• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock or m&p?

So I have this constant debate with a buddy of mine that claims all day that glocks are the best guns on the market and always tells me that my m&p is junk. So I'd like to ask you guys your personal preference from anyone who has owned and or shot both. I have an m&p9c and he has a glock 26 if you wanted to narrow it down a little or just overall I'm curious to hear what you guys have for input

Some active discussion about the same topics can be found at the firearm area. You're welcone to join the discussion.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

Very similar designs, and two top quality manufacturers. Its an argument that will never be won, just like "1911 vs. Everything" and is "9mm enough for bear"[smile].

For me, I've never met a Glock that fit my hand right, the M&P fits perfectly.

So I have this constant debate with a buddy of mine that claims all day that glocks are the best guns on the market and always tells me that my m&p is junk. So I'd like to ask you guys your personal preference from anyone who has owned and or shot both. I have an m&p9c and he has a glock 26 if you wanted to narrow it down a little or just overall I'm curious to hear what you guys have for input

I don't even engage people in these types of conversations anymore.....it's dumb. There's enough information out there today, a person can make there own determination of what is Good or junk

I'm not afraid to call things junk. Just look at the Gunsite Scout Rifle thread. My M&P .45 is a nice gun, with the exception of the trigger which I replaced with an Apex.

B

The M&P isn't "junk" but I would take a Glock over an M&P any day for reliability and build quality reasons.

I've seen many problems with M&P's

The M&P is by no means "Junk" it Is a quality hand gun. Why do you think most police depts. are going that way, other than price. After a trigger job, it's a great firearm. Only real downfall is 10rd mag capacity.

Brought to you by texting and driving!

I own a M&P 9c and love it I still have not got the trigger job yet. I am going to get a glock at some point as well!! I agree getting into these type of debates don't go anywhere they both are reliable and most importantly they both shoot bullets...

I had an m&p 9c for a while, and while ultimately it was not the gun for me, there was nothing other than the MA trigger wrong with it. The trigger and goofy mag disconnect are easily fixed though. Can't go wrong either way. As others have stated there are no pre-ban magazines so you are stuck with reduced capacity mags. OTOH you are not chasing around pre-bans which carry the MA premium price and are not drop free. Shoot both, go with what you prefer.

My M&P fits my hand perfectly. The G26 that I picked up this week does not. I haven't gotten to the range with it yet, but ill bet its a fantastic shooter. But would someone please show me the hand of an Austrian gun designer? The grip hump on the Gen 3 G26 is incredibly ergonomically incorrect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Ford or Chevy? Hamburger or Cheeseburger? Glocks have the historical advantage and a proven track record while the M&P's are the new kids on the block. IMO it is all personal preference.

andypieces;2186096 Why do you think most police depts. are going that way said:
I have seen PD's carrying Sigma's. I don't thnk we want to follow their lead.

The Glock is a better built and more reliable gun. Thats from my personal experience owning both and from watching countless competers using them.

My personal experience with m&p are: front sight loose, manufacturing burrs, failure to extract, rusting under slide finish.

I know quite a number of people with sight drifting issues. Failure to go into battery issues.

I got mine to be reliable but it should have been out of the box. Manufacturing issues really don't have an excuse in this world of mass production.

I own both. The M&P is more comfortable for me and I shoot it better (all M&Ps have had trigger jobs).

As a Firearms Instructor, I bring both to let students make an intelligent choice, rather than choosing by reading/listening to the religious blather by lovers/haters.

I own both. The M&P is more comfortable for me and I shoot it better (all M&Ps have had trigger jobs).

As a Firearms Instructor, I bring both to let students make an intelligent choice, rather than choosing by reading/listening to the religious blather by lovers/haters.

this is good advice.

As a firearms instructor I offer both, explain both, but realize that the true value I offer is my experience. If a student who is brand new to guns shoots for 10 minutes thn decides they want to buy an AMT Backup and a Sigma are you really going to stand there and let them make their "intelligent" yet novice decision?

Your experiences may be different than mine but if I have seen more malfunctions in one gun vs another I'm not going to withhold that information from them in an effort to remain unbiased. I think that would be doing a great disservice to your students.

Ford or Chevy? Hamburger or Cheeseburger? Glocks have the historical advantage and a proven track record while the M&P's are the new kids on the block. IMO it is all personal preference.

Sums it up right here. Add in "whatever feels good in your hand", and you're on the right track to your favorite. [thumbsup]

At any rate, both brands are well built/designed, so you'll be pleased by either. I have both, I like both. (yeah, I pulled a Mitt by flip-flopping on the Glock [wink])

I've owned and shot both, not at the same time. Neither gun ever had a malfunction. I shot the Glock much better. I think the M&P feels better in the hand, but it did not translate to shooting better. I also think the M&P looks better, but I could care less about that. The Glock will fit in my pocket, but not the M&P. Why don't you and your buddy trade guns for a long range session and see how the other gun works.

As a firearms instructor I offer both, explain both, but realize that the true value I offer is my experience. If a student who is brand new to guns shoots for 10 minutes thn decides they want to buy an AMT Backup and a Sigma are you really going to stand there and let them make their "intelligent" yet novice decision?

Your experiences may be different than mine but if I have seen more malfunctions in one gun vs another I'm not going to withhold that information from them in an effort to remain unbiased. I think that would be doing a great disservice to your students.

That's hitting below the belt! [wink]

I owned an OMC Backup .380, it was the first model before the company changed names or sold out to AMT (not sure which). It was a beast, but it was reliable wrt going bang every time (and I shot 50-100 rds/week for a few years with that gun). The safety did break and was replaced but that's it for reliability. The 15+# trigger pull would give Marcia a mile-wide smile. I sold it!

I also owned a Stigma 40V, 5 parts broke after the 2nd mag (brand new gun). S&W repaired it and then I sold it.

My prejudice would show and if any student mentioned either gun, I don't think I could idly stand by.

But for the Glock vs M&P issue at hand, both are good choices if they work for the person.

As for reliability . . . my Wife's G17 went "rubber band" on me one day. Something broke and a Glock Armorer replaced all the parts and it now runs fine. The G23 I bought used had a broken locking block and likewise was replaced. NEVER had a problem with any of my M&Ps. But I don't condemn Glocks, they are all mechanical devices and subject to wear and breakage. I don't buy anyone's claim of "Perfection" either.

I assume that you recommend the Glock over the M&P. Do you explain the problems that you have had with both?

Oh great, another glock vs M&P thread. These always go so well, where's Dench?

The Glock is a better built and more reliable gun. Thats from my personal experience owning both and from watching countless competers using them.

My personal experience with m&p are: front sight loose, manufacturing burrs, failure to extract, rusting under slide finish.

I know quite a number of people with sight drifting issues. Failure to go into battery issues.

I got mine to be reliable but it should have been out of the box. Manufacturing issues really don't have an excuse in this world of mass production.

I've owned 4 1/2 M&Ps. All have been reliable out of the box. All the front sight issues I've heard of are with the Pros that come from the factory with it's own different sight. Most of the not going into battery issues are due to the crappy followers in the 10 round mags. Doing 10+1 and a press check will leave the gun out of battery.

I've run many shooters as an SO/RO and have seen issues with Glocks and M&P's with similar frequency.

Well I agree with everyone it's all on personal preference and I am in no means a hater of glocks I think they are nice guns just mass doesn't make it easy for us with them price wise. I also agree with the everyone who owns a mass m&p the trigger sucks and I plan on getting an apex kit to improve that. All and all I just think my buddy is mad cause he got screwed on the m&p 40 he bought before the glock and that I got a much better deal then him.

Last edited:

The Glock isn't "junk" but I would take a M&P over a Glock any day for reliability and build quality reasons.

I've seen many problems with Glocks. [smile]

Oh ya.... and type in "Glock Kaboom" in your browser... give that to your friend..

The Glock isn't "junk" but I would take a M&P over a Glock any day for reliability and build quality reasons.

I've seen many problems with Glocks. [smile]

Oh ya.... and type in "Glock Kaboom" in your browser... give that to your friend..

images

Back
Top Bottom