Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well u can deffinatly take the green off dartmouth, officialy been 2 months since ive had my interview and all my info is sitting at the station not being entered into the computer. I just got off the phone with DCJIS and a very nice and helpful woman named angie told me it was still in the "draft phase" and my local pd hasnt even done as much as entered it into the computer. If anyone wants to chime in as to wat i can do to make as big a stink over this as i can please let me know.

Green has nothing to do with wait time, it only pertains to whether towns give out LTC-A unrestricted or not.

Well u can deffinatly take the green off dartmouth, officialy been 2 months since ive had my interview and all my info is sitting at the station not being entered into the computer. I just got off the phone with DCJIS and a very nice and helpful woman named angie told me it was still in the "draft phase" and my local pd hasnt even done as much as entered it into the computer. If anyone wants to chime in as to wat i can do to make as big a stink over this as i can please let me know.

Can u post the number you called?

Have you dropped in or given the licensing officer a call? That's the first step. Maybe s/he lost your app. Maybe not.

Did you get your fingerprint scanned, and your full prints taken? Maybe they just some how neglected to click on "submit." Maybe not. But you should give him/her a call first.

If the answer is anything but "We dropped the ball", you could nicely say that you called into the license status check number, and they're claiming that the application hasn't even been submitted yet, could you double check for me? Or something similar.

Then check back again in 60 days and if there's no movement, be prepared to file a suit to force a decision. You only have a window from 41 to 131 days from date of paper application to file for judicial intervention.

IANAL but that's my understanding.

Last edited:
Really wishing my local PD would hurry up! My license was received and activated on March 6th by my local PD - they mail them out to you. Still have not received. Wondering if they're just sitting on it at this point. I tried calling the LO but they're not in today. It's frustrating knowing my first LTC-A is sitting around and not in my possession. [grin]

Hi Guys,

How is Peabody looking these days. I currently hold a Class A LTC from Wakefield and will be moving to Peabody soon. Renewal is not until 2015, but should I expect them to put restrictions on my current license? I am also an owner of rental properties so will be carrying large amounts of cash, I don't know if that is taken into account?

Thanks!

Have you dropped in or given the licensing officer a call? That's the first step. Maybe s/he lost your app. Maybe not.

Did you get your fingerprint scanned, and your full prints taken? Maybe they just some how neglected to click on "submit." Maybe not. But you should give him/her a call first.

If the answer is anything but "We dropped the ball", you could nicely say that you called into the license status check number, and they're claiming that the application hasn't even been submitted yet, could you double check for me? Or something similar.

Then check back again in 60 days and if there's no movement, be prepared to file a suit to force a decision. You only have a window from 41 to 131 days from date of paper application to file for judicial intervention.

IANAL but that's my understanding.

I have called non stop for at least the past week with no call back. Fingerprints were taken and all that crap that was supposed to get done, was done. The only reason i even got a call back is becuase i started to mention that i am a firefighter in said town. I didnt think in a town this small with two firearms licensing officers that i would be waiting over two months for them to even enter info into a computer. As far as physically going there, thats a complete waste of time, they will forward the lisencing officers phone #.

Jan 23. My wife and both went in for the "interview" which was just entering info in computer, picture and finger printing. My wife went first and there was some trouble getting the prints but the LO thought they were ok. I went next had perfect prints and was out of there in no time. Teh whole process was pretty simple and the LO was easy to deal with. Told me right up front they were running about 4-8 weeks. My license was approved by FRB Feb. 25th, haven't seen it yet? She calls FRB, still waiting on PD? I emailed LO and he responded a day later, waiting to hear back from Sate Police on her BG check. Sometimes its not the PDs fault. Clearly mine went through fine but hers is in limbo. Neither one of us has ever had any incidents that would raise any flags. Might just be the fingerprints, not sure. Ultimately its this Bull $h!+ process that is at fault. Our COP was quoted in the local paper about supporting the citizens 2A rights. I still havent gotten a response from the email I sent to my state rep. Research shows she is ANTI. No surprise I never got a response.

Wow. Bad situation, and not likely that you're gonna sue the town you work for.

My condolences on all of it.

ETA: Have you asked any of your brothers in the department if they've dealt with the LO or any of the other cops that you must run into at accident scenes, fires and stuff?

Wow

Went into Agawam today to start my renewal. At first, the woman in the records department thought 4 months was too early, but an officer in the next room told her it was ok. The entire process went smoothly, no hassles, took about 20 minutes there. They have a checklist that they follow and you initial when you leave, and have a special laminated notice they give you to read talking about questions 10 and 12 (Criminal defendant & 209A/Domestic Abuse) letting you know just what is and is not required to be reported, and that failing to report anything that is later found in a CORI check is grounds for denial due to an untruthful application submitted. They said the current wait time for permits is 10 weeks.

They gave no BS and were very polite throughout the whole process.

Barring some back office officer with a nail up their ass, I anticipate no issues renewing my "Unrestricted" (As Springfield put on theirs)/"ALP" (As Holyoke listed it when I lived there) LTC-A at the same level.

As a small aside, the front room dispatcher expressed shock that I removed my baseball cap when I walked into the building. Apparently, manners are in short supply these days for people coming in to see them.

Wow. Bad situation, and not likely that you're gonna sue the town you work for.

My condolences on all of it.

ETA: Have you asked any of your brothers in the department if they've dealt with the LO or any of the other cops that you must run into at accident scenes, fires and stuff?

Wow

I have asked but i dont really like to hint for them to do any favors for me. I dont beleive in receiving special treatment just becuase im a firefighter, which is why i didnt say anything at first.

Confirming that Peabody is still a RED city at the moment. The chief of police is retiring so no idea if it will change anything. I personally am already over the 40 days and the detective I spoke to says that MA is backed up bad and I'll have to wait another 12 weeks. Adding insult to injury, my license will be restricted.

Got my Unrestricted LTC-A today in Millbury. Appointment was on Feb 7th, received today. 37 days total. Sorry to all of you that had a MUCH tougher experience...I'm feeling so lucky to live in a town that respects our 2A rights.

Unfortunately since I got the mail at 11am on a Saturday, most places are closed or are closing soon so I can't really go shopping.

I personally am already over the 40 days and the detective I spoke to says that MA is backed up bad and I'll have to wait another 12 weeks. Adding insult to injury, my license will be restricted.

Got my Unrestricted LTC-A today in Millbury. Appointment was on Feb 7th, received today. 37 days total.

It's a shame that some towns either don't care or choose to flex their muscles against law abiding citizens. PhilCore's post is clear evidence of this and another reason we need to continue to support groups like Comm 2A that are proactively fighting to fix the system.

Got my Unrestricted LTC-A today in Millbury. Appointment was on Feb 7th, received today. 37 days total. Sorry to all of you that had a MUCH tougher experience...I'm feeling so lucky to live in a town that respects our 2A rights.

Unfortunately since I got the mail at 11am on a Saturday, most places are closed or are closing soon so I can't really go shopping.

Congrats man! I applied in Millbury the day before you so I'm anxiously waiting for the mail today! My street always gets our mail around 3:00

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Confirming that Peabody is still a RED city at the moment. The chief of police is retiring so no idea if it will change anything. I personally am already over the 40 days and the detective I spoke to says that MA is backed up bad and I'll have to wait another 12 weeks. Adding insult to injury, my license will be restricted.

I suppose Peabody can't get any worse, right ?

Just looking at the bright side.

I'm probably not believing "MA is backed up bad".

Chelsea printed out my LTC in one week from the day they received my info.

But be patient. Beefing with the LO will not help you.

Damn I applied in Millbury on February 6th, when I heard that you got your license in the mail today, I thought for sure mine would come today but it didn't, lol just another disappointing trip to the mail box, just like every other day haha

Oh we'll maybe next week or something.

You mentioned that you called a few times, I'm wondering if that sped the process up a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Damn I applied in Millbury on February 6th, when I heard that you got your license in the mail today, I thought for sure mine would come today but it didn't, lol just another disappointing trip to the mail box, just like every other day haha

Oh we'll maybe next week or something.

You mentioned that you called a few times, I'm wondering if that sped the process up a bit

FASCINATING! This is EXACTLY the kind of situation I wanted to see; two people from the same town. I've been wondering if it's not just the town but also individual circumstances that cause there to be such discrepancies in the amount of time it takes.

Boarder, will you please keep us informed?
Thanks!

FASCINATING! This is EXACTLY the kind of situation I wanted to see; two people from the same town. I've been wondering if it's not just the town but also individual circumstances that cause there to be such discrepancies in the amount of time it takes.

Boarder, will you please keep us informed?
Thanks!

Hey, absolutely I will definitely post on Monday whether it shows up or not...

I really thought since Phil and I applied with the same LO on basically the same day that we would both get our license in the mail today, but guess it doesn't work that way...he did mention that he called the LO a few days ago about the status, so that could have moved things along.

Definitely still hoping for some time next week tho haha

Northbridge is still green.

I applied for my LTC-A on Dec. 28, it was activated March 5th and I got it in the mail on the 13th. First time applicant and I got unrestricted. The application process was easy, the LO was great and responsive to my emails when I asked for status.

Just called the FRB this morning, application has been approved and is just waiting to be activated and printed.

I live in Millbury which is typically 30-40 days, today is day: 42

It looks like I could potentially have my license by day # 56

Lol sucks considering a couple of people who applied the same day that I did in the same town, already got their license in hand but I'm still grateful that I live in a fairly efficient town.

Sucks Boarder. Wish you got yours at the same time. Did you apply with the sec or with the detective though? Also, I think our sec was just getting annoyed with me bugging her all the time. :)

Sucks Boarder. Wish you got yours at the same time. Did you apply with the sec or with the detective though? Also, I think our sec was just getting annoyed with me bugging her all the time. :)

thanks man...it's all good...I'll still grateful to be in such a green town.

i applied with the secretary...i did have 1 minor thing on my record from over 10 years ago that was dismissed....now that i think of it the secretary told me it wouldn't be an issue getting the application approved...

but that it may take an extra week or 2...apparently the chief has to give the OK on any person that doesn't have a perfectly clean record....

Do you think i should call the Secretary in Millbury on Wednesday? Might move things along...maybe haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Few friends of mine just went through in Attleboro. They all got Class A no restrictions except one of them who got a Sporting restriction until the age of 26. She will then be able to have the restriction lifted. She will receiver her license 2 months before her 26th b-day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom