Glock problem

How dirty are the magazines?
How 'bout the hinge area for the slide release?

I'd start there.

If that fails, I'd look at getting some new magazine springs.
How old is the gun/magazines?

Could be that her thumb is naturally resting on the slide release? I have that problem when shooting Sigs because the slide release is where the safety - and therefore my thumb - is on a 1911.

Alternatively, is it an older pistol? I eventually wore down the mag release on my M&P (apparently the first ones had relativelty soft steel on the catch) to the point where it would drop *JUST* enough to either fail to feed or for the follower to not engage the slide release.

Check where your/her thumb is. I had a similar problem until I realized my thumb was resting on the slide lock.

It iwas reloads from a reputable guy, never had problems. How would the magazines cause a problem?

Weak mag spring translates into weak force acting on the mag follower--which is what provides the force (when the mag is empty) to actuate the slide hold-open.

Weak mag spring translates into weak force acting on the mag follower--which is what provides the force (when the mag is empty) to actuate the slide hold-open.

This. The empty magazine, and specifically the shape of the follower, is what pushes up on the slide lock. I have a couple of M9 mags with worn followers. The left edge of the follower is rounded off slightly where it makes contact with the slide lock, so it won't push up properly.

Also over time the crimp that holds the wire spring on the slide stop can get loose, this will cause the slide not to lock back. Although damage to the mag follower or worn out magazine spring is more likely to be the problem. I would take a close look at both.

Cleaned the gun, wasn't bad at all. Comparing the two magazines there was a little difference. One seemed to have a little higher profile (not due to the spring). I switched the pierce grip extension to the other mag. Head to the range this weekend and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Cleaned the gun, wasn't bad at all. Comparing the two magazines there was a little difference. One seemed to have a little higher profile (not due to the spring). I switched the pierce grip extension to the other mag. Head to the range this weekend and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Wait, was the Pearce grip extension on the magazine that gave you the issue?

When I had my G36, FTE and other problems started happening after I put the Pearce Plus 0 grip on. I couldn't figure it out and it finally dawned on me what the issue was. I tried the standard magazine and it worked fine.

Have you ever fully disassembled it? I had one that the shop did this and did not put the slide stop lever back in correctly causing problems. If its not the mags, I would check the slide stop lever next, especially the spring.

Have you ever fully disassembled it? I had one that the shop did this and did not put the slide stop lever back in correctly causing problems. If its not the mags, I would check the slide stop lever next, especially the spring.

This is almost certainly the right answer. Your symptoms are a perfect match and it's a very common thing. It's easy to verify. Remove the slide and push up slightly on the slide stop lever - it should resist you, and try to spring back downwards. If it doesn't then it's either broken or more likely installed incorrectly.

To remove the lever, remove the slide, then push out the top pin, then push out the bottom pin while jiggling the lever a bit. You need to jiggle it because the bottom pin has a small groove in it that the spring sits in. Many people try to force it out with a hammer, not realizing this. BOTH THESE PINS SHOULD COME OUT WITH VERY MILD FORCE, OFTEN JUST USING YOUR FINGERS.

Make sure when you install the lever that you first install the top pin, then slide in the lever UNDERNEATH that pin, then thread the bottom pin through the hole in the lever. Test it again as described above, it should resist upwards force.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my 27. If you have old mags with aftermarket pinky extensions, the extensions are probably the problem. Either put the flat floorplates back on or get new springs and followers. Worked for mine and mine was made in June '97.

I have never fully disassembled it. Prior to me, it was owned by a police officer who carried it off duty down south. Never had any trouble til recently. I do think it was the grip extension as the two mags were slightly different and the one with the extension seemed to bring the slide release up slightly less when the slide was off. I only had the one mag with us at the time as I wanted to give my wife experience and practice on loading etc.

Last edited:
Uh. I'm assuming that was sarcasm. The problem was caused by aftermarket grip extensions reducing the preload on the magazine spring. So, yes, leave it alone and it will run.

This. People hate on Glock so much and it's really funny to me. If you don't want a reliable and renowned piece of Austrian tupperware, cool! Just leave more for me and we will get along great. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom