• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got LTC but a minor setback

After a little over 3 months (check cashed 3/13) I finally got my LTC class-A in the mail on this past Saturday. So I’ve been saving up $650 to join a club and buy my first handgun off a friend of mine for $500, (a .40 Glock). I get ready to call him Monday afternoon to make sure we were all set for the transaction when my wife calls me first and tells me she got into a "little fender bender" So the $500 I had saved for this gun is now going to my deductible and $110 to towing. What luck, now I have to start over again. Anyone know of a place near the South Shore that rents guns to use at their facilities without having to join?

Thanks, Chris

i got an idea, find a good body shop that will "bury" the deductible. lol. thats what most do. i dont know anyone that has ever actually paid a deductible.

After a little over 3 months (check cashed 3/13) I finally got my LTC class-A in the mail on this past Saturday. So I’ve been saving up $650 to join a club and buy my first handgun off a friend of mine for $500, (a .40 Glock). I get ready to call him Monday afternoon to make sure we were all set for the transaction when my wife calls me first and tells me she got into a "little fender bender" So the $500 I had saved for this gun is now going to my deductible and $110 to towing. What luck, now I have to start over again. Anyone know of a place near the South Shore that rents guns to use at their facilities without having to join?

Thanks, Chris

You could become a supporting member of this site and I'm sure people will take you to the range to let you use their guns.

Also, find a good body shop.

i got an idea, find a good body shop that will "bury" the deductible. lol. thats what most do. i dont know anyone that has ever actually paid a deductible.

Exactly! Most shops are more than willing to work with you. If they don't move on to the next one.

You could become a supporting member of this site and I'm sure people will take you to the range to let you use their guns.

Also, find a good body shop.

+1 To that!

For a few short $$ you can join OUR club and from what I know we are a bunch of generous guys, just put yourself at or around one of our clubs when we are around and you can play with our toys.

I'll be a member as of July 12th. If you want to go shooting before then you can rent time with me at North Attleboro.......buy some ammo and a M4A3 and S&W 1911 .45 is all yours to fire until your blue in the face.

I found a good body shop, my father took all his cars there after my brothers and I first got our licenses. I’m a little reluctant to ask the shop to “bury" the $500 difference (I don’t know, it sounds a little shady).Maybe I’ll have my wife do it after all she’s an at-home mom so she can’t pay for it and making her work for it might be asking for trouble. I’m going to check out AFS, they seem to be reasonable with the prices and have a good learning package for $35.
Thanks all
Chris

Jester, or ask the shop to add 500.00 in work that doesnt really need to be done....dont do the work then BAM, deductible is paid! hahaahha I'm kidding man, dont ever take my advice.

If you want to shoot a .45 S&W 1911 just let me know. The ammo is like 25.00 for 50.00. I have the M4 but the ammo is 10.00 for 20 rounds......your money your choice.

You should be negotiating with the shop for how much you will pay for the work. You will get a check from your insurance and then you need to ask them how much they will charge for the work. Nothing "shady" about negotiating how much you are willing to pay.

I had an accident back in 2003. I had a 500 dollar deductible, and all that happened was whatever they were going to pay, they deducted 500 from that amount. I paid nothing out of pocket. I had to get 3 estimates and they paid the lowest one. The lowest estiamte i was able to find was 4000 to repair the truck. The insurance co gave me a check for 3500. I took the truck to a vocational school, paid 1000 for the parts and the labor was free. I got to keep the rest. Its important to note to talk with the agent and see how your insurance policy works. Mine was set up so after that claim if I had a subsequent claim the 4000 paid would be deducted already. If the vehicle is wort 6000 at the time of the accident. You get paid for 4000 to repair the vehicle your vehicle "value" is reduced to 2000. If you have another accident they will only pay 2000, if the amount to reapair exceeds that, the vehicle will be totaled by them. Most insurance companies have an "inspection" that if conducted they may reset your "value" to what it was before the accident. My agent expalined thats a way to combat fraud. Otherwise you could have an "accident" over and over to keep collecting on the same damage. The inspector will make sure the vehcie has been restored and all items work and its not a stripped out shell.

That was my experience, your insurance might be different or the rules may have changed since then.

Best of luck to you the whole multiple estimates and paperwork can be frustrating. This is the time you will find out how good of an insurance company and agent you really have.

Glad to hear nobody was injured, sheet metal .... er plastic now a days is easy to fix.
Human beings a little harder.

I'm letting the wife take care of all the trouble. I’ve had enough and I'm not loosing any sleep about it so I'm moving on. Thanks for all the suggestions.

T3, I’m in South Plymouth. I was thinking of joining Plymouth Rod & Gun or Monument Beach but due to recent events I’m putting off joining a club till the fall. I'd love to take you up on the offer, thanks.

Chris

+1 on that, a good body shop works for the customer not the insurance company, at the body shop I go to it is called "out of pocket expense" and is usually only $50-$100 bucks

One thing to note, I have seen some clubs charge a yearly due from Jan 1st to Dec 31st. If you pay for a full year and it's in the fall your only getting a few months then you've got to pay for another year within 2 months (or so). Ask the club if they will pro-rate the membership since it may only be valid for a few months if even.

On the other hand I've seen clubs who give you 12 months from when you sign up, regardless of when you sign up.

Back
Top Bottom