Glock 19 vs. Walther P99 vs. Sig 229

I'm sure I'm opening up a can of worms here but the more info I get the better for myself...

Been plinking with a .22 for awhile now and I'm interested in picking up compact 9mm for plinking and home defense.

Really looking for a good comparison of the best qualities of each (reliability, cost, parts, accessories... etc)

thank you!

I'm not a big fan of Walther anything, so I'll opine as to Glock and Sig.

Glocks are the Toyota of guns, cheap, reliable, lots of parts and accessories for them

Sigs are the Lexus of guns. Nice stuff, gets the job done, put a bit more expensive.

If you have the money, go for the Sig.

If you like plain Jane reliable guns, the Glock is not a bad gun, but in MA people want stupid money for them lots of times.

Have you ruled out the S&W M&P C series of compacts? Not bad guns for the money.

Here's what I tell first timers:

Glock 17 or 19
SigSauer P226 or P229
S&W M&P

All in 9mm. All simple, reliable guns. 9mm is cheapest, most plentiful and just find for self defense. You can carry any of these guns and you can 'play' with them in USPSA or IDPA. I've nothing against most of the other full or compact 9mms out there, these are just the best baselines.

Within these three, buy the one that fits you most naturally. If you handle and dry fire each of these guns, one of them is going to say "Pick me, pick me" louder than the others.

If you don't plan on carrying and the gun is for the range and HD - I would get a full size 9mm such as a glock 17 or sig 226. I would avoid the M&P as you don't want to be stuck with 10round mags for HD.

I hate DA/SA systems like the sig (I just don't shoot them well), so the glock 17 would be my choice. A 3rd gen with a rail light (for HD), a set of night sights and 7 or 8 17rd preban mags would be a nice setup.

I have had quite a bit of shooting time with all three (though the P99 I have is a compact model). I can't see any reason to go with the Walther despite it being a reliable and accurate gun. It's just another striker fired polymer framed gun, and if you want something non-Glock for some reason, take an M&P or even an XD. Just do it for reasonably priced mags and more aftermarket parts if nothing else.

Now the Sig, I personally hate for the same reason as Jose -- the slide release is in the wrong place if you shoot thumbs forward. And, I really don't like DA/SA much these days. But having said all of that, if you really like the Sig then it's a good gun, well built, and will run just fine. Some people complain about Sig quality in recent years, but the guns I have seen run fine. I still have a Sig P220 (.45acp) and I like it, even despite the ergonomics issues I have with the design. I'll probably sell it eventually because I think the M&P .45 is a better gun for less money, but I can't knock it if you like the design.

Finally, the Glock 19 really is as good as people say, mags are cheap, accuracy is solid, the gun runs without issue (don't know about gen 4s, however), and is remarkably light and compact for what it is. It's my daily carry gun.

I love my Sig 229. Everyone who has shot it loves it too.

Do yourself a favor and drive up to Manchester and rent all of the above, shoot them, and see how you like them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but you may like the ergonomics and just 'do better' with one of them. Personally (I am a new shooter), I had some trouble with my accuracy with anything with a polymer frame. I know that's weird but...what can I say...the targets speak for themselves. The Sig was MUCH better for me than anything else I shot. Terribly comfortable, accurate, just loved it and there really was no other choice.

I liked the Walther I shot a lot too, but just wasn't as good with it.

I've started training and carrying the "mexican way", 2' O'clock style. My G19 is fast to access and always in front of me. While seated, my G17 was simply too long and would gouche my thigh.The 19 is a perfect fit.

I agree for carry, the G19 is a sweetie (I love mine), but if I didn't carry, I'd have a G17 . Or, I'd have an S&W FS 9mm for the range and a shotgun for HD.

001-6.jpg

+1

Until SIG Sauer changes the location of the slide release on the P series, they are useless to me.

The slide lock shouldn't used to release the slide as it is meant only to be used to lock the slide back not release it. After a mag change your weak hand should always pull the slide back to chamber the first round of the new mag.

Of course this is my opinion but every military & police firearms trainer will agree. That being said I agree that the Walther P99 is at the bottom of the list. Sigs are great guns and I wouldn't think twice about having my P229 at my side during a firefight but I would certainly prefer to have my Glock 17 or 21. Actually if I had a choice off your list i'd take my 1911 over all of those.

The slide lock shouldn't used to release the slide as it is meant only to be used to lock the slide back not release it. After a mag change your weak hand should always pull the slide back to chamber the first round of the new mag.

A) Your opinion on how to release the slide on a semi auto is neither the last word on the subject nor taught by respected trainers like Larry Vickers and Dave Harrington, two men who have forgotten more about gunfighting than what you and I together will ever know.

B) The problem with SIGs is that my thumb rides on top of the slide release (yeah, I called it that because that's what I use it for) and keeps the slide from locking back on an empty mag. Kinda makes reloading quickly a pain in the ass.

Bottom line, for me SIG Sauer = ergonomic POS. I'd rather carry a revolver.

