Government Ordered Destruction Of All Military Spent Brass

Those last few sentences really sum it up. The .gov has no idea on anything firearms related. The Georgia Arms company is a supplier to LEO's as well as civilians. This is a huge impact on both sides of the equation... and the .gov is simply prodding red hot pokers to each side.

Here is a copy of the email I just sent to my Senators and Rep ( Gregg, Shaheen, and Hodes)

Would you please investigate what prompted this recent political decision to subvert Homeland Securtity and 2nd amendment constitutional rights, as well as destroy many businesses that rely on access to surplus Government materials that are auctioned at Govt Liquidations .com

This decision ( see cut/pasted letter below that I received) is just another example of the Obama administration's effort to find back-door methods of subverting the 2nd amendment of the Constitution. I implore you to dig into this matter, and rectify the situation, and have this incredible and ludicrous decision reversed as quickly as possible.

The Internet forums are "ablaze" with the fury of people and Citizens as they hear about this decision and it's effect on the American public,Homeland Security, Firearms and ammunition related business, and sporting enthusiasts.

This decision is also extremely damaging to our Homeland Security, as thousands of contracts for supplying reloaded ammunition to Police and Security Departments are being cancelled, due to the access to purchase the used Gov't brass being denied by the Democrat Administration.

How foolish they are, destroying our security to achieve their goal of disarming US Citizens.I am convinced that the Voters will add this to the fast growing list of grevances against the Democratic Administration, to be remembered at the polls in 2010 and 2012.

I will also follow this up with a phone call to your Office. Please get back to me as soon as possible on what You will be doing to fix this matter, and to let me know if there is anything I can do to help you work against these damaging Democrat political decision(s).

email is below.
Thanks,

http://www.govliquidation.com

Dear Valued Customer:

Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Guys. Read the following. This has to do with export only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carefully read under SALES.

The DRMS Manual dated February 2009 addresses expended cartridge cases on Page 79:

Quote:
DRMS-I 4160.14
Section 3 - Special Processing

Cartridge Cases (Fired Brass) - Expended

Definition/Description
Ammunition components consisting of cartridge and shell casings are subject to the International Traffic In Arms Regulations set forth in subchapter M of 22 Code of Federal Regulations (22 CFR 120.1. et.seq). Once expended, they are processed as fired brass scrap, with precautions to avoid improper release of unexpended cases.

Policy References/Authority
DOD 4160.21-M and DOD 4160.21-M-1.

Unique Processing Information/How to Manage
Receiving: The ETID/DTID must include the appropriate DEMIL code or clear-text statement for each receipt. The turn-in must contain certification that the residue is inert. Two signatures, a certifier and a verifier are required. Opening sealed/banded containers invalidates the inert certification. DRMOs will inspect what is readily visible (open boxes and drums) to verify the absence of contaminants, such as live rounds. No other level of inspection is required.

NOTE: Not authorized for receipt from DLA Depot Recycling Control Points (RCPs).

Warehousing/Storage: Storage will be accomplished in a properly assigned DEMIL Code “A” or “B” scrap pile.

Reutilization/Transfers/Donations: GSA regional offices are authorized to approve transfer to SASPs, for donation to state and local governments, surplus expended cartridge cases (under .50 caliber) for reloading of the cartridges.

DEMIL: All expended small arms cartridge cases (50 caliber and under) are assigned DEMIL Code “E.” Expended shotgun shell cases are assigned DEMIL Code “A.” Expended artillery cases are assigned DEMIL Code “B.”

Sales: Sales in CONUS are authorized for casings 50 caliber and under (to satisfy local/reloading market/demand only). The appropriate sales method will be determined based on location, commodity condition, etc. as well as any current, unique sales/scrap processing initiatives that may be in place. End Use Certificates are required for these sales.

Abandonment/Destruction: Used if specifically directed on a case-by-case basis.

Property Accounting: DEMIL performed code “9” is authorized for casings assigned DEMIL Code “E” but no DEMIL is required. No additional unique property accounting required.

While there may have been recent changes, I could not find any notice of subsequent changes to the above.

First , the document you refer to is OUTDATED.....the email with this new decision is dated March 12th...it OVER-RIDES the document you reference.

The NEW directive, as clearly stated in the email, is that cartridge brass is to be DESTROYED.

