Glock and M&P

Great questions...I must be new because I hadn't thought of half of those!

Turbo, that's exactly why I was looking for the differences between the two and not a "better or worse" argument. I agree, either one will suit me just fine.

I wouldn't pretend to know that one is "better" than the other, but a consideration factor for me was the fact that I'm left-handed. I like that the M&P has an ambidextrous slide stop and reversible magazine release. Probably non-issues for most folks, but makes a difference for me.

Great questions...I must be new because I hadn't thought of half of those!

Turbo, that's exactly why I was looking for the differences between the two and not a "better or worse" argument. I agree, either one will suit me just fine.

This is the one that counts, it's newest and hottest gun on the block... it's what the people's and the LEO's are all flocking too
!!

I have an M&P9 full size.

In MA I would say capacity is a big issue between the two. Being in CT and that not being an issue for me (along with not having to buy one with a 10lb trigger) I chose the M&P because my wrist did not like the grip angle of the Glock. I'll admit it's impossible to get an M&P to have as nice a trigger reset as a Glock. Even an Apex kit will not completely fix the fact that an M&P reset is complete dogshit. But it doesn't jack up my wrist, I shoot very well with it and with the 7k+ rounds I have through it I now know where the reset is by muscle memory.

The trigger pull and weight I corrected myself, the procedure for an M&P trigger job is easily found on Google. I took mine from the 4.5lb stock to just under 3 using it and it has been 100% reliable since doing it about 3k rounds ago. I removed the mag and take down safeties because they are for retards who think they can drop a mag while wrestling with a BG and idiots (or gov't officials in classrooms) who don't know how to unload a firearm before taking it down. Also I use it as my EDC.

Last edited:
I had to do all that stuff to my Glocks, too. Because, you know, they're essentially the same quality firearm. [laugh]

It's been said a dozen times already, but the answer is to buy and run the one you shoot best.

[laugh] I'm sure Red Jacket could add a grenade launcher to a Glock too. I was more talking about comparing a stock to stock. I think the Glock is a nicer gun off the shelf due to the trigger comparison and capacity.

OK, I didn't know if you had only tried the APEX AEK, which actually makes the reset worse than stock as it lowers the trigger weight.

Ah, I've tried guns with both. The Glock gives a real distinct tactile feedback that is just missing in the M&P, especially when wearing gloves. Again I went with the M&P and love it, so I'm just trying to provide some comparison feedback to the OP from when I initially tried both. I think you absolutely need to shoot both before buying one.

... the main thing that steers me away from the M&P's in MA is the lack of pre-ban mags.

Their ergonomics are different from each other.

...a part that might factor in is ease of field strip/takedown, i believe the m&p has roll pins...
All valid points. The only one that I considered a deal-breaker, personally, was the lack of full-capacity magazines for the M&P. I will say that it's pretty handy being able to detail strip a Glock using nothing but a ball-point pen... and if I don't mess with the magazine release spring, the pen still works when I'm done.

These threads have becoime a joke and fanboy based. Enough, research the history here and everything you want to hear has already been said. When it's all done, just buy what you want and shoot it till you feel copmfortable. You can not base what to get from anything written here. They are all good guns!! Toss a coin..
But one thing that does not get discussed is the smaller details between the two pistols. I have been trying to emulate M&P features on a Glock with part replacements. The Glock is a very solid pistol, but I find all the small "enhancements" on the M&P (extended/ambidextrous slide stop lever, enlarged and shielded magazine release, etc.) very nice to have. Keep that in mind... if you don't like some of the small details, you can change many of them.

Last edited:
Dream, the smaller details is why I started the post. Just wanted to know some of the intricacies of the two. I also acknowledge that as a newbie, a lot of those intricacies will be lost on me. I'm just a research nerd when it comes to buying things.

I own both, and the only thing I prefer about Glocks is the pre-ban magazine availability. I do not like paying 40% over new-in-box prices for a third generation Glock, regardless of condition considering it's not a collectors item.

I don't like having to dump an additional ninety dollars when I buy a gun to correct a sh-tty trigger but I absolutely LOVE shooting my M&P once it's fixed.

I'm actually looking to buy a M&P9c as a nice compromise between Glock's compact and sub-compact frames.

If i may , a part that might factor in is ease of field strip/takedown, i believe the m&p has roll pins to get to the firing pin/ ejector for cleaning vs a glock single backplate

True enough, but even on my Glocks I rarely take that part of the gun apart. I've owned a bunch of HKs, Sigs, and other guns with roll pins... and never had to take the upper apart on any of them.

If you run the guns hard (eg many thousands of rounds a year) then yes, this will probably be a significant advantage.

-Mike

If i may , a part that might factor in is ease of field strip/takedown, i believe the m&p has roll pins to get to the firing pin/ ejector for cleaning vs a glock single backplate

M&P striker assembly comes out just like a Glock. I cant remember the exact process, but IIRC it was press in on pin block, push the white collar around the striker down and slide the back plate off. Something like that.

The ejector comes out (falls out) when you remove the sear block. (one roll pin)

The extractor does require a pin to be taken out (solid pin I think, haven't looked) but unless its broken I doubt it'll ever need to come out.

Last edited:
absolutley Glock for me. I dont own an M&P but i have shot them and own 3 glocks. I love them. it certainly seems love it or hate it with a Glock though

I'm the proud owner of a Glock 22 and 27 third gen. They both shoot flawlessly and I can't recommend them enough. This has been my experience with every Glock I've shot. I have several friends with the M&P. They've all had trigger jobs or sold it because they hated shooting it at the range. The people who have the trigger jobs love the guns!

I have both the mp9 and glock 19. Since i got the glock i would have to say i like it more than the mp and its probably more because of the trigger pull than anything. Just my opinion though. But price wise, a new mp is more affordable compared to a used glock.

I had a m&p 9c I like the way it looked and felt but the trigger and the way to take it down sucked sold it went back to Glock and sticking with that

They are both outstanding guns, and I have owned each. For me the Glock has a better trigger, the mags are interchangeable in the given caliber, ability for hi-cap mags, and I am more accurate. I originally began with the M&P9 full size, and after several months purchased a Glock 26, 2.5 Gen. Liked the Glock so much I then sold the M&P9 and replaced it with a Glock 19 Gen 3. Never any issues with either regarding functionallity. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I have a Glock 19 and had an M&P 9c......I like the Glock better.....M&P a good accurate pistol......Did not want to pay for a trigger job and wanted a higher capacity weapon ......Sold the M&P, kept the Glock

I have a glock 19 gen 2 and glock 17 gen 2. Both with many unotch pre bans and plenty of +2 floors. Positive, capacity. If I am going to carry a compact 9mm it is the 19. Negative is the grip. I have large hands. I have not found a good way to make the grips large and comfortable. I have the hogue rubber overserts installed but it is not a perfect solution.

I also have a M&P with 9mm, .357sig and .40s&w barrels. Apex duty carry installed. I consider the trigger comparable to the glocks. Negative is capacity. Positive is flexibility of ammo. I don't carry this gone but I do use it for competing when 10round mags are not a disadvantage. Advantage to the grips also. Easily changed and the available large fits me.

I like the hogue grips on a p226 and 92fs better and prefer the da/sa guns to da only glocks and m&ps but that was not the question...

bought a M&P40 and got a trigger job done and i absolutely love this gun. fits my hand perfectly and is very accurate. I've also shot the glock which was good too, but didn't feel as good in my hand.

It doesn't HAVE to be pushed down. You can pull the trigger just like you do on the glock.

good to know info so if i ever get another 1 but don't have one now

When I had m&p 9c I tryed that did not work I had a Ma one that could not pull the trigger with out the mag ,

It doesn't HAVE to be pushed down. You can pull the trigger just like you do on the glock.

Awww, comon.... you're gonna wreck one of the few reasons for not liking the M&P... it's really a joke some of the excuses the fanboys come up with to knock an M&P...[rolleyes][smile]

I would bet he had a gun with a mag safety in it, which adds 2 extra steps to the whole process- you need to insert the mag, drop the striker, then remove it, and then you can remove the slide.

Obviously things are much better when you have one that doesn't have that crap in it, then it's not really much different from a Glock takedown, other than the big lever.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom