• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL's Jim Wallace to run for NRA Board!

G

GOAL C.M.

GOAL’s Executive Director will Run for NRA Board

Jim will be on the ballot to run for BOD of the NRA. The voting will take place late this year, we will post up here when the ballots are out, please keep an eye out for the ballot, and please consider voting for Jim.

Jim Wallace, Executive Director of Gun Owners’ Action League is announcing his intention to run for the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association.

“I have spent nearly ten years now professionally representing the interests of lawful gun owners and sportsmen in Massachusetts in what is certainly a Second Amendment battle ground state,” said Jim Wallace. “In that time I believe I have gained the knowledge and experience that could be of value to the NRA on the national front.”

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be supporting Jim and it will be an honor to fill out the form, however, unless he's "nominating committee recommended", the candidacy is a longshot. Do you know if he will be able to get this endorsement?

I will be supporting Jim and it will be an honor to fill out the form, however, unless he's "nominating committee recommended", the candidacy is a longshot. Do you know if he will be able to get this endorsement?

Good question Rob. This "vote" is just that, to get the nomination committee endorsement, so that he can run for election.

We don't expect to "lose" Jim at all, if anything this will help level the playing field so to speak when it comes to MA politics, and the fight for Civil Rights. As I like to say it is a "win win"

Thank you everyone for your support, please check those magazines for the nominations!

Good question Rob. This "vote" is just that, to get the nomination committee endorsement, so that he can run for election.

My understanding is that one can get on the ballot by petition, but the "nominating committee" is a committee that makes a subjective judgment as to who they wish to see win. A primary requirement of being "nominating committee" endorsed is creating confidence you will not rock the boat, fuel any controversy about how NRA spends its money or hires contractors, or make any meaningful changes to the NRA strategy. Being "generally famous" also helps tremendously, as the committee loves to have congressmen, judges, celebrities, retired generals, etc. on the board. Jim may or may not qualify under the "famous" label.

The fact that the NRA has decided to "write off" MA may cause the nominating committee to consider it not in the best interests of the org to seat a director might work to change that (ie, rock the boat).

Some years ago, the NRA also published a "Winning Team" set of instructions telling members who to vote for, but there was a NY case brought by some persons not on the "winning team" that substantially modified that practice.

There was an initiative a few years ago to provide for the election of one director from every state. Unfortunately, this failed, or Jim would be a slam dunk.

Jim's fate in this election rests with the nominating committee and general membership - MA or NES votes are not going to make it happen. Mike Yacino ran a few years ago but even with his well known name was not able to win a seat. If Jim loses this one, it will not be due to the lack of my vote.

Last edited:
If Jim gets in, I will re-up in the NRA. Otherwise it's just GOAL at this point.

Good luck.

Jim will surely get my vote, though I'd hate to lose him. Is this a paid position, or a volunteer thing?

Having Jim on the NRA board can only benefit GOAL.

In addition to submitting his papers, does the GOAL strategy team want members to write letters to the nominating committee (which, for all practical purposes, is where the election winners are selected)

I know how you guys feel. We all would hate to lose Jim. I've gotta say I'd vote for him even if he goes. He's done a lot here and it would be a shame and selfish of us to try to hold him down. Good luck, Jim.

The way that most corporate BODs work is:

- BOD Members do NOT live where the corporate HQ is (VA),
- They fly in for BOD meetings and are typically reimbursed travel expenses,
- Some corporations pay a stipend to BOD members ($10-20K is what I've seen in the past, but it does vary) or per meeting attended,
- It's a status thing, not a paid job,
- BODs only get to vote on the "30,000 foot overview" of what the corporation does. They do NOT get involved in day-to-day operational issues or even the direction of same. I was a BOD member of a real non-profit for a few years and this is from experience. [NOTE: I was also a BOD member of two gun clubs and two LE orgs where the BOD made all significant decisions, but they don't operate as real corporations do.]

So I would expect that if Jim was elected, he'd be called out of town occasionally for NRA business, but it shouldn't significantly impact his day-to-day job of fighting the crooks on Bacon Hill!

Back
Top Bottom