Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using reasons such as "all lawful purposes" is a needlessly risky gamble, as is saying only "unrestricted".

Well, that would depend on what works and what doesn't in a particular town (that old "practical" angle, again). The licensing officer here used to routinely tell anybody who asked to just put "All lawful purposes" in the "reason" space. Would you have recommend going against his instructions?

Ken

Well, that would depend on what works and what doesn't in a particular town (that old "practical" angle, again). The licensing officer here used to routinely tell anybody who asked to just put "All lawful purposes" in the "reason" space. Would you have recommend going against his instructions?

Ken

Yes, I certainly would.

Licensing officers change, as the world does. Departments, and licensing officers, have been known to tighten their firearms license issuing polices without any advance notice to would-be applicants.

I'd hate to have one of my client's applications turned down when he used a near meaningless phrase that worked in the past when they could have given compelling reasons based on their personal need to carry a firearm for personal protection.

Better safe than a bit lazy, complacent, and sorry.

Southampton (RED). I finnaly got my ALP when i renewed but they make you jump through hoops and wont give it if he does not think you NEED it.

Dont know about any other towns but here if you are applying for a Class A-ALP you need to give a notarized affadavit with your application explaining why you think you need an ALP-LTC.

Last edited:
Recently received my LTC - A with no restrictions in Tewksbury. Found the whole process to be quite easy. Definitely would say that Tewksbury is green.

Also, took advantage of MA tax-free weekend, and bought the S&W M&P 9mm Compact at Four Seasons. The place was packed!! I am surprised to see that the M&P does not have an external safety, given the tough restrictions that gun manufacturers must meet in MA. Anyways, really looking forward to firing it in a few weeks at the Andover Sportsmen's Club.

Just received my LTC (no restrictions) renewal in Kingston. Took about 4 weeks. Very pleasant by the book experience. Different chief this time, but same results. I would say Kingston is green.

Confirming Billerica is green.

8/07, received Class A no restrictions on first try with no fanfare.

Dope

Berlin is Green

Confirming that Berlin remains green under the new chief.

Put in for my renewal late July. Just picked up my renewed LTC-A. Used to be "For all lawful purposes." Now it's "Restrictions: None".

The sergeant apologized for the delay, saying that the state was taking a long time to get back to them.

So far my experience in Plainville has been quite positive. I submitted my application in late August, got printed last week, and put in MIRCS today. Everybody has been pleasant in the process. I am told my license will be ready in about 2 weeks.

Last week I submitted a letter to the Chief explaining my request for ALP. I hope to get some play because I am now in EMS and had a LTC for Protection in the past while I was working in Criminal Justice. Plus, I received some excellent advise from one of the prominent attorneys on the board.

The chief hasn't decided on the letter yet, but the woman who was processing my app said I could call her next week and she would let me know.

I want to get a .22 before anything else, mostly because of the cost of ammunition which is skyrocketing. I was looking at a Berretta Cheetah Model 87 but figured out it's not on the approved list. So the S&W 41 looks like an equally good firearm, but I need to have it in my hands to know if it's right for me.

I live in Waltham and I've been told that the CLEO (now out and we're awaiting a new appointee) didn't like Claa-A No restriction permits. I got mine renewed as a LEO witout trouble, but I'm wondering how the average citizen would do.

Since the demise of Scoog class A licenses have been freely issued in Carver but i hear through the grapevine that they have changed the Administrative Sargent issuing them and I have not heard how he is.

Most people don't have stalkers intent on finding and killing them, although certainly some do. It's easy for me to avoid trouble spots, so I don't really need to carry concealed. I just would rather have the gun on me than leave it unattended in the car if I wanted to add other activities around my target practice.

I wish there were a way of expressing this as an option for a license.

Last edited:
Most people don't have stalkers intent on finding and killing them, although certainly some do. It's easy for me to avoid trouble spots, so I don't really need to carry concealed. I just would rather have the gun on me than leave it unattended in the car if I wanted to add other activities around my target practice.

Thats one of the biggest reassons I want to carry concealed. I know myself and feel more comfortable concealed that having someone break into my vechical and steal my gun.Its just as you said "I just would rather have the gun on me than leave it unattended in the car"

It's called "Class A - All Lawful Purposes". [wink]

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I started reading up on NH and Maine Law, which is still a bit confusing but is seemingly a lot more gun friendly even to out of state residents.

So, if I get a restricted license, I may just have to plan for my day of fun to take place out of state...with my kewl new guns and rifles.

USMCPhotog...you're north of Boston, that's an easy trip for you.
and dwarven....very funny!!! [crying]

Does any have any experience in Somerville? I'm getting ready to file my app shortly.

Somerville is red, last I knew. I know at least one person offhand
who moved in from out of state, had an ALP-nonres for about a
year beforehand, and then when he moved in and signed up for
the resident license there they didn't care and gave him an H+T
restricted permit.

-Mike

So you can give them another way of restricting you? I don't
get it. Actually, the way the system is now, they can enter
virtually any restriction they want... an anti town could type in the
box "ONLY ON SUNDAYS" and it'd be legally valid restriction. [rolleyes]

-Mike

So you can give them another way of restricting you? I don't
get it. Actually, the way the system is now, they can enter
virtually any restriction they want... an anti town could type in the
box "ONLY ON SUNDAYS" and it'd be legally valid restriction. [rolleyes]

-Mike

I see your point, but some chiefs just don't want civilians walking around armed, 2nd ammendment be damned. It's unfair for the people who really are qualified and suitable, everybody should be treated equally under the law.

Thats one of the biggest reassons I want to carry concealed. I know myself and feel more comfortable concealed that having someone break into my vechical and steal my gun.Its just as you said "I just would rather have the gun on me than leave it unattended in the car"

A lot of us on the board here could never do that. It's kinda hard
to conceal multiple handguns, a Mosin, and an M1 garand under
your coat. [laugh] I don't think I've ever gone to the range
with just ONE handgun. Actually, the first day my LTC was activated
I had two handguns at the range with me!

Edit: FWIW, those with restricted licenses can still carry guns, just not
loaded, and IIRC they must be in a secure container. So just get a range
bag/suitcase that locks, fries are done.

-Mike

So far my experience in Plainville has been quite positive. I submitted my application in late August, got printed last week, and put in MIRCS today. Everybody has been pleasant in the process. I am told my license will be ready in about 2 weeks.

Last week I submitted a letter to the Chief explaining my request for ALP. I hope to get some play because I am now in EMS and had a LTC for Protection in the past while I was working in Criminal Justice. Plus, I received some excellent advise from one of the prominent attorneys on the board.

The chief hasn't decided on the letter yet, but the woman who was processing my app said I could call her next week and she would let me know.

I want to get a .22 before anything else, mostly because of the cost of ammunition which is skyrocketing. I was looking at a Berretta Cheetah Model 87 but figured out it's not on the approved list. So the S&W 41 looks like an equally good firearm, but I need to have it in my hands to know if it's right for me.

Good Luck. I've not heard good things about getting an ALP in Plainville. When we were looking at Houses, and thinking that we couldn't afford to stay in North, I told my wife that in no way would I move into Plainville. But that was based on what I've heard. I was lucky to find a great house still in North, so it was a non issue.

But, I hope that you get your ALP. Please keep us posted.

Good Luck. I've not heard good things about getting an ALP in Plainville. When we were looking at Houses, and thinking that we couldn't afford to stay in North, I told my wife that in no way would I move into Plainville. But that was based on what I've heard. I was lucky to find a great house still in North, so it was a non issue.

But, I hope that you get your ALP. Please keep us posted.

Thank you for your well wishes. When we moved here back in the 1980's I remember walking in for a renewal and walking out with a new card - for Personal Protection - issued by a sergeant. I had an LTC for 12 years previously. I've lived in town for over 20 years without so much as a parking ticket. I'm hearing no ALP on the first try. So the question is... will the chief consider me a first timer or a renewal - he's a different chief.

I just filed my app. for an ltc in Lawrence tonite, and will find out if Im appproved in 6 weeks. WOW!!!! a year ago it was 10 days. not that Im complaining. I'd rather them do it right rather than half-ass.

Well, I just found out from the licensing officer that my permit should be coming in a few days but it will not be ALP. So, I guess Plainville is a RED town, at least from my experience.

Anyway, I already joined GOAL and now will join the NRA, and see how I can become active in making the laws fairer. Thats a start anyway. In the meantime, when life gives you lemons...

Last edited:
Well, I just found out from the licensing officer that my permit should be coming in a few days but it will not be ALP. So, I guess Plainville is a yellow town, at least from my experience.

Anyway, I already joined GOAL and now will join the NRA, and see how I can become active in making the laws fairer. Thats a start anyway. In the meantime, when life gives you lemons...

put it in ur iced tea..... lol.

how long ago did u apply?

put it in ur iced tea..... lol.

how long ago did u apply?

First contact with PD August 23. I guess MIRCS is pretty quick for the initial application, but any delay is due to administrative activities locally. For examaple, my town processes them in batches as opposed to immediately when received.

The PD was very nice, very professional. Handling things fairly promptly. The restriction bites a little bit, I've lived a good life for nearly 50 years and thought I'd get some play, but whatever. The permit will be available by next week, and I'll make the most of it.

Good luck with your effort.

yea the restriction does stink a lil, but after five years when you renew you can get the ALP right?

I applied and I want the ALP too, not to carry in public but, I use a wheelchair and instead of putting a box on my lap with the chance of it sliding off, I wantted to be able to transport it holsterd from my house to the local range like 2 miles away. but my doctors note says target practice, so Im thinking I have to waite 5 years.

yea the restriction does stink a lil, but after five years when you renew you can get the ALP right?

I applied and I want the ALP too, not to carry in public but, I use a wheelchair and instead of putting a box on my lap with the chance of it sliding off, I wantted to be able to transport it holsterd from my house to the local range like 2 miles away. but my doctors note says target practice, so Im thinking I have to waite 5 years.

The story was that the first issue in my town always has restrictions.

In 5 years, the law can change, the chief can change...In 5 years 1,000,000 Red Chinese could be parachuting down as far as the eyes can see, in which case state lines and target practice restrictions won't be too much of an issue anymore, I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom