• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Slide Rust and Customer Service

This is just neglect, that gun doesn't have a drop of oil on it even in the rails.

Lol not sure if serious, lube doesn't have much to do with anything that happened to the guns in the thread. In 92Gs case the areas corroded are... NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE LUBE IN/ON
THEM. [rofl] Glock upper internals are supposed to be bone dry and clean.

More periodic inspections on the other hand? yes. That is what prevents this sort of thing.

A friend of mine told me a story of a cop buddy of his back in the early 80's. The guy says, "Hey - you know about guns. Can you help me."

He had his service revolver IN THE HOLSTER for several YEARS. YEARS!!! LOL. Said it had effectively stuck to the gun and the gun wuddn't pretty underneath.

Lol not sure if serious, lube doesn't have much to do with anything that happened to the guns in the thread. In 92Gs case the areas corroded are... NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE LUBE IN/ON

More periodic inspections on the other hand? yes. That is what prevents this sort of thing.

This. I would think one wouldn't want the lube to seep down to the striker firing pin and onto the sear, reducing the friction coefficient on what prevents the gun from just releasing the striker. I mean, even then a Glock is still probably safe due to design tolerances, but you don't want to lube something not meant to be lubed either.

No shit. Don't be a dumbass. Key words there DRY & CLEAN. Any idiot knows the striker channel doesn't get lubricated, but that also doesn't mean it never needs to be taken apart and blown out or wiped out with some clp. My point is that even his SLIDE RAILS are bone dry, it's obvious that his pistol hasn't seen any maintenance in quite a while. Nowhere did I say he needs to lubricate his striker assembly.

This is just neglect, that gun doesn't have a drop of oil on it even in the rails. You have to take your carry gun out and strip it and clean the lint out and wipe it down and lubricate it once in a while, especially during the summer or when you're sweating a lot. I do it at least once a week. I know it's a Glock, but it still needs some maintenance. If you're trusting your life to the damn thing, take care of it. This internet reputation of Glocks and AK47s that can be never cleaned for thousands of rounds or buried in your back yard for months and still work fine is a total fallacy. Sweat is just as bad as salt water for corroding things, it can be acidic, it has salt in it, etc. No pistol, especially the springs and internal parts, will stand up to 30 days of being soaked with sweat and then being stored in a holster where it can never dry out, especially without any light coat of oil or anything to protect it.

not sure why i'm responding to this
are you a glock armorer? nope.
it is lubricated with mil com tw-25b
who the F has visible "drops of oil" after disassembly a carried pistol
some fuddy shit right there

there is no neglect
it is a heavily carried and used firearm
there is an issue with the finish on some gen 4's
well established

--
@Broccoli Iglesias

how can you say it wasn't 1 month? can I not count?
it was disassembled approx 1 month ago after range trip including the striker
re-assembled and put in holster
i have been sweating on it like a freak, jogging daily in 90F+ with huge amounts of my disgusting peri-menopausal sweat
wasn't really thinking about it until a month later

consider it a sweat test
apparently some gen 4's fail it
i suspect my other glocks would do fine

--
for those of you having a seizure right now, i'm not saying corrosion like this is normal. it ain't. but i also think my sweating all over the gun hastened it. i plan on updating the thread over time so it will be a fun rust experiment for all of us.

Last edited:
This. I would think one wouldn't want the lube to seep down to the striker firing pin and onto the sear, reducing the friction coefficient on what prevents the gun from just releasing the striker. I mean, even then a Glock is still probably safe due to design tolerances, but you don't want to lube something not meant to be lubed either.

jesus. lubricant will not allow the striker to drop. not never or ever. "friction" is not part of the safe-action system. i can hear @drgrant's head exploding right now. per glock the trigger bar - striker interface is one of the few areas that is supposed to have a small amount of lubricant placed after cleaning.

not sure why i'm responding to this
are you a glock armorer? nope.
it is lubricated with mil com tw-25b
who the F has visible "drops of oil" after disassembly a carried pistol
some fuddy shit right there

there is no neglect
it is a heavily carried and used firearm
there is an issue with the finish on some gen 4's
well established

--
@Broccoli Iglesias

how can you say it wasn't 1 month? can I not count?
it was disassembled approx 1 month ago after range trip including the striker
re-assembled and put in holster
i have been sweating on it like a freak, jogging daily in 90F+ with huge amounts of my disgusting peri-menopausal sweat
wasn't really thinking about it until a month later

consider it a sweat test
apparently some gen 4's fail it
i suspect my other glocks would do fine

--
for those of you having a seizure right now, i'm not saying corrosion like this is normal. it ain't. but i also think my sweating all over the gun hastened it. i plan on updating the thread over time so it will be a fun rust experiment for all of us.
I actually am a Glock certified armorer.
I'm also a mechanical engineer.

jesus. lubricant will not allow the striker to drop. not never or ever. "friction" is not part of the safe-action system. i can hear @drgrant's head exploding right now. per glock the trigger bar - striker interface is one of the few areas that is supposed to have a small amount of lubricant placed after cleaning.

Sorry--I should have elaborated. The firing pin safety (#2) will not be defeated, but the drop safety and striker pin (#3 below) are two very small surfaces in contact. In theory, oil should not cause any issues. However, given such small surface contact area, yes, I do believe any reduction of friction coefficient is not desirable.

glock3safeties.jpg

Update to post #38

extensive corrosion in striker channel, EDP channel and rear of slide. Glock instructed me to ship them only the slide. They re-finished it and had slide back to me in less than a week. There are still small pitted areas where the corrosion was heaviest, but it looks like the refinishing process removed all the active corrosion. I’ve carried it now for past month. without any evidence of new surface rust. I had to pay shipping to them (NBD) but otherwise their service was stellar.

Sorry--I should have elaborated. The firing pin safety (#2) will not be defeated, but the drop safety and striker pin (#3 below) are two very small surfaces in contact. In theory, oil should not cause any issues. However, given such small surface contact area, yes, I do believe any reduction of friction coefficient is not desirable.

View attachment 514168

no just no
no amount of lubricant, no matter where one applies it, will facilitate failure of Glock safety system. the caveat being if one jams thick grease in the striker block it could seize, but that’s true for any mechanical devices.

by your logic with enough oil one can use a hex driver on a Phillips screw
jesus

Last edited:
Back when I owned a couple Glocks, I noticed the slide finishes were different. Had a Gen 4 19 with a shiny, almost hard to grip slide that resisted fingerprints while my Gen 4 21 had a chalkier more scratch prone slide. Apparently they're both a tennifer finish but the Georgia made ones couldn't use one of the chemicals the Austrians could. Only difference besides the noticeable slide finish between the two were the Austria and USA origins. The G21 got scratched if you looked at it wrong [not that it matters of course]. Since, I've just kept a bottle of CorrosionX and a rag with some on it - at the end of the day when coming home, a quick wipe down (including sights) and then reholster and store in Kydex.

Back when I owned a couple Glocks, I noticed the slide finishes were different. Had a Gen 4 19 with a shiny, almost hard to grip slide that resisted fingerprints while my Gen 4 21 had a chalkier more scratch prone slide. Apparently they're both a tennifer finish but the Georgia made ones couldn't use one of the chemicals the Austrians could. Only difference besides the noticeable slide finish between the two were the Austria and USA origins. The G21 got scratched if you looked at it wrong [not that it matters of course]. Since, I've just kept a bottle of CorrosionX and a rag with some on it - at the end of the day when coming home, a quick wipe down (including sights) and then reholster and store in Kydex.

I honestly think for awhile in the Gen4 days they were f***ing around with different things for finishes. I have a couple of those guns too theyre fine, but the finish is different.

Now the process seems to be way more uniform. I have purebred "USA" and purebred "Austrian" Gen4 (20, 21) and Gen5 Glocks and they all seem to have the same finish now, or pretty close.

The Glock finish saga has been hashed out on forums for years now. the vast majority of talk is focused on aesthetic differences about which I couldn’t care less. My glocks are tools. scratches and wear from carry are badges of honor.

there are so few reports of poor finishes compromising function. As noted above I experienced this with one of my G17.4’s. Insane corrosion inside the striker and EDP channels. All that matters to me is that Glock took in the slide and had it back to me fully refinished in less than a week. With that type of CS Im willing to give them a pass on finish inconsistencies.

try getting FN or Sig to refinish a slide after years of carry and use. theyll either say it’s fine or send an invoice.

Glocks customer service has always sucked and always will

cerakote it and never worry about it rusting again

im not sure any brand of pistol has been subjected to harsh elements more than Glocks. I mostly purchase LE trade in glocks with significant surface wear from life in a duty rig. I like their markings and story behind the pistol. It’s also easier to tell them apart. Still it is rare to see corrosion issues. As noted above my only corrosion problem w a G17.4 was severe, but Glock refinished it within a week. My experience w Glock CS is an n = 1 so I cannot really comment on their overall service. there are frequent complaints but in almost every case the person whining can’t really explain the problem or it’s some minute aesthetic issue. Glock‘s policy appears to be one of ignoring these complaints and I honestly can’t blame them since they’re typically not functional problems.

my first G26.4 has some binding of the RSA on the lower when field stripping. It was causing some of the internal polymer to be scraped off. At that time I called Glock and the guy essentially ignored me and said ”pull the slide harder; it’s fine”. I was miffed by him BUT it turns out he was right. The G26.4 remains flawless although I’ve no use for it.

ive also seen two very dicked-up Glock slides from “professional“ cerakote jobs as the cerakote got into the extractor groove, EDP channel, striker channel. ive also seen people perform cerakote jobs without removing the striker liner, which will result in swelling of the plastic liner while in the oven. It’s an easy fix but it will result in nonfunctioning pistol.

I take no issue with cerakoting any firearm but it’s a cost and process that I cannot justify especially if Glock will refinish when needed.

Last edited:
Glocks customer service has always sucked and always will

Lol yeah it sucks so bad that they refurbed like 4 my guns (for the cost of shipping) repaired two and replaced one outright (the entire gun) for nothing, plus fixed a G42 and threw in an extra mag for my trouble. That's terrible! Not to mention a human being has answered the phone every time I called them. Simply awful.
I realize a lot of companies make mistakes but Glock is not even on my radar as a "company to bitch about the CS" *

The only company that has done better is HK. And that's not from CS. Their CS is terrible. But their shit never breaks to begin with. Out of an entire like fleet of USP and P2000, I had ONE gun break.

*i acknowledge downtrodden low IQ MA peeps have gotten the shaft from glock with will not repair and old frames etc, but if someone is that dense as an MA inmate (to not drive around the BS) i feel sorry for them. That's not Glock's fault.

Lol yeah it sucks so bad that they refurbed like 4 my guns (for the cost of shipping) repaired two and replaced one outright (the entire gun) for nothing, plus fixed a G42 and threw in an extra mag for my trouble. That's terrible! Not to mention a human being has answered the phone every time I called them. Simply awful.
I realize a lot of companies make mistakes but Glock is not even on my radar as a "company to bitch about the CS" *

The only company that has done better is HK. And that's not from CS. Their CS is terrible. But their shit never breaks to begin with. Out of an entire like fleet of USP and P2000, I had ONE gun break.

*i acknowledge downtrodden low IQ MA peeps have gotten the shaft from glock with will not repair and old frames etc, but if someone is that dense as an MA inmate (to not drive around the BS) i feel sorry for them. That's not Glock's fault.

HK make elite guns. Not for the poors, of course :D

I love it!
Glock owners brag about how they never clean or lubricate a Glock.[smile]
Glock Perfection! [rofl]

It's a tool. It rusted. Clean and oil your firearms. Especially the ones you carry more often.
Wipe it down daily and that is the best you can do.
Even stainless steel rust.

I'm glad they took care of it for you.
They have excellent customer service. I think the best in the industry.
You still own the most reliable pistol we have to date.
Enjoy your Glock and hopefully ammo prices will come down enough to shoot it more often!

Just got off the phone with Glock regarding some surface rust on my very newish Gen 4 Glock 19. I am a little lost at the moment and wonder what I should do. After speaking with the very hostile customer service rep who essentially blamed me for storing and carrying the firearm incorrectly, Im starting to think maybe it is me. Wanted your opinion on whether to proceed with sending this slide back to Glock or to try and fix the issue locally.

The gun has been kept in an alien gear 3.0 IWB holster and carried most days. Its been shot and cleaned on a regular basis per the maintenance manual.

Part of my appeal towards the glock is their infamous durability and ruggedness. I understand nothing is fool proof but also feel I shouldn't have to be paranoid if a single drop of sweat runs down the slide.

Opinions?

Happened to me too, storing in the holster and being sweaty will do this sadly.

My son's G26 did the same thing. the difference is. He walked the Appalachian trail. It had been wet quite a few times without the possibility of drying out quickly over a several months. So, I can't blame the gun. I think when Glock came to the states. The finish never was the same protection level.

My son's G26 did the same thing. the difference is. He walked the Appalachian trail. It had been wet quite a few times without the possibility of drying out quickly over a several months. So, I can't blame the gun.

Did it still work when he reached the end of his trip? all that really matters.

I think when Glock came to the states. The finish never was the same protection level.

Lol, that's basically more mythical wives tale BS. Glocks are a lot more resilient than most of the contemporaries, but still were in the same league with things like HK USP finishes etc, but it never matters for most people.

Something's ****y. Glock slides just don't corrode like that. If it was just marring I'd say who cares, but that's probably a metallurgy problem or something.

I'd make arrangements to get it sent back.

-Mike
I have 4 Glocks, one with years of holster wear. None show any signs of rust. that pitting almost looks like damage rather than corrosion pits.

The only place I would expect rust is an early Glock 21/45acp where there was a Glock non-recall recall that included milling a bit off the ridge inside the slide that rode on top of the sear plate as they did not re-Melonite (Glocks proprietary name for it escapes me at the moment) the slide after that tweak.

Just be aware you will probably end up with mismatched numbers unless Glock replaces the entire gun. Replacement slides will have a single letter serial # prefix that the last I checked began with "S". Two and three character prefixes mean "Scavenged slide".

Did it still work when he reached the end of his trip? all that really matters.

Lol, that's basically more mythical wives tale BS. Glocks are a lot more resilient than most of the contemporaries, but still were in the same league with things like HK USP finishes etc, but it never matters for most people.
Yep, still worked. We oil and brass brushed it and off it went back into the holster. The Tenifer process is different here in the states. The EPA is the cause. I remember torture testing these things. Months in sea water and no issues. Now, if you don't wipe them down it is on you for it rusting

Contrary to popular belief, tenifer, is a treatment, not a finish. As far as the Glock 19 is concerned, it had always been treated with Tenifer - until 2011, when Glock USA converted to an alternative heat treatment named Melonite. This was done after the EPA voiced concern over the chemicals used in the Tenifer process.

Try getting repair parts from them, or warranty for a cracked frame (which seems to becoming the norm lately)

it’s always like pulling teeth and I’m a Glock armorer

just commenting from my experience

im not sure any brand of pistol has been subjected to harsh elements more than Glocks. I mostly purchase LE trade in glocks with significant surface wear from life in a duty rig. I like their markings and story behind the pistol. It’s also easier to tell them apart. Still it is rare to see corrosion issues. As noted above my only corrosion problem w a G17.4 was severe, but Glock refinished it within a week. My experience w Glock CS is an n = 1 so I cannot really comment on their overall service. there are frequent complaints but in almost every case the person whining can’t really explain the problem or it’s some minute aesthetic issue. Glock‘s policy appears to be one of ignoring these complaints and I honestly can’t blame them since they’re typically not functional problems.

my first G26.4 has some binding of the RSA on the lower when field stripping. It was causing some of the internal polymer to be scraped off. At that time I called Glock and the guy essentially ignored me and said ”pull the slide harder; it’s fine”. I was miffed by him BUT it turns out he was right. The G26.4 remains flawless although I’ve no use for it.

ive also seen two very dicked-up Glock slides from “professional“ cerakote jobs as the cerakote got into the extractor groove, EDP channel, striker channel. ive also seen people perform cerakote jobs without removing the striker liner, which will result in swelling of the plastic liner while in the oven. It’s an easy fix but it will result in nonfunctioning pistol.

I take no issue with cerakoting any firearm but it’s a cost and process that I cannot justify especially if Glock will refinish when needed.
You’ve seen some shitty cerakote jobs then 🤣

Back
Top Bottom