Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a A: unrestricted, and am thinking about moving to Sharon MA ( red town) any idea if they would add a restriction when I move and need the license renewed?

- - - Updated - - -

I currently have a A: unrestricted, and am thinking about moving to Sharon MA ( red town) any idea if they would add a restriction when I move and need the license renewed?

I would advise moving somewhere else (but not Canton either)!

First time getting a LTC out of Sharon they will require letters of recommendation, a letter from an MD stating that you are physically and mentally fit to possess a gun, etc. This is even true for renewals if it is your first time in Sharon. They will also ask how many of what type guns you own, specifically where do you store them and other BS (like what club you belong to, how often and where you carry, etc.) and all this info gets entered into their local computer system.

Wow man. Give a call over to the PD. They must have it at this point, but they may be sitting on it for whatever reason.

Just called, he said "haven't got any yet" and would call me when it came in.

EDIT : Maybe mail is backed up because of the storm? Only thing I can think of atm.

Also why the hell doesn't the FRB just mail the licenses directly to the applicant when they are approved, would cut out a whole step of bullshit.

Last edited:
I'd like to let you know that Framingham should be switched over to Yellow or Red.
Not too long ago I have a meeting with the licensing officer and he told me in conversation that they are giving out some "Target/Sport" restriction on first issue. I guy I personally know got a restricted license in Framingham within the last and was told that it would be lifter on renewal.
Framingham got a new Chief who appointed and new licensing officer - Lt. Perera. The previews licensing officer, Lt. Brandolini, was much more pro 2A.

Does anyone have any additional recent info on the Ham?

I know of a few people who have Unrestricted in Methuen, not the brightest individuals either. You should be okay.

- - - Updated - - -

I know of a few people who have Unrestricted in Methuen, not the brightest individuals either. You should be okay.

good to hear. I'm in methuen and will be applying shortly. hopefully i'm bright enough

Bellingham is green. My wife and I just picked up our LTC Class A, restrictions: none. Called for the appointment on Dec. 10 and was told to come right in. Very nice and smooth interview the same day, nothing extra asked for. The FRB recieved the approved applications on Jan. 22, activated on Feb. 11 - picked up today. 67 days total.

Bellingham is green. My wife and I just picked up our LTC Class A, restrictions: none. Called for the appointment on Dec. 10 and was told to come right in. Very nice and smooth interview the same day, nothing extra asked for. The FRB recieved the approved applications on Jan. 22, activated on Feb. 11 - picked up today. 67 days total.

That's good to hear. I grew up there and see not much had changed. [wink]

Are we seeing a post-Heller shift from red to green in a few towns since I last checked this?

There are other towns that have gone from green to red. So, no, they haven't gotten religion, and won't until and unless the federal court crams shall-issue licensing down their throats.

Just want to confirm Rowley is now definitely Green. I waltzed into the Rowley PD with my parents Christmas Eve morning. We saw Officer Dottie Tobin, she knew I was coming with them as I had called in advance to make sure I could bring them at the same time and stay with them. My Mom asked if she could wait until May because she'll be 70 and won't have to pay. I told her I'd pay the $100.00 myself if she was concerned, and I thought the sooner she did this, the better. She agreed. My Dad is 81, so he was exempt. He asked Officer Tobin if she was sure his FID card that he got when left the Airforce in 1955 was no longer valid. She assured him it wasn't. She was great, very professional and very pleasant.

The funny thing is he hasn't seen his FID card since the seventies because it went through the laundry in my jeans pocket and was destroyed. I used to " borrow " it from time to time. I'd ride my ten speed all the way to Colemans in Danvers, from Boxford, to buy .22LR for my Dad's Marlin tube fed rifle. I'd take it from over the fireplace when nobody was looking, shoot 100 rounds at cans and then put it back, nobody the wiser.

Last Friday my Dad came into work waving his LTC-A around like a kid with a good report card. I begged him to put it away. Eight weeks from date of application, not bad. After the close of business, we must've gone over gun stuff 3 hours. He said he didn't like his side arm in the Airforce because it kicked too much. I assume it was a 1911. He was having trouble dry firing my carry gun (G21), because he had surgery on his trigger finger last year and it isn't quite right. I told him I'd bring in a sampling of handguns Saturday and we'd go over them after work.

I brought him my S&W 627-5, S&W 19, my wife's Beretta 92FS & Sig P-238. He played with all of them but he wouldn't let go of the Sig. The rest were in a case, but the Sig was in my pocket and loaded. It's my wife's carry gun. I told her I was going to borrow it for the day. I emptied the mag and put in some snap-caps. My mom really liked it too. They wanted to fiddle with it this weekend, get used to the safety, mag drop and slide release.

I brought my wife home some Agawam fried shrimp as a belated Valentines Day present. After she ate them I told her my father kept her gun for the weekend. She gave me a look, then said " As long as I get it back on Monday ". Shrimp works every time [smile]

Related Note; One of the kids that works for me got his LTC-A last week. He like's to shoot and I've been telling him not to wait. He applied in Salisbury the week of Thanksgiving. Took about three months.

Good day.

I am in Bellingham and just submitted my LTC app Saturday. Sargent Rich Perry did the paperwork and interview and fingerprints for me. Rich is awesome, I have known him for 5 years now, so when I walked in he asked how I was doing and how my girls were. The whole process went well adn took about 60 minutes. He used their new electronic fingerprint scanner, no ink. I did have a LTC ALP back in 90-95 but stupidly let it expire. Sargent Perry told me it takes 4-6 weeks, which is alot better than my old LTC which was 6 months.

So

Called for Apt Feb 14th
Interview Feb 16th
LTC Issues -- TBD

I will let you know

Middleton was very green for me.

Went in on the 5th of feb for renewal.

Permit came in today, 18th of feb.

13 days. About as efficient and professional as it gets in this state for anything.

13 days. About as efficient and professional as it gets in this state for anything.

Middleton is listed as "RED, at best" on the OP list of towns. They may be quick, but did they issue an unrestricted license?

15 days since LTC was printed, still no call

EDIT

45 minutes later, i got THE call [smile]. Can pick it up any day from 9am-3pm, so I'll have to wait one more day.

Full Process in Chicopee :

12/20 - Interview and prints, same day appointment
1/29 - Application approved and recieved by the FRB
2/4 - License printed and ready for delivery
2/19 - Call for pickup

Total - 61 days from interview

Will report on restrictions tomorrow, but there's about a 99% chance it will be Sporting.

EDIT #2

License in hand, restrictions : sporting. Chicopee still RED

Last edited:

It sounds to me like if the town will process things promptly then it won't take that long (per your example) to get the license. If I recall correctly, the instructor I had at S&W (before they stopped courses) said he was the licensing officer somewhere, and he had an average 2 week turnaround because he processed them right away.

There is no excuse for the licenses taking as long as it is in some towns, not unless there's something in the applicant's background that is hard to track down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom