Glock announces G44 in .22LR

Yeah I wouldn't call a 10-round .22 pistol legendary, especially considering the gun doesn't have anything modern or interesting like a MOS slide. 20 rounds + MOS slide? I'd buy it. 10-rounds and I have to get the thing milled? Nah.

There's only a 4" barrel on it so its not even a really good option for most of what people would use a .22 pistol for, which is hunting and target shooting.

Glock, come back to us when it has a 5" barrel, MOS slide, and 20-round mag.
At least a threaded barrel, or the option for one (if this doesn't). But yeah, milled for MOS +threaded would get me interested as a suppressor host.
Otherwise, there's too many competitors priced lower and ready to roll.

At least a threaded barrel, or the option for one (if this doesn't). But yeah, milled for MOS +threaded would get me interested as a suppressor host.
Otherwise, there's too many competitors priced lower and ready to roll.

Exactly. The product video clearly shows an unthreaded barrel:

1575991119593.png

I know it doesn't seem like a big a deal that glock is making a .22lr. But they are still making guns and I think that should be important to all of us. I would rather a manufacturer expand their line rather than reduce it.

Exactly. The product video clearly shows an unthreaded barrel:

View attachment 317440
I'd be very, very surprised if Glock themselves or an aftermarket provider doesn't offer one--but that's more money to throw down.

The M&P 22 Compact comes threaded and can be had for like $250 or so. Therefore Glock needs to offer something "extra" other than its name, in my opinion, if they're going to charge a lot more. Price it $450 and sell it milled and threaded and/or like a 20rd mag and I am interested. Otherwise, pass. Just not willing to buy another barrel and get it milled right off the bat when competitors have similar offerings for less with that included.

Huh...the slide is polymer, save for the metal bars by the frame? Maybe that's how they figured out .22 pistol reliability. Also of note is the rear adjustable sight. Windage and elevation?

I'd be very, very surprised if Glock themselves or an aftermarket provider doesn't offer one--but that's more money to throw down.

The M&P 22 Compact comes threaded and can be had for like $250 or so. Therefore Glock needs to offer something "extra" other than its name, in my opinion, if they're going to charge a lot more. Price it $450 and have it milled and threaded and/or like a 20rd mag and I am interested. Otherwise, pass.

What I suspect is going to happen is this is going to be the first of a new line of .22 Glocks. So the G44 is probably going to be a proof of concept to see how they sell. That and this gun can be sold anywhere in the US as-is.

So this is something to watch over the next few years but this pistol as-is is kind of a weird duckling. It'll probably mostly attract casual and new shooters who want to buy a .22 Glock first and then transition into a G19. The suppressor crowd is going to want modifications like the obvious threaded barrel, etc.

This gun is probably for those guys who love their Glocks, but are pinching pennies on ammo. Most people who like shooting 22lr would probably prefer the accuracy of S&W, Browning or Ruger.

Yeah I remember people always say they want a .22 Glock because of the cheap ammo. Well, they got one. A Glock that shoots .22.

What I suspect is going to happen is this is going to be the first of a new line of .22 Glocks. So the G44 is probably going to be a proof of concept to see how they sell. That and this gun can be sold anywhere in the US as-is.

So this is something to watch over the next few years but this pistol as-is is kind of a weird duckling. It'll probably mostly attract casual and new shooters who want to buy a .22 Glock first and then transition into a G19. The suppressor crowd is going to want modifications like the obvious threaded barrel, etc.

Yeah I remember people always say they want a .22 Glock because of the cheap ammo. Well, they got one. A Glock that shoots .22.
I bet if you're an aftermarket company that was selling 22 conversion kits you're kind of miffed right now, lol.
Although you could also maybe start selling all kind of add-ons or other tweaks to the G44.

It mentions a "ghost ring" LCI so I wonder if this difference will mollify MA overlords. Probably not given the mutual animosity, but who knows.

Last edited:
Honestly speaking here, unfortunately I think they are using this to market towards "ban states," and are planning to adapt to a ban on "military caliber" firearms... I hope my tinfoil isn't wrapped too tight, but I think they would be silly not to potentially accomodate for such an event or to those that live under such rule currently.

Honestly speaking here, unfortunately I think they are using this to market towards "ban states," and are planning to adapt to a ban on "military caliber" firearms... I hope my tinfoil isn't wrapped too tight, but I think they would be silly not to potentially accomodate for such an event or to those that live under such rule currently.

That doesn't make sense.

Glock already sells in markets where civilian ownership of military calibers is a no-no, like Italy and Israel. People in those countries buy guns in calibers like 9x21 IMI or .380 or .357SIG or 10mm or... a bunch of other calibers that haven't been adopted by a military.

If Glock USA was actually preparing for such an idea, all they'd have to do is say "hey! you guys on the 9mm production line! switch over to 9x21 and .357SIG." Or .40S&W because that isn't a NATO cartridge.

That doesn't make sense.

Glock already sells in markets where civilian ownership of military calibers is a no-no, like Italy and Israel. People in those countries buy guns in calibers like 9x21 IMI or .380 or .357SIG or 10mm or... a bunch of other calibers that haven't been adopted by a military.

If Glock USA was actually preparing for such an idea, all they'd have to do is say "hey! you guys on the 9mm production line! switch over to 9x21 and .357SIG." Or .40S&W because that isn't a NATO cartridge.

Good points. You got me there.

Back
Top Bottom