Gmconn Amazon cheap Chinese lights

Anyone have experience with these ultra cheap weaponlights? Good for secondary nightstand gun, would you trust it? Yeah yeah it's Chinese made so thumbs down but how can you really F up making a CNC aluminum flashlight host with a drop in Cree LED? Is it really worth paying $400 for a made in USA (with foreign sourced parts) Surefire?

Gmconn Tactical Flashlight Pistol Light Rail Mounted 600 Lumens Small Size Weapon Lights with Strobe Function for Handgun Fits Picatinny MIL-STD-1913 (Black) Amazon product ASIN B09LM3YWYZView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LM3YWYZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_PM55GEVVRPJC60VJVT8H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You can easily f*** it up when you consider that f***ing it up can cause your house to burn down. [rofl]

ETA: At $30 there is no chance in hell I would have one of those in my house or car without the batteries removed.

I have a drawer full of flashlights. One thing I’ve noticed is that some of the middle of the road brand ones work fine for a while then just randomly stop. Look at the stream light for maybe twice that price and it will serve you well.

Don’t trust your life to gear that will eventually let you down.

The technology and manufacturing for most lights could probably result in a price point closer to this one, including all the big names out there on the market that charge premium dollars. However, the difference is in trusted reliability. All the Surefires of the market have proven themselves in duty use. This $30 light could work, or maybe it dies right when you hear a glass break in your house. Some like that notion of reliability and warranty, and will pay extra for it. I suppose the answer is in your personal level of risk tolerance and your use case scenario.

That aside, I'm a little skeptical about the stats. 600 lumens & 113 meters for 2 hours? At least one of those figures is wrong.

Anyone have experience with these ultra cheap weaponlights? Good for secondary nightstand gun, would you trust it? Yeah yeah it's Chinese made so thumbs down but how can you really F up making a CNC aluminum flashlight host with a drop in Cree LED? Is it really worth paying $400 for a made in USA (with foreign sourced parts) Surefire?

Gmconn Tactical Flashlight Pistol Light Rail Mounted 600 Lumens Small Size Weapon Lights with Strobe Function for Handgun Fits Picatinny MIL-STD-1913 (Black) Amazon product ASIN B09LM3YWYZView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LM3YWYZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_PM55GEVVRPJC60VJVT8H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Why would you skinflint on something your life might depend on. Think about it.

How much is your life worth? ... if it is worth sh*t, then go for it.

Not attacking you, but I never understood why people try to skinflit on the one thing they are getting to use in the worse case scenario.

You’re asking about it because it’s cheap so just get one and try it.

Worst case scenarios are probably just breaking, flying off the gun or an explosion/fire.

Second that. Attach it, take it to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds with the light turned on. If it does not die, well, good enough.
Giving some business to low-cost competitors helps us all.

I went all-out on a light for my carbine...and I regret it. By the time I bought the "best" light, switch, batteries, mount and end cap...I could have bought another friggen gun! In theory, that "best" light is less likely to fail than a low-mid priced competitor like an O-Light, but I also could have bought four O-Lights for what I spent.

Second that. Attach it, take it to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds with the light turned on. If it does not die, well, good enough.
Giving some business to low-cost competitors helps us all.

I don't understand how giving business to a garbage grade chinese manufacturer "helps us all". The markets of people buying this level of
trash and the good stuff don't really cross. They can make a flashlight for 10 cents but its not going to change the price of the stuff that isnt
trash.

They can make a flashlight for 10 cents but its not going to change the price of the stuff that isnt trash.
Meanwhile, over at Baofeng...

If the size of the total market expands because more consumers
buy entry-level products due to the cheap prices,
then component manufacturers may drive their prices down
in order to service the demand.

Over the short term, those premium product manufacturers
taking advantage of the cheaper components
may even experience improved profits.

But if there's hope for any bottom-tier manufacturers over the long-run,
some few will improve their reliability as a side-effect of reducing
manufacturing waste and re-work, even if not as part of a goal
to sell a better product to a higher class of consumer.
And these improved mid-level products will eat away at the soft underbelly
of premium-tier devices' market share.

Either upper crust flashlight prices will have to drop,
or those manufacturers will keep their high margins
on sales of zero units.

ETA:
Think they're selling a lot of these bicycle headlights
whose battery fills an entire water bottle cage
just because they're marked down from $250 to $200?

4980show.jpg

Meanwhile, over at Baofeng...

If the size of the total market expands because more consumers
buy entry-level products due to the cheap prices,
then component manufacturers may drive their prices down
in order to service the demand.

Over the short term, those premium product manufacturers
taking advantage of the cheaper components
may even experience improved profits.

But if there's hope for any bottom-tier manufacturers over the long-run,
some few will improve their reliability as a side-effect of reducing
manufacturing waste and re-work, even if not as part of a goal
to sell a better product to a higher class of consumer.
And these improved mid-level products will eat away at the soft underbelly
of premium-tier devices' market share.

Either upper crust flashlight prices will have to drop,
or those manufacturers will keep their high margins
on sales of zero units.

I get what you're saying but I dont think thats the best analogy given the product depicted in this thread.

Baofeng at least sort of came up with its own product and so on. They dint clone anyone elses thing, they made their own pile of crap and sold it. (and seemingly, it was
refined over time, too)

This flashlight is more like "chinamen copy streamlight design, make cheaper. Change name when lawsuit happen. AIME high. " [rofl]

aime.jpg

This is more like Mr Fongs Shoe, IMO... vs a Baofeng.

View: https://youtu.be/F7wsBNqM8AQ?t=113

The technology and manufacturing for most lights could probably result in a price point closer to this one, including all the big names out there on the market that charge premium dollars.

Lol when the specification for

MTBF = "who cares?"

you can cut costs on nearly anything

that doesn't mean its some advancement in engineering or something. [rofl]

Lol when the specification for

MTBF = "who cares?"

you can cut costs on nearly anything

that doesn't mean its some advancement in engineering or something. [rofl]

I was actually pointing out that all flashlights, this one all the way up to Surefire, are rather low tech devices in terms of fabrication. Yes, the Surefire will have better LED's and machining, but does it really justify the 10X price increase? That's the question at hand. Some will say "yes" for the proven track record piece of mind. But without that consideration, a Surefire light really shouldn't cost as much as it does in parts and labor.

I was actually pointing out that all flashlights, this one all the way up to Surefire, are rather low tech devices in terms of fabrication. Yes, the Surefire will have better LED's and machining, but does it really justify the 10X price increase? That's the question at hand. Some will say "yes" for the proven track record piece of mind. But without that consideration, a Surefire light really shouldn't cost as much as it does in parts and labor.

Surefire is the high end outlier. Part of their price is kewl kid branding but the other 50% of it is they get new customers when people bought lots of cheaper shit that
failed. Eventually people get sick of dealing with bullshit that doesnt work and they go to the most established standard. At least its not devoid of substance to back up
the branding.

Look at the disparity between even this junk and say even Olight or other established chinese brands. This stuff is coming in at less than 50% of the price of their stuff. thats immediately suspect in my book. that means they're either stealing shit, cutting corners, not supporting product, likely all three.

Also if they were really that "low tech" to make what I would call a "critically reliable flashlight, " then they all would be really cheap. That obviously is not the case. Also surefire would have gone out of business a long time ago. It's obvious that theres a quality curve or engineering challenges in play.

I get what you're saying but I dont think thats the best analogy given the product depicted in this thread.

Baofeng at least sort of came up with its own product and so on. They dint clone anyone elses thing, they made their own pile of crap and sold it. (and seemingly, it was refined over time, too)

Ackchyually, while I don't know who really hit the market first,
I heard people talking about Wouxuns before Baofengs.

And I specifically remember my profound sense of relief
when Baofengs came out, because at least a Westerner
can labor under the impression that they can say "Baofeng".

Whereas when people were talking about Wouxuns,
they mainly talked about how to pronounce the word.
Which was a real buzz kill.

killington-familyguy.gif

This flashlight is more like "chinamen copy streamlight design, make cheaper. Change name when lawsuit happen. AIME high. " [rofl]
Oh, I know how it works.

I never compared the Wouxun vs. Baofeng UI,
so the following may be groundless libel, but...
...I was always suspicious that one was a pirated copy of the other
(unless both were clones of some common ancestor
who never made a dent on the US market).

@AHM

Don't forget Puxing

One of those 3 brands supposedly was hugher quality vs the other two

Why would you skinflint on something your life might depend on. Think about it.

How much is your life worth? ... if it is worth sh*t, then go for it.

Not attacking you, but I never understood why people try to skinflit on the one thing they are getting to use in the worse case scenario.

I remember about 12-15 years ago there was a guy in Massachusetts trying to fix a drainage issue in his yard. Definitely will cost less than hiring a company. He rented a small backhoe, dug the trench in very wet soil. He was in the hole when it caved in and he didn’t get out.

Your life and safety should always be a factor in any purchase or activities.

I remember about 12-15 years ago there was a guy in Massachusetts trying to fix a drainage issue in his yard. ... He rented a small backhoe, dug the trench in very wet soil. He was in the hole when it caved in and he didn’t get out.
[angry]
How's his lawn doing?
[shocked]
(Too soon?)
[hmmm]

I remember about 12-15 years ago there was a guy in Massachusetts trying to fix a drainage issue in his yard. Definitely will cost less than hiring a company. He rented a small backhoe, dug the trench in very wet soil. He was in the hole when it caved in and he didn’t get out.

Your life and safety should always be a factor in any purchase or activities.

I had a guy a few years back decided to act as his own GC on an addition he was putting on his home (he wasn't in the trades/construction). His brother the civil engineer drew up the plans. They hired a guy w/ Excavator who starts digging the area where the new addition foundation is going and ooops, the existing foundation on that side of the house falls away from the house. There was copious pantshitting going on after that, particularly because the brother worked at an engineering co and their liability policy wasn't going to cover it since he was doing a side gig. His homeowners insurance carrier was able to recover some from the excavators insurance carrier but it was a freakin mess to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom