• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going 1911

I don't think it is. The STI spartan [STRIKE=was]is[/STRIKE] was made by Armscor, using STI internals. You can tell its a Armscor gun. I don't think STI is making guns for other companies

STI killed the Spartan. The Trojan is now the entry level STI 1911.

ETA: SJan beat me to it.

I have a S&W,Springfield Armory and a RIA. The only problem I have had is the trigger spring broke on the RIA had it replaced and its been fine since. The RIA has a non supported barrel the S&W and SA have a fully supported barrel.

Last edited:
Ruger has a 1911 in 9 mm,it's a commander style with an aluminum frame but it's not Ma complaint as of yet. Price should be in the 650-700 if it's Ma approved.

I have this twisted idea of a 1911 with a paddle magazine release like my plastic Walther and HK pistols.

If it is at all like my RIA .45 ACP 1911 commander (and the others) you will love it.
Maybe I should look into a 9mm to join my .45 Filipinas
Hmmm....

QB if as you say you are buying something just for the sake of having something different, while staying within your typical Glock budget, then the RIA is probably an excellent solution given that criteria. However as others have stated, and I am sure you understand anyway, having more options is going to mean parting with more dough.

Last spring I got a new Sig Sauer 1911 Traditional - Stainless Match Elite in 9mm. I paid $1045. for it, which like you is more than I intended when the notion first entered my head to get 9mm 1911, but I do not regret the purchase for a minute. This pistol has been super fun to shoot all summer, and I have gotten almost as much satisfaction out of showing it off and letting friends who have never shot a 9mm 1911 have a go with it.

Swapped out the stock Hogue wood grip for wood/G20 composite grips from LOK and it is a striking looking pistol.

Sig-1911T-9-SME_1.jpg

Good luck with what every you end up with, I am sure you will have fun.

Last edited:
I've got an RIA 1911 with a full rail in 45. Shoots great, no problems. Is it as good as my old Sig or S&W 1911? Yeah. I sold those because I am not that into 1911s, but at the RIA price I don't regret the investment. In 9mm, it'd be pretty good I bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am a big 1911 fanboy but from my experience with 1911s I feel like the guns under 1000-1200 dollars just aren't worth getting. They aren't anymore accurate than a modern handgun, the triggers aren't very good, and most importantly they don't hold up to 10s of 1000s of rounds like a quality 1911 will. If my budget was under $1000 I would buy a polymer handgun cause TBH it will just plain be a better gun than a budget 1911.

If your just buying it cause you like it then cool.. but a $600 dollar 1911 is big, heavy, low capacity, and your really not getting any of the advantages of a quality 1911.

If I was gonna buy a production gun Id start with a Colt. If you can't afford it then wait..

If I had a $600 budget for a 9mm 1911, I'd buy a .45 and load 185's with Titegroup or Clays to minor power factor.

So i picked up from a great store and immediately did a full tear down and cleaning , i removed the flared mag well on the grip to make it smaller.

few things.. the safety is very sharp on the edges so i will have to grind and radius the edges with a dremel, and make them smoother. and the beavertail safety needs a little fit and finish , but i will worry about all this later as wearing some mechanix gloves makes it easy to hold and handle so for now the gloves will work.

the gun itself is amazing, you feel the heft and the rail makes it look great. the sights a nice and the trigger is amazing. so light , and with the adjustable trigger screw it will be easy to take out all the over travel.

loading magazines is a problem by hand , but easy with a magula loader.. i had originally though the mag would be the weak point because the mag length is longer than the 9mm it is just that way because they are 38 super mags which allow me a variety of mags to buy. but after hand cycling federal HST hollow points and not have a single hangup, or slowing of the slide i felt at ease . the grips are a mother F'er on your bare skin though.. i don't think i would want a long range session without gloves that is for sure lol..

now just need to find some 22 tcm ammo and see a fireball come of this gun with the other barrel.

Always gotta be careful on reassembly not to get the famous "idiot scratch" installing the slide stop lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better put a case through it before you trust your life a bargain 1911. Hope you get lucky and it runs well.

well of course , but it is a good sign as i rack it with less force than recoil.

regardless this 1911 will never replace my glock 19 carry / HD , it is a range toy, and my only non glock pistol in my collection. :) but it is awesome .

I have been wanting to go 1911, but trying to find a Colt New Agent. Call it corny, but I want one of the Dead Pool done up versions

Back
Top Bottom