A) Your opinion on how to release the slide on a semi auto is neither the last word on the subject nor taught by respected trainers like Larry Vickers and Dave Harrington, two men who have forgotten more about gunfighting than what you and I together will ever know.

B) The problem with SIGs is that my thumb rides on top of the slide release (yeah, I called it that because that's what I use it for) and keeps the slide from locking back on an empty mag. Kinda makes reloading quickly a pain in the ass.

Bottom line, for me SIG Sauer = ergonomic POS. I'd rather carry a revolver.

I can see how if your thumb rides over the slide stop that it can present a challenge.

The reason for my opinion is that in a stressful situation it is more of a macro muscle movement to get your hand over to a 5"-7" slide and pull back to chamber a round than it is to get your thumb over to a 1/4" slide stop and push it down w/o slipping as under stress you lose find muscle control. I know of Larry Vickers & Dave Harrington and both are well respected trainers but I would have to disagree with them if they teach students to use the slide stop as a primary means of reloading. This is something that might be able to be overcome with many hours of training but they aren't doing any favors to their students if they teach this as the only way.

Of course this is my opinion but every military & police firearms trainer will agree.
fa? They teach these things to cops and the military because they're the simplest and lowest common denominator approach. They probably are best for guys whose guns would rust in their holsters if they didn't have to qualify every year or so. If I'm out of synch enough to actually have to reload from slide lock I release the slide with my thumb. Always. It's much faster and I do it almost without thinking. But what do I know, I've never taken one of those operator classes. I'm just a guy that plays games.

B) The problem with SIGs is that my thumb rides on top of the slide release (yeah, I called it that because that's what I use it for) and keeps the slide from locking back on an empty mag. Kinda makes reloading quickly a pain in the ass.....

This is endemic to Sigs and it happens to me sometimes. Still not enough of a problem to make me buy a Glock though.

The reason for my opinion is that in a stressful situation it is more of a macro muscle movement to get your hand over to a 5"-7" slide and pull back to chamber a round than it is to get your thumb over to a 1/4" slide stop and push it down w/o slipping as under stress you lose find muscle control..
So then you believe there is no point to developing a trigger press that breaks the shot without disturbing the sight picture, right?

After all, that's a fine motor skill that goes out the window under stress.

And if your pistol runs empty in a fight, just throw it down and run away. After all, there is no way that you can easily and quickly find that tiny little mag release under stress.

Dude, do whatever you like. But don't pee down my leg and tell me it's raining.

OBTW, I'd pay good money to see you tell Harrington he's not doing his students any favors. Those here who have been trained by him I'm sure would too.

So then you believe there is no point to developing a trigger press that breaks the shot without disturbing the sight picture, right?

After all, that's a fine motor skill that goes out the window under stress.

And if your pistol runs empty in a fight, just throw it down and run away. After all, there is no way that you can easily and quickly find that tiny little mag release under stress.

Dude, do whatever you like. But don't pee down my leg and tell me it's raining.

OBTW, I'd pay good money to see you tell Harrington he's not doing his students any favors. Those here who have been trained by him I'm sure would too.

I'm not faulting anyone for training that way i'm just saying that most shooters in a stressful situation will do better with the gross motor skill movements. I'm not saying that fine motor skills can't be learned (or rather conditioned) and used effectively but most will benefit by not using such techniques as using the slide stop to release the slide. Also most don't through the hundreds of hours of training required to learn and effectively apply such skills. Maybe you did .... if so kudos to you.

Also i'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you over training technique and what's better. It's up to the individual shooter what techniques work best for them. I don't care if Jesus Christ himself is teaching a course, he won't be teaching anything that applies 100% of the time to all students. And if i'm in a training class and see something the instructor is doing that I don't agree with i'll ask him why he thinks that's a better way. Maybe it is .. but I won't know until he tells me why it's better. After all that's why I go to training ... to learn.

thanks all for the info! mass-driver definitely has the set up I'm interested in. I'm down in RI so the closest I have to trying guns is AFS in Attleboro. I've handled and the fired the G17 and really enjoyed it, but would still be interested in something more compact and more comfortable for my wife too. I'm down in RI and I don't think we have the same reg's as in Mass, but on the flip side seems to be harder to obtain a CCW here...

I like SIGs and I like the DA/SA. Best to see what fits your hand best. S&W, SIG, and Glock are all top of the line handguns. Try them all then go with the one that works for you. Try a SIG 239 it is more compact than the 229 and shoot like a dream.

The Walther P99 is a good gun and probably will feel better in your hand then the other 2 you mentioned but the best way to know is to try them out.

I like SIGs and I like the DA/SA. Best to see what fits your hand best. S&W, SIG, and Glock are all top of the line handguns. Try them all then go with the one that works for you. Try a SIG 239 it is more compact than the 229 and shoot like a dream.

I agree with you about the Sig 239. It's a great gun. The problem is that it is almost exactly the same size as a Glock 19 and in 9mm carries just over 1/2 the number of rounds (8+1 vs 15+1). If Sig had managed a double stack mag then the 239 would be a lot more compelling for people who like the ergonomics.

Back
Top Bottom