• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Slide Rust and Customer Service

Just got off the phone with Glock regarding some surface rust on my very newish Gen 4 Glock 19. I am a little lost at the moment and wonder what I should do. After speaking with the very hostile customer service rep who essentially blamed me for storing and carrying the firearm incorrectly, Im starting to think maybe it is me. Wanted your opinion on whether to proceed with sending this slide back to Glock or to try and fix the issue locally.

The gun has been kept in an alien gear 3.0 IWB holster and carried most days. Its been shot and cleaned on a regular basis per the maintenance manual.

Part of my appeal towards the glock is their infamous durability and ruggedness. I understand nothing is fool proof but also feel I shouldn't have to be paranoid if a single drop of sweat runs down the slide.

Opinions?

Ouch.

That looks like surface rust, it might/should buff out with oil, rag and copious amounts of elbow grease. After that, get a silicon loaded cloth and make a practice of wiping the slide down. It's possible that your sweat is slightly acidic, some people's are. I buff each of my guns with slicicon cloths after cleaning them to get rid of any fingerprints I may have put/left on them.

I read other posters' comments, and went back and looked more closely at the pictures, particularly the third one. Radioman's right - that is pitting, it isn't going to buff out. Go back to customer service, that's not right. Surface rust is one thing, pitting's another.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Glock regarding some surface rust on my very newish Gen 4 Glock 19. I am a little lost at the moment and wonder what I should do. After speaking with the very hostile customer service rep who essentially blamed me for storing and carrying the firearm incorrectly, Im starting to think maybe it is me. Wanted your opinion on whether to proceed with sending this slide back to Glock or to try and fix the issue locally.

The gun has been kept in an alien gear 3.0 IWB holster and carried most days. Its been shot and cleaned on a regular basis per the maintenance manual.

Part of my appeal towards the glock is their infamous durability and ruggedness. I understand nothing is fool proof but also feel I shouldn't have to be paranoid if a single drop of sweat runs down the slide.

Opinions?

Thats not good. I would send it back.

My PPS did this when I carried it a lot IWB. It gets sweaty/warm/moist in the holster. Be more proactive about keeping it oiled.

Maybe try greasing the exterior of the slide with something like super lube. It will keep sweat off the metal and has rust inhibitors in it

My Gen 1 Glock 17 bought in 1987 does not show any rust on it after all these years.
I only clean it occasionally, so no special treatment.

Malodave

Send it back,and tell them you want a new one because that shit ain't right.

Almost all my glocks are the older gen 3 with the shiny teflon finish.

I will have have to keep a watchful eye on my 42 for this problem.

That's some good pitting there. Unless you struck it several times with a sharp metal object there's a factory defect in the slide that the tenifer process covered up when it left the factory and QC was on lunch break. (IMO)

Oh & id avoid scotch brite. It will take the finish off and make it look ugly if you weren't careful.

Seriously call them back, that is not normal, also if the holster is one of those crossbreed clones take it out and let the leather dry out at night. I switched to kydex/injecttion molded and I am not finding my gun covered in sweat like I used to

I had something similar happen to me with a Springfield XDM. The gun was cleaned regularly and slide wiped down with a silicon cloth and still got pitting in the serrations on the slide. Took it to my local gunsmith and he said it was clearly a mistake in the manufacturing process but Springfield wouldn't cover it. They wanted to charge me to refinish the slide.

+1 on something being wrong. I carry my Glocks in all types of weather, don't baby them and, quite honestly, don't wipe them down as much as I do with my more expensive pieces. No rust of any kind. Dat shit ain't right. Get on them.

I had something similar happen to me with a Springfield XDM. The gun was cleaned regularly and slide wiped down with a silicon cloth and still got pitting in the serrations on the slide. Took it to my local gunsmith and he said it was clearly a mistake in the manufacturing process but Springfield wouldn't cover it. They wanted to charge me to refinish the slide.

I was just about to post that I hadn't seen that in my XDM. I've been carrying it daily for 2 years now in a very similar holster to the ops. I take it out at night, re-holster it the next morning. It's in the holster 16ish hours per day in all weather and I'm not fantastic about oiling it all the time. The only thing wrong with mine is slight surface rust on the slide takedown lever.

No handgun under standard use should pit like that, one question though, do you take it out of the holster at night?

didnt read through all the posts but i also carry my glock IWB, from the pics and the TS post the first thing that came to my mind was the rust is from the sweat of your body, do you have the gun directly against your skin? it looks like some lube and some scrubbing will get rid of what little rust is there. i would look into getting it cerakoted

OMG a Gen 4 in Mass..Just Kidding. (if you live in Mass)
get a diff person on the phone and tell them you want to email the pics, that should get them to take it back.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I do carry the firearm but no part touches my skin and I do take it out quite a bit. It does seem like pitting and I don't like the idea of ruining the finish by essentially sanding the slide. I feel like oiling the firearm will simply take away the rust color and not actually treat anything, otherwise body shops would be out of business right?! "poor some oil on that ole ford".

I will try calling glock back again tomorrow.

I own/owned over a dozen different Glocks in the past 20 years and have never seen rust like that on any of them. I have Gen4s with no problem, and my primary EDC G27 for 17 years showed no rust even though if got submerged a couple of times. I finally had the slide cerakoted a year ago because the wear marks on the slide from the holsters were down to bare metal even though the tenifer process is still there, and still no rust. I don't know if Glock still uses the tenifer process for hardness and rust-proofing, but whatever they used on your Glock, it appears to be a coating process failure.

Keep hounding Glock to make it right for you (and do not take no for an answer).

Back
Top Bottom