Additionally, EUC certificate implies many restrictions, including the seller guarantee the product will not be sold to non-us citizen, not sold outside the country, etc....How many businesses are going to risk that...?

Keep up the pressure, and push for complete reversal of the decision....

Update...

So it appears there may be some results already and some "back-pedaling" from the Gov't....

I just looked at the Website for XXXXXXX...and now his Brass is back up and available for sale.....but it looks like the price has increased !!!

it states:

NOTICE
All brass listed below is subject to regulations of the military munitions list.
Consequently, this brass cannot be exported without obtaining an export
license from the U.S. Department of State.

NOTICE
My current brass inventory has been determined OK for sale. All existing
orders will be filled as placed. However, all of the 5.56mm brass has
already sold. I am accepting orders for all other brass, but an still
running 3-4 weeks behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
EUC certificate implies many restrictions, including the seller guarantee the product will not be sold to non-us citizen, not sold outside the country, etc....How many businesses are going to risk that...?

I think that there may be some "back-pedaling" going on, as the fury and anger is starting to be noticed....

Keep up the pressure, don't accept this "modification", and push for complete reversal of the decision....

I agree with this. It has to be spelled out. I am fine with limiting export, but the rules on that have to be spelled out and clearly allow for sales in the US without penalties on those who don't export them.

an update: This morning I spoke in a live chat session to a GovLiquidations.com representative. Below is a transcript. They seemed to genuinely understand our predicament. Please remember, its not GovLiq's fault. Contact your rep/senator ASAP.

chat said:
Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Heidi'

Heidi: Welcome to our live chat service! How may I assist you?

lord1234: hello, can you tell me about the recent rules regarding mutilation of spent brass casings?

lord1234: Do spent brass casings of 5.56, 7.62 and other small arms calibers now have to be mutilated?

Heidi: Unfortunately, the only information I have is that all munitions, regardless of shape or caliber, need to be mutilated.

lord1234: i thought that small arms brass not for export was classified as "class b"?

lord1234: "B MLI (Non-SME) -- Demilitarization not required. Trade Security Controls required at disposition."

lord1234: as I am sure you can understand, there is quite a lot of rumors going around right now about what the correct answer is(though of course govliquidations is the last word)

Heidi: That was correct. But now the DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) is requiring all munitions to be mutilated.

lord1234: was there any reasoning given for that(though i am sure not)

Heidi: Unfortunately, no.

Heidi: More information will be made available as soon as it can and as soon as we know we will inform you as well.

lord1234: thanks

lord1234: I appreciate your help!

Heidi: My pleasure.

First , the document you refer to is OUTDATED.....the email with this new decision is dated March 12th...it OVER-RIDES the document you reference.

The NEW directive, as clearly stated in the email, is that cartridge brass is to be DESTROYED.

Additionally, EUC certificate implies many restrictions, including the seller guarantee the product will not be sold to non-us citizen, not sold outside the country, etc....How many businesses are going to risk that...?

Keep up the pressure, and push for complete reversal of the decision....

Update...

So it appears there may be some results already and some "back-pedaling" from the Gov't....

I just looked at the Website for XXXXXXX...and now his Brass is back up and available for sale.....but it looks like the price has increased !!!

it states:

NOTICE
All brass listed below is subject to regulations of the military munitions list.
Consequently, this brass cannot be exported without obtaining an export
license from the U.S. Department of State.

NOTICE
My current brass inventory has been determined OK for sale. All existing
orders will be filled as placed. However, all of the 5.56mm brass has
already sold. I am accepting orders for all other brass, but an still
running 3-4 weeks behind.

My XXXXXXX. order for 7.62x51 will be going in pronto. After reading this thread the other day I went down into the basement and realized I had much more .223 brass than I thought. Although I would like more. The chill up my spine though was from realizing that I was far shorter on 7.62 brass than I wanted to be - and if this ruling was permanent the price of 7.62/.308 would be going thru the roof.

I consider this a warning shot - let the panic buying continue until the attitudes improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. Just ordered 25,000 .223 once fired. No better time than the present to hoard as much as you can.

havent recieved additional clarification, but this was posted on TheHighRoad today.

additional information, with actual GovtLiquidation employee

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=844248&page=12

GovtLiquidation.com said:
Directive was rescinded at 4:30 this afternoon, thanks to everyone

am sorry you hadn’t been informed –

Word came down that all shells 50 caliber or smaller CAN still be purchased without the mutilation requirement as long as kept in the US.

(As it was in limbo, I did not sent your EUC to Battle Creek until today, also why I have not contacted you for payment until today.)

Thanks!

Arana K. Wolin

Document Verification Supervisor

Government Liquidation, LLC

DOD Surplus, LLC

15051 N Kierland Blvd. #300

Scottsdale, AZ 85254

(480) 609-3306 direct telephone

(480) 596-4480 fax

[email protected]

Last edited:

It looks like good news. Depending who you ask, the policy was either reversed (possibly due to the letter from the two MT senators), or was "misunderstood". I expect there will be an update on the ShootingWire tomorrow.

I'm getting the sense the Obamites are sending up a lot of trial balloons to see which way the wind is blowing on things. This, Holder's comment on a new AWB, the pilot thing, DC gun regs. Happily they're getting immediate static and backing off. Don't get complacent.

unless i read something wrong, the order was reversed as of ~ 4pm today. expended shell cases </= .50BMG are fine if staying in the US, larger must be mutilated.

WE WIN!

*** This post came from an employee of Government Liquidation ***

3/17/09 - 1:45PM Pacific

Originally Posted By Epic_Ed:
.... The facts as I know them, which come directly from candid discussions with my CEO, indicate the following:

- Prior to 11/2008, Demil B items required no mutilation for sale to the public. That policy changed in November, but several exceptions were granted. Expended munitions brass was one of those given a waiver.

- Enter the new administration. Since Demil B category items had been given a broad, general label as "national security sensitive" someone above the DRMS (likely in the DLA) reviewed the policy and immediately went with a CYA policy and yanked all exemptions. No thoughts or considerations were given to the implications of this policy change, but this directive was issued to DOD Surplus effective immediately last week.

- Shit storm blows up as a result. In particular, the letters, phone calls, and emails to our legislators, the media, and anyone else who would listen caused this policy to be review post haste.

- As of this morning our company was informed that expended munitions brass will now be reclassified as Demil Q –– which requires no mutilation unless sold to a foreign country.

WHAT new regulations? When were these regulations passed and by who, and what exactly did they say? And, how was this missed?
I repeat...

I'm getting the sense the Obamites are sending up a lot of trial balloons to see which way the wind is blowing on things. This, Holder's comment on a new AWB, the pilot thing, DC gun regs. Happily they're getting immediate static and backing off. Don't get complacent.

I don't even know half of these, let alone any possible response which you imply by your "immediate static and backing off" statement. Could you elaborate on this?

I repeat...

I don't even know half of these, let alone any possible response which you imply by your "immediate static and backing off" statement. Could you elaborate on this?

Holder makes a comment about reinstating the AWB - negative reaction ensues and Nancy Pelosi makes a statement that congress won't support it.

Recent thread here on blog article re shifting funding away from the armed pilots program and greater difficulty going through the program

Obama's attempt to reverse the CC in Nat'l Parks decision - and the flack it got

lots of little nibbles. No real push. Seems like a series of probes to see what he's got in the way of support.

Wow. In 15 minutes they reversed it?

Goes to show you that it can't hurt to ask.

I'm going to write a letter asking if I no longer have to pay taxes.
I might have to sign it Senator Underwhere though.

I just received a phone call from the office of U.S. Senator Tester of Montana to inform me that at 5:15 (EST) today a letter cosigned by Senator Tester (D-MT) and Senator Baucus (D-MT) was faxed to the Department of Defense asking DoD to reverse its new policy requiring destruction of fired military cartridge brass. At 5:30, I am told, Tester's office received a fax back from DoD saying that the brass destruction policy IS reversed.

I had already put three letters in the mail today, to Rep. Barney Frank, Sen. Kerry, and Obama.
I guess it won't hurt for them to see the reaction to this, even though it's been reversed already.

Wow. In 15 minutes they reversed it?

It helps when one of the two senators faxing their complaint to the DOD is also the head of the senate finance committee. It could be difficult explaining why you need more tax $$ when your are downgrading dollars-per-pound scrap into pennies-per-pound junk.

Back
Top Bottom