Going snubby... LCR vs. SW 442

Which Snubby?

• Ruger LCR

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Smith & Wesson 442

Votes: 61 62.2%

• Total voters
I can't warm up to a polymer frame revolver. The snubby is a work of art and the 642/442's are as classic as they come. Same with the Colt. Wish I had a Colt.

Let's agree that you can't go wrong here. The J frame is a classic beauty. I love every one I've ever seen. Strangely, I've never owned one.

I have had several Rugers however and currently own 2 LCRs. A 38 and a 22lr. I love to shoot them, and that is the important thing for me. Some people say snubbies are meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. I love shooting my Rugers. I will probably buy a 357 LCR when my local guy gets one in.

Hickok45 has a nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmpQqtBAVc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I went to the range today and took my buddy's LCR .38 for a test drive. Now that i've handled, tried on and shot both guns, i think i'm going to go with the Ruger LCR. In fact, i already called the LGS and had them hold on to one for me to pick up this weekend.

Here's what sold me:
*I liked the trigger on the LCR better.
*I liked how rounded it was for CC. As well as the fact that the extractor is shrouded.
*I like the ability to change out the front sight to one that you can actually see (the stock sights on both guns suck balls)
*I liked the grips, it made it way more comfortable to shoot than the J-Frame.

Don't get me wrong, both guns are great and i had a really hard time choosing. These two guns are really awesome for what they are, and i hope to own a S&W 442/642 someday as well.

Thank you all for the helpful input and comments. I really appreciate it. [cheers]

The Smith will loosen up and smooth out the trigger after 500 or so rounds. More grip options on the S&W (I had an earlier LCR) and like my 642 better.

Also, I betcha won't see Munden do this with a LCR

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smith will loosen up and smooth out the trigger after 500 or so rounds. More grip options on the S&W (I had an earlier LCR) and like my 642 better.

Also, I betcha won't see Munden do this with a LCR

Definitely not. Bob died last December. R.I.P.

Bob Munden
Bob Munden, was a world-renowned exhibition shooter with handguns, rifles and shotguns, but is most well known for holding 18 world-records in Fast Draw and holding the title, "Fastest Man with a Gun ... Wikipedia
Born: February 8, 1942, Kansas City, MO
Died: December 10, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately more grip options on the Smith. I didn't like the rubbergrip on mine so I bought the classic walnut. You can get an extra finger on the grip. It is a shocker though. I only use .38 special. Plenty of power and its easier on the hand. The rubber grips tend to stick in your pocket. the wood is easier to grab too. For me anyways.

the wood is easier to grab too. For me anyways.

That's what she said!

I felt the same way about .38. The SW air weight I shot was a .357. I took two shots, emptied the cylinder and went back to .38. Talk about a wrist breaker...

That's what she said!

I felt the same way about .38. The SW air weight I shot was a .357. I took two shots, emptied the cylinder and went back to .38. Talk about a wrist breaker...
I probably wouldn't even try to shoot a .357. The +p's are too much. If I practice with .38 specials then that is what I will use for SD. I shot a model 36 at the range and the recoil with a steel frame is minimal. It seemed more accurate too, but I can only shoot at 50 feet at my range. I'm quite sure the Ruger will be a great companion for you. They make quality stuff.

I probably wouldn't even try to shoot a .357. The +p's are too much. If I practice with .38 specials then that is what I will use for SD. I shot a model 36 at the range and the recoil with a steel frame is minimal. It seemed more accurate too, but I can only shoot at 50 feet at my range. I'm quite sure the Ruger will be a great companion for you. They make quality stuff.

I fired a friend's 340PD with .357 magnum loads. It's even lighter than the airweight and the recoil is brutal. 38 is plenty to fire in an Airweight.

Ergo Grip is coming out with a very nice J frame grip. I handled the prototype at the NRA show and it was very comfortable. I think it will work well with pocket carry.

"Fixing" the trigger pull on the J frame is a matter of replacing the main spring and rebound spring. If you have even just fair mechanical skills and decent gunsmithing tools anyone can do it. There are some very good videos on Youtube and at Brownells that show how to do this spring replacement. Note that you don't need the special rebound spring tool. It does make the job easier, but it's possible with just regular tools and a minimum of caution.

I'll give one warning to anyone considering opening their S&W revolver. Well two. First never, ever, under any circumstances try to pry the side plate off. Remove the screws and use a plastic handled screw driver to tap on the opposite side of the frame. The side plate will pop off. Also, I found it much better to work with the gun in a very large zip lock bag. When parts come loose and fall out, you won't lose them.

Thats a great idea with the bag. I thought about doing a trigger job on mine, but it becomes a liability in the courts. In my opinion trigger pull is irrevelant when you're pumping adrenaline. I like the added safety of a few pounds.

Thats a great idea with the bag. I thought about doing a trigger job on mine, but it becomes a liability in the courts. In my opinion trigger pull is irrevelant when you're pumping adrenaline. I like the added safety of a few pounds.

Trigger jobs are NOT a liability, even in MA! NEVER happens, never will.

I probably wouldn't even try to shoot a .357.

I need some trigger time on an scandium .357 j-frame. On Wednesday I ran 110 rounds of 130gr .38 through a 642, an 20 rounds of 160gr .357 and 50 rounds of 110gr .357 through a 649 with minimal discomfort. Curious if the scandium is tame enough for me to use.

649=steel, scandium=lighter than airweight. You'll break your wrist!! Seriously, of course you can shoot it, but you'll want to stop a little sooner than you usually do.

Hey, if I can run 50ish rounds through it before a short break, that's OK by me.

The only reason I stopped shooting the 649 was that the cylinder got too hot to handle. Figured that was the sign it was time to go home and get the kids their lunch.

Hey, if I can run 50ish rounds through it before a short break, that's OK by me.

The only reason I stopped shooting the 649 was that the cylinder got too hot to handle. Figured that was the sign it was time to go home and get the kids their lunch.

Yup, just stop when you start bleeding. [wink]

Works for me. It's like setting a timer, but stickier.

Seriously, though... I'm guessing that magna stocks or boot grips with an exposed backstrap probably feel like hitting the web of your hand with a ball-peen hammer. When you've fired a scandium .357, did you use a CrimsonTrace grip or something with less padding?

Works for me. It's like setting a timer, but stickier.

Seriously, though... I'm guessing that magna stocks or boot grips with an exposed backstrap probably feel like hitting the web of your hand with a ball-peen hammer. When you've fired a scandium .357, did you use a CrimsonTrace grip or something with less padding?

CT grips AND padded shooting gloves. Blood from my middle finger (under the trigger guard), and the webbing between thumb and forefinger. I don't think I could make it through a box of 50!

Trigger jobs are NOT a liability, even in MA! NEVER happens, never will.

Totally disagree. You may survive criminal prosecutor trying to hang a manslaughter charge on you due to negligent accidental discharge, even though you claim you fired in delf defense. Your fate will depend upon which lawyer persuaded the jury, even though there is no law specifying what a trigger pull is or isn't. However.

You will get hosed in civil case. If your umbrella policy insures you against negligent acts, then the plaintiff's atty is going to bring out a parade of expert witnesses who will state that your modified trigger caused a negligent and accidental shooting even though you claim the shooting was willful, intentional and necessary. Who is the jury going to believe. The factory's manufactured and recommended trigger pull weight is the prevailing standard of care and also common custom and practice If you have modified that, without an expert's recommendation, then you have just made the plaintiff's case.

Moral of the story is don't modify the trigger of your EDC. OJ got off.

I have both and I think the main difference is the natural point of aim. One of them will point better for you. IF you don't know how to test the POA let me know.

Good luck.

Totally disagree. You may survive criminal prosecutor trying to hang a manslaughter charge on you due to negligent accidental discharge, even though you claim you fired in delf defense. Your fate will depend upon which lawyer persuaded the jury, even though there is no law specifying what a trigger pull is or isn't. However.

You will get hosed in civil case. If your umbrella policy insures you against negligent acts, then the plaintiff's atty is going to bring out a parade of expert witnesses who will state that your modified trigger caused a negligent and accidental shooting even though you claim the shooting was willful, intentional and necessary. Who is the jury going to believe. The factory's manufactured and recommended trigger pull weight is the prevailing standard of care and also common custom and practice If you have modified that, without an expert's recommendation, then you have just made the plaintiff's case.

Can you cite any civil cases where trigger pull has been used as evidence by a plaintiff to win a judgement against a defendant? For years I've heard this, but have yet to see evidence to confirm this assertion. I will still classify it as urban legend, until I see it.

The fact is, that a modified trigger could very well be a factor in a negligent discharge. At that point you're in deep doo-doo anyway, especially if you shoot someone, trigger job or not. Do you realize how many firearms are out there with "trigger jobs". The local gunsmiths are making a good portion of their income on trigger work. Would you take that work away from them? What about the hundreds of kits available? The manufacture of the kits is putting people to work. With a good percentage of these companies, that's all they do. They would be in serious trouble if no one was buying them out of fear of liability.

Have you shot an M&P(9 or .40), or a new J-frame. My 642 had a measured pull weight of 15.1 lbs. from the factory!! I had great difficulty, with my arthritis, getting through a cylinder full. With a modified trigger, at least I stand a chance now, in a self defense scenario.

I can see your argument, but I don't think it brings me to the point of advising any shooter against one. I will continue to promote them vigorously.

Can you cite any civil cases where trigger pull has been used as evidence by a plaintiff to win a judgement against a defendant? For years I've heard this, but have yet to see evidence to confirm this assertion. I will still classify it as urban legend, until I see it.

The fact is, that a modified trigger could very well be a factor in a negligent discharge. At that point you're in deep doo-doo anyway, especially if you shoot someone, trigger job or not. Do you realize how many firearms are out there with "trigger jobs". The local gunsmiths are making a good portion of their income on trigger work. Would you take that work away from them? What about the hundreds of kits available? The manufacture of the kits is putting people to work. With a good percentage of these companies, that's all they do. They would be in serious trouble if no one was buying them out of fear of liability.

Have you shot an M&P(9 or .40), or a new J-frame. My 642 had a measured pull weight of 15.1 lbs. from the factory!! I had great difficulty, with my arthritis, getting through a cylinder full. With a modified trigger, at least I stand a chance now, in a self defense scenario.

I can see your argument, but I don't think it brings me to the point of advising any shooter against one. I will continue to promote them vigorously.

I hear you with the arthritus Bill. After about 50 rounds my knuckle aches for several days.

How about.. Sorry, I don't have the strength to pull a 20lb trigger, even with both hands?

Back
Top Bottom