over anything else. Can have restrictions lifted after 9 to 12 months.

That's a disappointment, chart up top says they used to be green.

- - - Updated - - -

Wife and I had interview today in Hopkinton. Lasted about 45 minutes. Basically, told that we are only going to get restricted. It seem to be more of covering their butts over anything else. Can have restrictions lifted after 9 to 12 months.

WTH? First I've heard of anything like this in HOP. Do you guys have excessive piercings and hemp tattoos?

Hopkinton restricts about 13% of their LTC's - a rate that's above the state average.

Makes me wonder what the pattern is.... if there's a pattern of discrimination based on age or other factors.

It will be nice if the reason for denial or restriction that needs to be written was required to be reported so that statistics could be derived.

It will be nice if the reason for denial or restriction that needs to be written was required to be reported so that statistics could be derived.

Even when they begin that requirement next year, I wouldn't necessarily expect the truth, especially in cases of arbitrary discrimination.

WTH? First I've heard of anything like this in HOP. Do you guys have excessive piercings and hemp tattoos?

Nope, average middle aged Mr. and Mrs. Family type...

He stated flat out come back in 9-12 months and I will remove them...that's why it seemed like he was trying to cover his a$$.

Nope, average middle aged Mr. and Mrs. Family type...

He stated flat out come back in 9-12 months and I will remove them...that's why it seemed like he was trying to cover his a$$.

If he is going to remove them in 9-12months, then why bother with the restrictions? just seems senseless. The chief and town/city are not liable for anything.

Even when they begin that requirement next year, I wouldn't necessarily expect the truth, especially in cases of arbitrary discrimination.

What I am hoping for (and should have stated) is full reporting, so that stats can be generated. Reason given is just one of the pieces :D :D :D

Thus, the licensing authority believes himself to be "liable" for YOUR actions...when in FACT they are not, should they still have ANYTHING to do with YOUR rights? Considering this statement, of 9-12 month restrictions, basically proves the chief to be clueless as to his JOB?
CONTACT Comm2A, see if you can sue this little Napoleonic idiot. Consider a FOIA to the department, specifically ask for the backgrounds on their department hires, the cops. See if THEY have any interesting background issues that were "overlooked" for THEM, but were applied to DENY or restrict YOUR rights. All you need is a letter specifying your wish to receive the generic background pre-hire checks the town did before hiring the officers. I find it highly unlikely that there aren't ANY precluding issue for the police hires that was applied to us citizens.

4 weeks from interview to LTC a no restrictions in west bridgewater this was a first time application

- - - Updated - - -

4 weeks from interview to LTC a no restrictions in west bridgewater this was a first time application

I just want to provide the thread some information on my LTC RENEWAL. My original license was issued by Andover PD (when it was a red town). The original license was restricted to target/hunting, BUT I was successful in getting the restrictions lifted. I eventually moved to North Andover and had my unrestricted LTC issued by Andover. I renewed my license back in April. I had to go into the department for a quick interview (nothing major). I was concerned that because I moved to a "Red Town" that they would try to restrict my license upon renewal. the Licensing Officer was extremely friendly. My renewal went through in the normal course probably 3-5 weeks (I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't long). I am happy to report that my license remained unrestricted.

SO in MY experience North Andover did not restrict my license upon renewal.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to provide the thread some information on my LTC RENEWAL. My original license was issued by Andover PD (when it was a red town). The original license was restricted to target/hunting, BUT I was successful in getting the restrictions lifted. I eventually moved to North Andover and had my unrestricted LTC issued by Andover. I renewed my license back in April. I had to go into the department for a quick interview (nothing major). I was concerned that because I moved to a "Red Town" that they would try to restrict my license upon renewal. the Licensing Officer was extremely friendly. My renewal went through in the normal course probably 3-5 weeks (I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't long). I am happy to report that my license remained unrestricted.

SO in MY experience North Andover did not restrict my license upon renewal.

Recently moved to Mass. I was issued unrestricted LTC in Topsfield. Three weeks to get an interview, 13 weeks from interview to permit issue. Topsfield law enforcement were very helpful and friendly throughout. Good experience overall.

Recently moved to Mass. I was issued unrestricted LTC in Topsfield. Three weeks to get an interview, 13 weeks from interview to permit issue. Topsfield law enforcement were very helpful and friendly throughout. Good experience overall.

They may have been nice but 13 weeks is to long

I had heard stories of it taking much longer so I was prepared for the wait. I also think I fell through the cracks with one officer retiring and a new one taking over the program. While 13 weeks was longer than I had hoped but it all worked in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

There was a new chief installed earlier this year, came from Woonsocket. With the old chief, you could get unrestricted easily, you just had to be direct in saying that's what you wanted, and be willing to meet with the chief separately from the time you submit your prints/photo.

Sad to know that the town has got some red going through it now.

Last edited:

Chapter 140, Section 131

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity
firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

On day 41, you should be calling the PD, sending a registered letter, etc... also reporting it to GOAL (they're keeping track.) PD's are getting a pass for this violation of MGL and they shouldn't.

Chapter 140, Section 131

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity

On day 41, you should be calling the PD, sending a registered letter, etc... also reporting it to GOAL (they're keeping track.) PD's are getting a pass for this violation of MGL and they shouldn't.

go ahead and do all those things, but there is no teeth in the law, so it won't ****ing matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 140, Section 131

go ahead and do all those things, but there is no teeth in the law, so it won't ****ing matter.

Hello everyone i am not from MA. but will be moving to the town of Randolph early next year. I have been conceal carrying in my state for over 3 years now and was just wondering if there was anyone here who has any knowledge on how hard it is to get a LTC A in Randolph. Any info would be appreciated.

Hello everyone i am not from MA. but will be moving to the town of Randolph early next year. I have been conceal carrying in my state for over 3 years now and was just wondering if there was anyone here who has any knowledge on how hard it is to get a LTC A in Randolph. Any info would be appreciated.

Randolph issues restricted licenses more often than other towns. They also have some other onerous requirements that will probably offend you. If you're unwilling to tolerate their BS tell someone about it.

Move to a green town/city

If you absolutely must make Randolph your home, you may better off waiting until next year to apply. There have been a few changes to the laws that should be beneficial to those seeking firearms licenses. However, these changes have yet to be tested.

Otherwise, check with the forum for a nearby, gun friendly town.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info everyone, i wish i could move to a green town but i don't have much of an option. i would love the ability to conceal carry but it sounds like that will probably not happen in Randolph. i have a lot of pre ban mags in my collection i just really want the ability to keep them. i wont be moving till late February of next year.

Hello All,

I wanted to give an update for the town of North Reading.

My brother applied for his class A. It took him almost two months to meet with the licencing officer. Once he got his appointment the officer informed him that the new chief (as of two years ago I believe) does not issue any unrestricted class A's. He can get a class A for target and hunting only. The licencing officer did not necessarily agree with the chief on this matter but hes rejecting every unrestricted.

Thanks
North Reading, No issues getting unrestricted for my renewal. Also got and appointment within 30 days and got my new LTC withing 30 days after appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom