Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fall River

11/27 - apply / prints / pictures
wait
wait
wait
2/20 - LTC-A NO RESTRICTIONS (first time applying)

Needless to say, I'm going on a shopping spree this weekend, if anyone has any handguns to sell that is!

- - - Updated - - -

Fall River

11/27 - apply / prints / pictures
wait
wait
wait
2/20 - LTC-A NO RESTRICTIONS (first time applying)

Needless to say, I'm going on a shopping spree this weekend, if anyone has any handguns to sell that is!

Bellingham is green. My wife and I just picked up our LTC Class A, restrictions: none. Called for the appointment on Dec. 10 and was told to come right in. Very nice and smooth interview the same day, nothing extra asked for. The FRB recieved the approved applications on Jan. 22, activated on Feb. 11 - picked up today. 67 days total.

If I may ask, how did you know the dates of the processing through the FRB? I just put my app in with the local PD (Ashland, MA) and wondered how I could track it's progress if that was possible.

Thanks!

Anybody know how Lawrence is these days? I'm getting ready to go in after fighting with my doctor over the required letter bs for the second time, I was dumb and lost the first one :(

Last edited:
Anybody know how Lawrence is these days? I'm getting ready to go in after fighting with my doctor over the required letter bs for the second time, I was dumb and lost the first one :(
i got no restrictions two years ago, first time applicant

they've since added this to their website "First-time applicants are restricted to Target & Hunting only"

Anybody know the current status of Methuen? The OP shows it as green (formerly red) - but I don't know if that is up to date.

A co-worker is looking to get his license - lives in Methuen, and I told him I'd find out what he would be up against.

Me and the wife got ours at the end of last year no problem A ALP

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody know the current status of Methuen? The OP shows it as green (formerly red) - but I don't know if that is up to date.

A co-worker is looking to get his license - lives in Methuen, and I told him I'd find out what he would be up against.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone renewed in N. Andover lately? I've been trying to contact the Licensing Officer for 2 weeks, but my e-mail and call haven't been returned.

Last edited:
Is there a specific amount of time in which they must approve or deny an application?

The sit down with the licensing officer went smooth. Took pictures, fingerprints, and officially submitted the application. I thought I was told it would take 4-6 weeks. Since it's been about 8 now, I called and left a message just to follow up. I received a call back saying no, it was 6-10 weeks and I didn't need to call, just wait to hear back. Seems excessive, but I guess I just wait.

By the way, my application was changed to hunting and target automatically. I was told Waltham won't issue unrestricted on the 1st application unless you can prove a need with your job. Supposedly it can be lifted upon renewal or if work circumstances change. Anybody have any time frame for Waltham? I assume it will be the full 10 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a specific amount of time in which they must approve or deny an application?

The sit down with the licensing officer went smooth. Took pictures, fingerprints, and officially submitted the application. I thought I was told it would take 4-6 weeks. Since it's been about 8 now, I called and left a message just to follow up. I received a call back saying no, it was 6-10 weeks and I didn't need to call, just wait to hear back. Seems excessive, but I guess I just wait.

By the way, my application was changed to hunting and target automatically. I was told Waltham won't issue unrestricted on the 1st application unless you can prove a need with your job. Supposedly it can be lifted upon renewal or if work circumstances change. Anybody have any time frame for Waltham? I assume it will be the full 10 weeks.

Gill is green. It was suggested by LEO that my daughter take the course just so she could be covered with any firearm.
I've had no problems on renewals over the years.

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Just took the wife to Natick PD for her first-time application. No letters of recommendation, no doctor's notes, none of that garbage. Application, ID, proof-of-residence, and 100 bucks. Wrote 'All Lawful Purposes' on the application, and that's what was put into the computer. Licensing officer was very friendly. The whole process took 30-40 minutes, start to finish. Was told it will be at least eight weeks due to high volume.

Will update when she receives the licence.

On a separate note, I renewed in Saugus about a year-and-a-half ago. No problems there either. My restricted LTC-A from Chicopee was expiring; Tom Coogan (licensing officer, and a decent human being) said, "five years with no incidents is good enough for me." Received new LTC-A, no restrictions, 7 weeks later.

Buck.

Last edited:
On a separate note, I renewed in Saugus about a year-and-a-half ago. No problems there either. My restricted LTC-A from Chicopee was expiring; Tom Coogan (licensing officer, and a decent human being) said, "five years with no incidents is good enough for me." Received new LTC-A, no restrictions, 7 weeks later.

Buck.

I no longer live in Saugus, but when I did, they were fine...ALP...Green. At that time I dealt with Lt. Putnam.

Revere does grant the LTC no restrictions, but after a one year probation period with restrictions, however I hear that if you accidentally drop money out of your pocket in the right Revere politician's office you'll get no restrictions ASAP. Good ole' city politics.

Revere does grant the LTC no restrictions, but after a one year probation period with restrictions, however I hear that if you accidentally drop money out of your pocket in the right Revere politician's office you'll get no restrictions ASAP. Good ole' city politics.

That's a bold accusation. Contact the FBI and state police if this is true.

My town is NOT green. You can not call a town that takes 8 weeks and still sitting on an approval a green town. You couldn't have a cleaner record then mine and my fiance's. I was an aux LEO as a younger man and had an ltc for 10 years. Now i'm trying to renew and Whitman has sat on our apps for EIGHT WEEKS. Someone might want to change that town to something other then green. What a disgrace.

My town is NOT green. You can not call a town that takes 8 weeks and still sitting on an approval a green town. You couldn't have a cleaner record then mine and my fiance's. I was an aux LEO as a younger man and had an ltc for 10 years. Now i'm trying to renew and Whitman has sat on our apps for EIGHT WEEKS. Someone might want to change that town to something other then green. What a disgrace.

The color codes represent restrictions only, they have nothing to do with wait times.

Relax dude! As Revelation said, the colors represent weather or not restrictions are imposed. Though I feel your pain in waiting 8 weeks, there are others who have posted that would have gladly waited 8 weeks instead of receiving restrictions or flat out denials.

No offense but that is the silliest comment I've heard. To say "relax-it's only been 2 months" is crazy. Are you telling me that that's what is has come down to? People saying "yes sir, may I have another?" I stand by my post. If a city or town is playing games, they aren't green.

No offense but that is the silliest comment I've heard. To say "relax-it's only been 2 months" is crazy. Are you telling me that that's what is has come down to? People saying "yes sir, may I have another?" I stand by my post. If a city or town is playing games, they aren't green.

You totally re-aranged what I wrote. Read it again.

Being "green" is well defined in the context of this thread. There is another thread dedicated to wait times. All of it sucks, but in this case when I was new I was glad to see that my town was green, but disappointed to see that they were also slow. Making them red on this thread would have done nothing to show me the full picture of what the process would be like once I got the ball rolling.

So I completed my basic firearms training last night at Middleboro Gun Shop. The instructor absolutely insisted that "All lawful purposes" should be put on the app. I've been told that won't cut it anymore, especially in New Bedford, where I'll be applying. Anyone have any personal experience with this?

Being "green" is well defined in the context of this thread. There is another thread dedicated to wait times. All of it sucks, but in this case when I was new I was glad to see that my town was green, but disappointed to see that they were also slow. Making them red on this thread would have done nothing to show me the full picture of what the process would be like once I got the ball rolling.

BINGO!!

The definitions for this thread are I post ONE, more people should actually read it.

So I completed my basic firearms training last night at Middleboro Gun Shop. The instructor absolutely insisted that "All lawful purposes" should be put on the app. I've been told that won't cut it anymore, especially in New Bedford, where I'll be applying. Anyone have any personal experience with this?

I can't tell you about New Bedford, but a friend of mine put that down in her letter and she got her license last week. My wife put it down in her letter and the licensing officer didn't say anything to her. She should be hearing on her application any day now, but I don't anticipate any problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't tell you about New Bedford, but a friend of mine put that down in her letter and she got her license last week. My wife put it down in her letter and the licensing officer didn't say anything to her. She should be hearing on her application any day now, but I don't anticipate any problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's hope that's the case here. Calling at lunch to figure out everything I'll need to bring in. Thanks.

I just got my LTC A last night from local PD, & all I put on my application was "all lawful purposes."

Swampscott, interview on Jan 2nd, state activated the license on Feb 27th, then local PD mailed it to me & it arrived 3.12. All in all a relatively painless process. Played little league as a child with the officer who "interviewed" me, so we didn't even discuss the reasoning for license.

Why is dartmouth highlighted and green? Its both im assuming......

- - - Updated - - -

Because the little info we had in the past was positive. There have been reports that they will not be issuing non-restricted LTC's, but no one has come forward and supplied first hand information yet. I don't change the colors because of a friend of a friends info, I try to limit it to first hand experience whenever possible.

Well u can deffinatly take the green off dartmouth, officialy been 2 months since ive had my interview and all my info is sitting at the station not being entered into the computer. I just got off the phone with DCJIS and a very nice and helpful woman named angie told me it was still in the "draft phase" and my local pd hasnt even done as much as entered it into the computer. If anyone wants to chime in as to wat i can do to make as big a stink over this as i can please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom