Glock and M&P

I am NOT asking the "Which one is better" question...just to get that out of the way.

I stopped by PAW tonight and had a great talk with the guy working there and another woman. They opened my eyes to a lot of issues and thoughts in terms of my first handgun purchase. I thought I was pretty set on an M&P 9, but am now considering a Glock 17 as well.

What are some differences and similarities that might stand out? I have applied for but not received my LTC yet so can't get hands on for myself yet.

PS. They both told me to get to a NE Shooters shoot someday--sounds like a great time.

Thanks all!

Both are nice guns IMO, the main thing that steers me away from the M&P's in MA is the lack of pre-ban mags. I'd much rather have 17 rounds in the G17 than 10 in the M&P.

I've owned both, I prefer the Glock.

in MA the only thing the m&p has going for it is price.

don't spend stupid money on a Glock, they are 500 bucks brand new anywhere else in the free world

And you will need to do a trigger on the M&P. The MA 10lb trigger is pretty bad.

However the Apex trigger is very nice. So add that to the expense.

you need run a few mags through both before you realize which one you will like. Their ergonomics are different from each other.

This. Chances are you will like one and hate the other, or at a minimum, you'll develop a preference.

If trying out the M&P... make sure to try one with a repaired, non gay, or at least a non-MA trigger. The MA trigger guns are basically broken and pretty much unusable.

-Mike

What's with the MA prices? I see new G19's for $499 online and used ones in MA for $599!!!

It's because of the illusion/perception of scarcity and the MA dealer compliance bulls**t. You can't buy the $499 one because of the AG's regs preventing dealers from selling/transferring them.

You could probaby finnd a 2nd gen G19 in MA for not too much money, though. Certainly less than $600 if you are willing to hunt around.

-Mike

If i may , a part that might factor in is ease of field strip/takedown, i believe the m&p has roll pins to get to the firing pin/ ejector for cleaning vs a glock single backplate

you need run a few mags through both before you realize which one you will like. Their ergonomics are different from each other.

This. Chances are you will like one and hate the other, or at a minimum, you'll develop a preference.

If trying out the M&P... make sure to try one with a repaired, non gay, or at least a non-MA trigger. The MA trigger guns are basically broken and pretty much unusable.

-Mike

These ^^^^^^

I have an M&P because I did like the ergonomics of it over the Glock, just personal preferance. - Try before you buy, always good advice.

That said my M&P is like a whole new gun after an APEX trigger job that brought the trigger pull to 5-5.5lb. - big difference!!
So it is very fair to say that the M&P costs LGS price (around $490.00 near me) plus $80.00 - $120.00 for trigger job.

Both are good guns, probably one or the other will be a great gun for you!! Hunting for the right gun, then the next gun is a lot of the fun!!

Most of all be safe and enjoy your first gun!!!!!

You can improve the M&P MA trigger by replacing the MA trgger return spring with the "free State" version for $2.75.

I am NOT asking the "Which one is better" question...just to get that out of the way.

I stopped by PAW tonight and had a great talk with the guy working there and another woman. They opened my eyes to a lot of issues and thoughts in terms of my first handgun purchase. I thought I was pretty set on an M&P 9, but am now considering a Glock 17 as well.

What are some differences and similarities that might stand out? I have applied for but not received my LTC yet so can't get hands on for myself yet.

PS. They both told me to get to a NE Shooters shoot someday--sounds like a great time.

Thanks all!

I am also waiting for my license and considered the M&P 9 and the Glock 17. I was actually able to try both of them back to back at American Firearms School in Attleboro. I liked the feel of the Glock. The Ma prices are crazy. I was actually able to find a 2nd generation police trade in at a shop in another state for 369. I hate to buy something without seeing it in person but I figured id take the chance. Good luck with your search. I hope your license comes soon!

-Mike

This. I hear alot of people say they don't care for the, "Feel" of the Glock while, "Handling" it but love actually shooting it. The other thing to consider with the M&P is the 10 round MA mags SUCK. You will have to file down the followers to jam 10 rounds in and even then it will be less than IMO industry standard to insert a full mag on a closed slide. S&W refuses to acknowledge this is a problem. With that said, I've put well over 1k rounds through my compact 9/40 with ZERO malfunctions. My M&P serves it's purpose, but if I were to do it again, ie mags, holsters, triggers conversion (Apex), conversion barrel etc. I'd go with the Glock solely based on the mags..

Last edited:
I've had several Glocks in 2 calibers 9 mm and 10 mm and in both cases I gave up on tryimg to shoot them accurately as the grip was too big for my hands. I've just purchased an M&P in 45 auto and found that the small grip adaptor fits my hand well. Granted you are limited to 10 rd mags for the M&P in Ma but who knows you might move out of Ma and be able to buy standard hi caps.

The M&P is more adaptable, more comfortable, and a more modern, updated version of the striker-fired pistol. Glock has stagnated their designs even with the new slightly modified variants.

There is a huge difference between the two of them if you are left handed and prefer to buy from a company that doesn't give you the finger.

Thanks all!

Go green. There is a post in the member only section about a small unofficial shoot on Saturday late afternoon. Send me a PM if you do and I'll be there with my M&P9c with a recent trigger job.

This, myself I rather buy a used Glock then a new M&P but that is just me.

I have both full size and shoot the glock better. At first it took a bit to get used to with the glock and almost gave up on it. I'm very happy I stuck with it since I shoot it very well now and would have missed out on a great gun. I still dont shoot my M&P that well. Although I did pick up a M&P Pro the other day with an Apex trigger in it and felt pretty good. For some reason it fells better in my hand than the regular M&P full size,and mine too has a trigger job. JMHO

These threads have becoime a joke and fanboy based. Enough, research the history here and everything you want to hear has already been said. When it's all done, just buy what you want and shoot it till you feel copmfortable. You can not base what to get from anything written here. They are all good guns!! Toss a coin..

But really the question is,
Which gun is better is it the 9mm or the 40 glock or the 9mm m&p vs the 40 glock or the 40 m&p vs the 9mm glock? Which has more stopping power? Which one should you take on a bear with? Which one is better to conceal while I'm in a stall dropping a duece in public? How about which one sounds scarier when you rack the slide to scare off bad guys breaking into your house ?

Back
Top Bottom