GOAL response re: Fitchburg PD

FrugalFannie

NES Member
This is what I emailed to Jim Wallace at GOAL the other day

"Dear Jim,
I was wondering if anyone at GOAL is looking into the Fitchburg PD chief's comments. Is he within his rights to 'review' license holders? If one town gets away with this, others will follow.
Debra Grumbach
member GOAL, NRA"

His Response
"Debra,

We discussed this at last night’s GOAL Board meeting and are going to reach out to the officials for a meeting.

James L. Wallace

Executive Director

Gun Owners' Action League

www.goal.org

www.MassGunLawReform.com"

Just though you guys would like to know.

Please if your not a member of GOAL spend the few dollars and become one. These are the people fighting for OUR rights. They do much more than we can do ourselves. They need our support.

We discussed this at last night’s GOAL Board meeting and are going to reach out to the officials for a meeting.

Well, we'll see how that works out. There's nothing stopping these "officials" from doing whatever they want.

I think you would do better to reach out for some rope. But that's just me.

I'm sure GOAL will do what it can. But, you guys in Fitchburg need to get on the phone to your councilmen, alderman, mayor, or whatever you have there and let them know that you're being railroaded. Get your neighbors to call. Call two or three times. You've gotta roar! The Chief needs a good arm twisting.

Last edited:
I'm sure GOAL will do what it can. But, you guys in Fitchburg need to get on the phone to your councilmen, alderman, mayor, or whatever you have there and let them know that you're being railroaded. Get your neighbors to call. all two or three times. You've gotta roar! The Chief needs a good arm twisting.

+1 GOAL is going to try to help but the residents of Fitchburg can't sit back and hope GOAL can stop this. You guys need to take action now...

+ + The power is in your hands good people of Fitchburg, be pro-active, make calls, take a stand, it's ridiculous that responsible citizens are being held accountable and blamed for the actions of a couple of criminals.

I am going to fire off some hand-signed letters to the appropriate people... I doubt the mayor and the chief will give a rats ass, but I may try my hand with some of the councilors, which I think might be more effective.

It may ultimately be like pissing into the wind- but you know what they say- nothing ventured, nothing gained....

-Mike

+1 GOAL is going to try to help but the residents of Fitchburg can't sit back and hope GOAL can stop this. You guys need to take action now...

+1000!

It's the voters that can strike fear into the hearts of the ELECTED politicians in that town.

I am going to fire off some hand-signed letters to the appropriate people... I doubt the mayor and the chief will give a rats ass, but I may try my hand with some of the councilors, which I think might be more effective.

It may ultimately be like pissing into the wind- but you know what they say- nothing ventured, nothing gained....

-Mike

You'd be surprised. It took time but one GOAL BOD member went on a jihad and the end results were:

- Replacement of 2 selectmen in Carver . . . who then turned up the heat under Chief Skoog, causing her to resign and ALP became the norm.

- More recently, put the heat on in Quincy, causing the chief to retire a few years early. Don't know if the mayor was replaced or not, but bottom line is that ALP is the norm now for anyone >25 yo.

So, GOAL CAN DO this to Fitchburg if the citizens do as they are asked and apply heat to the politicians.

GOAL is a catalyst, but they can't do it all by themselves.

Send those emails folks. I already heard back from Marcus DiNatale. Here's what he said:

Thank you for your comments. I agree that there are enough laws on the books that require stricter enforcement and a complete ban or restriction probably won't solve anything. This is evident in D.C., where a handgun ban across the board actually led to an increase in violent crime. I will be speaking with the chief on this topic next week. I would be more than happy to share what I learn with you.

~Councilor DiNatale

Send those emails folks. I already heard back from Marcus DiNatale. Here's what he said:

Thank you for your comments. I agree that there are enough laws on the books that require stricter enforcement and a complete ban or restriction probably won't solve anything. This is evident in D.C., where a handgun ban across the board actually led to an increase in violent crime. I will be speaking with the chief on this topic next week. I would be more than happy to share what I learn with you.

~Councilor DiNatale

Nice job!!! Guy sounds like a shooter!

Seems the Chief might have a problem. I got another responce. This from Dean Tran, Councilor at large. Here it is:

I hear you loud and clear and I share the same stance. I will be very vocal if and when the chief decides to pursue this.

Take care,
Dean

Last edited:
Here's a link to a web page with all of the Fitchburg elected officials email addys. Feel free to vent. Try to be courteous, brief and accurate. Nice to get a tidal wave going, huh?
http://www.ci.fitchburg.ma.us/counlist.html

Edit: I emailed them all.

BTT

You can email your concerns to the City Fathers even if you're not a resident of Fitchburg, although it helps. It is not necessary to state your home address or phone number in your email, especially if you're a non-resi. Would be nice if they got a pile of informative messages.

We're working on it. As usual with the legislators coming back things went from 0-100.

As soon as we have some info we'll pass it along. Thanks for bumping it.

City Council is the way to approach it. Get friends there and they tell the chief which way the wind blows. Keep it civil and factual. Right now is not the time to come out beating drums and marching. Lets save that for when the hints are not heeded.

Jon and Jim will present a good case, but they can't represent the residents as well as the residents can. It doesn't matter if you've never written a letter before in your life. Just keep it simple and factual.

Something quick and straight forward like this:

Dear Councilor,

I'm a resident of Fitchburg and have been a firearms enthusiast for [X] years. I enjoy [Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun - choose one or more] sports and also have a carry permit (if you have an LTC, you have a 'carry' permit). Recent statements from our Police Chief, Robert DeMoura, have me concerned. His promise to make obtaining a license more difficult seems like a poor way to control crime. Why would anyone want to spend valuable police resources hassling citizens who are the most law abiding of all? Sure, there are going to be occasional problems, but on the whole, gun owners who get a license don't commit crimes.

With so many other issues in Fitchburg to concentrate on Chief DeMoura should abide by the recommendation of the Mass Chiefs of Police and if an applicant comes back with a clean record, issue only Class A with no restrictions. This places the least burdens on the citizens while still protecting the city because unrestricted licenses by law are only valid for "Lawful Purposes".

Please remind the Chief that the bulk of Fitchburg's residents are good people and while he might deal more with the criminal minority, that should not prejudice him against allowing Fitchburg's citizens their full rights under the law.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

One paragraph to introduce yourself and state your concern. One paragraph to set the expectations. One paragraph to define immediate action. Quick, simple, and to the point.

Dean Tran is a good guy. I spoke to him a couple of years ago about gun control he seemed to be on the fence because of some stuff that had happen to him personally growing up. It's good to see he is on the right side of the issue.

Back
Top Bottom